What program do you use to edit?

My art school made us buy the adobe creative suite, so I use premier pro and just started playing around in after effects. I am not really sure about what I should do in which program, yet. I also wonder what is the industry standard for higher level films starting at popular youtube videos, to indie films, up to major hollywood productions.

What do you use and for what type of projects?

Unfortunately the future of NLE's is in a state of flux.

Almost all of the TV shows I work on are still using Avid.
In the last three years the five indie features I did were all Final Cut Pro. Before that it was a mix between Avid and FCP.

Some editors seem to be giving FCX a shot. Some seem to be trying out different ones (Premiere being the main one).

With all the changes I think it's a bit of a wait and see at the moment. 90% of the jobs I am offered at the moment are still either FCP or Avid though.

I'm using Cyberlink Powerdirector 11, I got it for free from a friend :).
I think it's okay.
I would like to work with Adobe premier and after effects, but after reading about the monthly payment thing I'm not sure what I'm going to use.

Postfacto, there has been a significant lift in Premiere Pro for video editing since the release or FCX. Enough that I think it's a fair player in the Final Cut and Avid competition.

Yea Mile, from what I've seen in NYC editor's are checking out Premiere (as well as FCX actually) but very few jobs have been working on it. Don't know about LA or other places.

We're all sitting around trying to guess who's going to win this round. The whole subscription based thing has just thrown another wrinkle in it.

The reality now is that most of the big players are fairly close in functionality and features, so I wouldn't worry about it too much - your editing skills will be much more important than the particular software you use. Since you've already got premier focus on becoming a good editor with that, and once you're pretty comfortable with it see if you can get a little hands on time with FCP, AVID, etc later just to familiarize yourself with the interfaces a bit.

Since I'm an audio guy I use Pro Tools, and sometimes I use Digital Performer if the work I'm doing is heavily music oriented (singer/songwriters, etc.). But when I'm using DP I still port everything over the PT to mix.

premire is for editing, After Effects is for special effects that you do AFTER edditng.. get it. AFTER EFFECTS ....

For audio if you have CS, adobe Audition aint half bad, its no PT, but it does integrate nicely and has many good things going for it.. I use cubase for audio as Iv been a cubase user long before I was into film. PT I tried once, but my software\hardware support sorta ended. Which reminds me, I have a Digi01 .. cheap..

FCP at home/for my personal creative work, since that is what the educational institution I went to was focused on at the time I was purchasing personal editing software. I don't really like the lack of integration with AE, but what are you going to do? They're competitors.

At my 9-5 they use Avid primarily, but they also have CS6, and sometimes we use Premiere when there is a particularly stupid file format we have to work with (that's a great thing about Premiere is it takes nearly every format natively, even the weird ones).

Based on my experience, it's all pretty heavily based on precedent--if people have always used Avid, they're going to keep using it until something as good or better comes along IF AND ONLY IF IT'S GOING TO SAVE THEM MONEY TO SWITCH. Fundamentally, though, these programs are all very similar. If you get to know Premiere really well, it won't take you that long to transfer your skills to another program if you need to at some point.

Not sure how the Adobe subscription thing is going to affect the money question, but functionally I don't think any of the programs are going to change...?

PT I tried once, but my software\hardware support sorta ended. Which reminds me, I have a Digi01 .. cheap..

Imagine how the guys who own a Digidesign ProControl or a Control 24 feel. They will no longer be supported by Avid when PT11 comes out. Au revoir $20k or more!!!

To be fair, most of these guys got 10 or more years out them, and it was figured into their hourly/weekly/monthly rates, prorated, etc. But they still have no choice but to acquire a new control surface; which means ripping apart the studio, installing the new console, rewiring, testing, trouble-shooting, etc., etc., etc.

I'll most probably have to replace my trusty old DIGI002 as well; not looking forward to the expense or the installation.

I just got Adobe Premiere Elements 11 for the new computer I am putting together and the PowerDVD suite is included with the LG Blu-Ray Burner. Little by little, I will build it up, as funds permit. The hardware is powerful enough for editing RED. I may even look at an AVID package as well as a new version of Vegas.

My laptop has Sony Vegas Pro 8 and Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0. I have Sony Sound Forge and several plug-ins for audio editing. Nero suite is on the laptop for DVD authoring. I also have DVD Architect.

PS: I am very pleased with the DVD authoring I did with Nero for the Bare Bones Film Festival. I will burn another copy of the same DVD for the B-Movie Film Festival.

Last edited:
Imagine how the guys who own a Digidesign ProControl or a Control 24 feel. They will no longer be supported by Avid when PT11 comes out. Au revoir $20k or more!!!

To be fair, most of these guys got 10 or more years out them, and it was figured into their hourly/weekly/monthly rates, prorated, etc. But they still have no choice but to acquire a new control surface; which means ripping apart the studio, installing the new console, rewiring, testing, trouble-shooting, etc., etc., etc.

I'll most probably have to replace my trusty old DIGI002 as well; not looking forward to the expense or the installation.

They're still selling Control 24's though? Or is it the older C24?

I find Avid + Pro Tools a great combination for video editing :) I just use an Mbox for PT - my audio needs don't necessarily warrant much more.

They're still selling Control 24's though? Or is it the older C24?

Distributors are still selling the ones they have in stock, but Avid is no longer making them. They will no longer support them, but they might still work with PT11.

Consoles/controllers like these are mostly for working professionals anyway. As one pointed out on another (audio) forum "... after more than 6 years using my Control 24's I sold them. It cost me less $1.50 a day to own them."

That's the key to equipment purchases. How much usage do you get out of it? That's why I encourage people to rent rather than buy. You'll spend $1,000 on my recommended sound kit and use it for four (4) days. That's $250 per day. You could hire a real professional for that kind of money!

Back