Monty Python: The Thread of Absurdity, Nonsense and Silliness

I'm not sure how long it will take before a policeman steps in and shuts this thread down but until then let the absurdity, nonsense and silliness related to all things Monty Python commence!

What is your favorite Monty Python sketch/movie and why?

For me my favorite movie of theirs is Monty Python and the Holy Grail because it is the very first thing that got me into Monty Python in the first place. There are so many great scenes and every member does a wonderful job in the many roles they portray. Every time I view this movie I concentrate on one particular member and focus on what they are doing in every single scene they are involved in and every time I always pick up new things.

There's also the small things I like, for example in the scene when the townspeople have the 'witch' and Sir Bedevere is asking them questions there's a part where Eric Idle almost cracks up laughing so in order to stop himself he bites down onto the top of the scythe he's holding. That kind of thing in comedies always makes me laugh - the actor struggles to stop from laughing in the scene.

Monty Python also fits my sense of humor perfectly. I love how absurd things can get.

One of my favorite sketches is the Argument Clinic. I love the performances from the guys in this. Graham Chapman cracks me up as the guy who hurls verbal abuse at Michael Palin's character, Eric Idle has the same effect on me when he starts complaining and the back and forth between Michael and John is wonderful. The icing on the cake for me is when Terry Jones hits Michael over the head with the hammer and the sketch ends with the policemen entering one after another.

Holy Grail. This is the one that had me laughing the most. It's chock full of absurdity, references, strange changes in tone, random changes in what visual medium we are seeing the film in (claymation, animation, etc.), pointless 5 minute dialogue sequences, over the top violence, and a title sequence that rivals Vertigo and Se7en.

Although Life of Brian and Meaning of Life are up there too. So much great satire and mockery. Plenty of puns, cleverly set up misunderstandings, historical mockery, and downright funny sequences. Meaning of Life probably contains some of my favorite MP scenes, some that rival Holy Grail. But yeah, Holy Grail is #1 for me.

My favorite film of theirs is definitely The Life of Brian. I did not see when it was released in theaters, though I recall all the protestors outside with their picket signs, etc. That certainly made an impression on a very young me.

Best tv sketch ever? I forget what it's called, but it has two men on a riverbank and they slap each other in the face with fish. So short, but funny. :lol:

Has there ever been a decent transfer of Life of Brian and The Holy Grail, btw? I've owned both on VHS & DVD, in both PAL & NTSC formats and the image has always been muddy as all getout.

Edit: The Fish Slapping Dance :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o

Last edited:
Life of Brian is probably the most irreverent, hilarious movie made. It was absolutely brilliant, not only in its humor, but the cutting satire. They even removed a few scenes, like the jewish nazis (who are the crack suicide squad at the end, but not knowing that makes it more random anyway).

I saw it in the theaters as a teenager, and "Brian" was the only movie where I nearly passed out from laughter. I literally couldn't inhale and started blacking out. With head between my legs and my ears covered so I couldn't hear, I was finally able to draw a breath.

It was THAT funny to me, but I realize that their humor (er, humour) is not for everyone.

That said, I have a great fondness for Holy Grail, too. That also had me rolling in laughter, but nothing close to passing out.

My favorite sketch is "How Not To Be Seen"

It was just hilarious every step of the way. It was also another one of those "violent" sketches that, if it were made today, all the immature, uptight people who can't stand hearing the word poop, or seeing a shred of sexual humor and violence would protest over.

My favorite movie would be "The Meaning of Life."

During the show, Flying Circus, they struggled to come up with a lot of material, so there's a butt-load of crap in those old episodes. Hell, they've said so themselves. But by the time they made this movie, they were officially the masters of sketch comedy. Every sketch is pure gold, filmed beautifully, and they all have a nice theme that links them together, as well as some nice messages and music.

To date, this is still one of their best songs, just behind Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

Last edited:
I think Holy Grail. No, Life of Brian. No... ohhhh, I don't know.

I can't really remember particular scenes for the TV show. Guess I should get the videos.

I think someone posted this here some time ago. Very cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5fGSBsfq8

When I was a kid PBS aired the TV show. That was brilliant. And I knew it was the one show on TV that, amazingly, you might get a glimpse of naked boobies. Hey, quite thrilling. So that was another motivator for watching it.

The Spanish Inquisition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07ISfx_5b0

I'm fond of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Who can forget the Black Knight scene?

I've always loved Tim, the enchanter, that his name is Tim, lol.

Back