• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sony monitor issue

I doubt anyone can help me with this, but just in case...

When I picked up my Apple G5 last year to edit my feature, I bought 2 monitors to go with it. One is a plain old computer LCD to use for the editing interface, the other is a Sony Bravia HDTV to view the video full-screen.

When I first began using the Sony, I noticed that the picture would dim whenever a dark scene came onscreen (since it's a horror movie, there are quite a few of those). It was obviously some sort of image enhancement circuitry at work. I shut off everything I could find in the setup menu, but it still kept happening.

I called Sony support and was told to take it to a Sony repair facility; stupid advice, since the thing wasn't broken. It was clearly designed to do this. Otherwise, the picture was outstanding.

I went ahead and edited the movie, trying to ignore the dimming thing. That worked out okay, but now I've moved on to color correction. Trying to grade the dark scenes with this monitor is a virtually impossible task. A year after I first called about it, I did a Google search and found out that so many Bravia owners had complained about this exact problem that Sony wrote a firmware upgrade which added the option to shut off the ACE, or Advanced Contrast Enhancer.

I called Sony again to request the upgrade and, after dealing with multiple layers of automatons, was finally told that not enough owners of my particular model had complained about the issue, so it wasn't included in the firmware upgrade, and they had no intention of taking the time to add it just to please my sorry butt.

So now, it seems, I'm stuck. I've been switching back and forth between monitors trying to grade my dark images, but the computer monitor doesn't give accurate colors and I can't see anything on the blasted Sony.

I'm hoping there is some option besides replacing what is essentially a brand new $500 monitor...though I doubt it.

That sucks boss. On my last film I noticed it looked different (it was a high contrast black and white movie) on ever TV I played the DVD on. On set for this film I noticed the footage looked different on the 7" marshall monitor vs the 17" waveform monitor. I don't know how you guys (who color correct) do it.

Yep. NTSC = Never Twice the Same Color.

I have the same experience with the DVDs I produce. Seems like there was a thread about that not too long ago. Someone commented that there is some kind of secret method pro DVD manufacturers use to make sure the colors look good no matter what TV the disc is playing on. I'd love to know more about that; it's so friggin' annoying!

Back