Seishin - The story so far...(long read sorry!)

*update at the bottom* *i removed most of the text because even i got bored reading through, so if it doesnt make sense, apologies*

So thought id make a little thread about my short film, that im planning on filming very soon, which is extremely budgeted...

il start with the boring "about me" so at the beginning of this year, i watched some films and thought, i really wanna make a film, i know i could make it interesting (as does everyone), what experience did i have? well i did a 6 month course in media in the worst place possible, nothing worked and we had to film with crappy cameras that 4 year olds use, all we ever did was make e-learning videos, which again were crap..

so after shopping heres what i got as my final bit of equipment with a 2k sponsor:

canon 600d/t3i - 18-55mm IS mk2 - 50mm 1.8 mk2
Tascam DR-40 - Rode NTG-1 - Rode boom pole - Rode Blimp - XLR cable
Avantone Mixcubes - love these puppies
Dell U2410 monitor - colormunki display - il admit i dont know how to use it professionaly but have got my photos much closer in colour when printing to match the monitor.
battery grip - chinese one cheap
2 batteries - cheap again
cheap viewfinder - hardly use it to be honest
tiffen 0.4 ND
Hoya 16x ND
Manfrotto Carbon fibre tripod - not a video tripod but makes do for now
Manfrotto 501 Video head - beast of a head!!

so after that exciting two weeks of amazon shipping!!

time to find actors..

this is where things really slowed me down, i had no credit, the only thing iv ever done was acted in the royal albert hall when i was younger with a drama company, and also a few plays up north, so i decided, il be one of the actors out of the 4 needed, im good enough thats for sure, im serious enough thats for sure, now onto the others, i needed 2 males and a young girl around the age of 10..

i asked around but no one knew anyone, i was and still am too scared to put an advertisement out on gumtree or whatnot to find an actor who would star in my film for free, i mean its london who does things for free?

then i actually started using my brain, 3 days ago to be precise, i contacted my dad and within 2 minutes the position of the little girl had been filled, my lil half sister, she now has the costume, and awesome props! Pics coming in few weeks..

the other two roles, both were filled in by my friends, however i have a problem, one of these so called friends, has missed scheduled rehearsels with me 2 times, hes always busy etc, i mean iv said il give him £40 for acting which is a lot for someone who isnt an actor in the first place, anyways today i asked him to come and rehearse again, this time he managed to reply but not in the way i was expecting, he wanted me to go to his mums house and do it there? um no, i want to do it in the location i picked to get a proper feel for the place and get some test shots done!!!

im now seriously considering kicking him off the project and trying to find someone new and who will make it unlike superstar casanova... so i asked my other friend who is enthusiastic, currently taking drama classes and other film stuff, to see if he can find me someone, he said yep sure.. so this was today, im waiting anxiously for him to message me with a reply that hes found someone to fill in the part that i so desperately need to get this thing moving!!

so thats where im at..

i did post my script on here before but its an older version, il be providing a link to read it soon, but if you want to read it now just let me know, im sure youl like it :)

thanks for skipping the text and pretending to read...

yours truly
8salacious9

This will be an updating thread!!

*update 1*
So I kicked my friend off the project, actually I just stopped talking to him because he literally just wastes my time, I have now 3 adults who have little acting experience and a young girl (half sister) all filling the roles, only problem now is that the guys are in Oxford, so I'm waiting for a bit more money to pay for their travel and we will be ready for a first day test shooting practising script etc.

I have also shot a music vid few months back with another member on here, at the moment I'm working on text effects and provided some cutaway shots, so once that's ready it'll be linked up, it was definitely a valuable experience.

*update 2*
So i did a little test shoot with my half sister and propped her up, sadly i had no make up available for her aswell as no hair do, but I'm happy with the results so far,Click on the word > Seishin
545320_287918477994549_1942460172_n.jpg
317292_287917504661313_278013371_n.jpg

the second one is a possible poster draft for the movie, im stuck for ideas as to what i should have it as or any design ideas, but hey ho progress is progress and its making me hungry to make the film!!

*update 3*
Short update, I have had to discontinue contact with yet another actor unfortunately because of their lack of communication, so I asked some friends to share out an advert looking for an actor, it turns out one of my friends did a little bit of acting before and would really love to be part of the film and he lives nearer to London and he's got a really interesting voice to which has livened up my ideas for part 2 & 3 for the film, also I have nearly completed a kickstarter project that I will launch soon which we will ask for £1200 which I feel is a good price for this film considering actors travel costs and we also have a talented artist who will do an art book for us for a cheap price.

*update 4*
So after having the newly acquired actor, i decided to do a test shoot with him, basically running through the lines, it seems that i have to change my script dialogue, make the dialogue more natural to the actor so that it doesnt sound scripted.

I have planned for everyone to come down in december for 2 days rehearsal, then hopefully we will get 2 days in january to shoot the film, or maybe just shoot it in one day, but so far so good, im also getting all the actors at the moment to send me their lines, through audio recording, so i can give feedback and adjust dialogue accordingly etc, also im planning to put all the audio together, and maybe put it to the storyboarding, that way we can kind of visualise the story and they can get a better feel for it.

Last edited:
"Who will work for free?"

Lots of people, they're called aspiring actors :P

In lieu of money offer them a copy for thier reel and tell them you plan On entering it in a film festival (and follow through)

I recommend not acting in It yourself, because your focus should be on getting the best performance from your other actors but this is your film and ultimately film it as you see fit, just film it!

Best of luck!

Actors for free...??? If you are promising £40 in expenses, you can get some amazing talent. We had one, recognisable television actress (we saw her on TV two days ago), an outstanding Shakesperean actor etc...

This is London in the middle of a recession. There are zillions of actors, many of whom are incredibly talented!

Actors for free...??? If you are promising £40 in expenses, you can get some amazing talent. We had one, recognisable television actress (we saw her on TV two days ago), an outstanding Shakesperean actor etc...

This is London in the middle of a recession. There are zillions of actors, many of whom are incredibly talented!

Any tips ? Any websites or places in particular?

ok so we shot the first scene today it will probably only amount to 30 seconds or slightly more of footage but it took 3 hours to shoot in the freezing cold!

location was Hampstead Heath.

I will keep adding some pics that were taken and maybe some screenshots.

486214_408151602593980_965160080_n.jpg

Last edited:
sooo heres an extra late update to everything so far :)

We shot the teaser clip (not teaser trailer)
Thanks to Mike Mcguill who is on this site who provided the sound design for the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sef69UoWmcc

Then i had an interview (nothing big)

http://isthismoviesuitable.com/2013/03/14/itms-interview-alperen-emirzeoglu-creator-of-seishin/

Then I recruited some actors...

then we started shooting for the short version of the script, we managed to film 5 pages in a day, which was good considering the amount of angles we did, although i would have liked to film the whole 9 pages.

we got on imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2982940/

were also on twitter: www.twitter.com/seishinmovie which has been going pretty well in terms of promotion really recommend to people for potential links.

here are a few screenshots so far that are in very low quality and straight from T3i/5dmk2 *some with vfx, psd edit*

1004783_510780182320720_874770248_n.jpg

1012190_510780372320701_1412888801_n.jpg

969234_514870938578311_793147335_n.jpg

76026_521876974544374_1676707282_n.jpg

Last edited:
993361_521877324544339_1530575645_n.jpg

1002507_521877714544300_1513167185_n.jpg

1001237_521878144544257_1123922109_n.jpg

44658_521878484544223_1631867351_n.jpg

also here is an old updated version of our poster which will be changed:

312435_435598776505528_149292320_n.jpg

Also I would like to thank Indietalk member baoliun for his help (camerawork directing), without him i wouldnt have been able to go this far.

thanks guys, this is my first ever type of film, bar the music video I shot recently, so im happy with the results, Im not experienced in anyway, everything put together is merely based on the skill of everyone involved.

il keep the page updated as im expecting to create a short trailer with no special bits in it, then film the complete short script and make a proper trailer which will be EFFING awesome! theres one scene I cant wait to shoot :)

Back