Cineform Alternative?

It's been a nightmare, a nonstarter to even get Cineform's free trial to install, open, let alone work on my PC, meaning I wasn't able to get it going, the trial time is up, and I don't know what. I'm about to uninstall it for the second time. Yeah, it's probably me, not them. But it's a bust.

Is there a decent alternative that's good enough for indie filmmakers and hobbyists that will be user friendly and work on my Windows computer that anybody here likes?

Last edited:
Download the GoPro software from Cineform for free. It's not trial software. How ancient are your computer specs, btw?

Are you wanting the Cineform to generate intermediary files? What is your main NLE?

I still find it easier to just use Adobe Media Encoder to convert everything into HD-sized MPG2 files, for Adobe suite.

If you're having issues with the software, contact their customer support. They're very responsive, or at least they used to be. I've gotten responses within an hour over a weekend in the past when I lost my license info and needed to reinstall.

Im doing a project with 5d2rgb, ppro, resolve9 work flow.

I had to modify a script to get 5d2rgb to batch mode convert my MTS files.

So far though, I like the 5d2rgb dnxhd files.

I edited a sequence of the dnxhd files in ppro, with time stretch effect applied, exported as Final Cut XML. I was able to import that XML file into resolve9 WITHOUT importing the clips (using the same source files I used in Ppro) and do a node based CC per clip \ and over all track. Rendered out of resolve9. It worked! Combine that with my post render muxing work flow and I got a real flexible flow!

Resolve 9 is pretty awesome.

Back