TV as Monitor?

Hi,

I'm saving up for a new editing PC and I'm nearly there! :)

However, I'm going to need to pay around £150 or so for the monitor I want, which is going to take me a couple of more months to save up for. In the meantime however I intend to do some freelancing with video editing and visual effects on the new computer to save up money for other filmmaking equipment.

A lot of the work I'll be doing will be color sensitive, so I need the display to be properly calibaretd and extremely reliable. I currently own a "26 LCD TV which can be used for it, but I'm not sure how reliable they are for color grading etc...?

Any help would be great!

Hi,

I'm saving up for a new editing PC and I'm nearly there! :)

However, I'm going to need to pay around £150 or so for the monitor I want, which is going to take me a couple of more months to save up for. In the meantime however I intend to do some freelancing with video editing and visual effects on the new computer to save up money for other filmmaking equipment.

A lot of the work I'll be doing will be color sensitive, so I need the display to be properly calibaretd and extremely reliable. I currently own a "26 LCD TV which can be used for it, but I'm not sure how reliable they are for color grading etc...?

Any help would be great!

Yes it will be reliable for colour grading... for that specific TV only..

it will def show up as different colours on other screens

get an ips asap

It will work, but it still should be calibrated, even if it's an IPS monitor, it should be. Properly calibrated monitors cost many thousands for a reason.
If you're putting on a TV though, the most important thing is to make sure you're viewing it in the correct colour space, sRGB instead of cRGB.
Put up some SMPTE bars, and look for the plunge bars, they're on the bottom right, below the red bar. You can choose what mode to edit in, I use a TV and have it left at cRGB so it shows me what it will look like when converted.
Just something to potentially be aware of.

CraigL

With older operating systems, such as Windows Vista and Windows XP, the DOS information will not display with a digital connection, such as a HDMI cable, but will display with an analog cable such as VGA.

The older operating systems have color profile presets, such as sRGB. Windows 8 is moving in the direction of Pantone in that you must set up the red, blue, green, and black and white individually from zero percent to one hundred percent shading for each primary color.

Thanks everyone for replying.

Does your TV have a VGA and HDMI input connector as well as the computer?

Yep, VGA and HDMI.

It will work, but it still should be calibrated, even if it's an IPS monitor, it should be. Properly calibrated monitors cost many thousands for a reason.
If you're putting on a TV though, the most important thing is to make sure you're viewing it in the correct colour space, sRGB instead of cRGB.
Put up some SMPTE bars, and look for the plunge bars, they're on the bottom right, below the red bar. You can choose what mode to edit in, I use a TV and have it left at cRGB so it shows me what it will look like when converted.
Just something to potentially be aware of.

Thanks, never knew there were many variations of RGB. I thought it was just Adobe's standard and the RGB itself. I'll need to look more into that.
CraigL

With older operating systems, such as Windows Vista and Windows XP, the DOS information will not display with a digital connection, such as a HDMI cable, but will display with an analog cable such as VGA.

The older operating systems have color profile presets, such as sRGB. Windows 8 is moving in the direction of Pantone in that you must set up the red, blue, green, and black and white individually from zero percent to one hundred percent shading for each primary color.

The computer's probably going to be running Windows 7 so I should be fine.

Back