Movie Nerds of a Different Sort

What the hell is wrong with these people?

Why do they even watch movies, when they are apparently distracted and bothered by the most minor of incontinuities? And how do they even notice these things? In order for them to notice that say, I dunno, a bag has moved to a slightly different location between shots, I feel like they're not even paying attention to what they're supposed to be paying attention to. It's like they have ADD, and their attention is wandering all around the screen, focusing on things that don't matter. WTF?!

Heh, sites like that are awesome. :lol:

Anytime you get a sloppy director who, when told of continuity issues on the set, shrugs them off & insists that the audience is stupid and won't notice it... email him/her links to these sites. :bag:

We have an occasional tv program here called "Greatest Movie Mistakes". There was a new one on just the other week. I couldn't see half the "mistakes" even after they were pointed out!! Rediculous...

Of course, the Stormtrooper banging his head is quite a good one!

"When Connors becomes a humongous Lizard, his robe magically grows from a Medium size to an XXL."

.............. wow...........

We have an occasional tv program here called "Greatest Movie Mistakes". There was a new one on just the other week. I couldn't see half the "mistakes" even after they were pointed out!! !

That program is awful. Supposed to be humorous I guess but it's really petty and daft.

People enjoy movies for different reasons. Who are we to decide that nit picking movies/tv shows shouldn't be fun for someone?

People enjoy movies for different reasons. Who are we to decide that nit picking movies/tv shows shouldn't be fun for someone?

We are filmmakers, that's who we are! :)

If you were a chef, would you not get annoyed by patrons who looked past a beautifully delicious meal, so that they could notice that the plate it was served on had a slight wobble?

If you were a musician, would you not get annoyed by audience members who ignored a brilliant live performance, because there was an almost imperceptible amount of static that occasionally could be heard in one of the speakers?

Yes, I find nit-pickers annoying, not just as a filmmaker, but as a friend when discussing movies. Jeez, can we just watch the dang movie?

And yes, I will admit the storm-trooper bumping his head is pretty funny. How the heck did I never notice that, in any of the five billion times I'd seen the film? :lol:

For a really awesome "how did I miss that?" blooper... PeeWee's Big Adventure

...when PeeWee opens the secret entrance to the bicycle hiding spot, look to the left side of the door...

I feel like I would slap some of these people in the face if I ever met them. Just reading through Argo's:
Factual error: The turbans worn in the scenes in Tehran are not the sort worn by Iranian clergy - they are wound incorrectly and are too flat.

Factual error: They play a track "When the Levee Breaks" from a Led Zeppelin album. The hand shows the needle being placed at the next to last track on the album. Any fool knows, however, that "When the Levee breaks" is the last track on Led Zeppelin IV's second side.

Factual error: The interior shots of the Swissair 747 cockpit show a mockup. The window frames as shown are very wide and thick, but the real ones are much thinner.

Factual error: When Ben Affleck and John Goodman are eating on the studio lot, they are drinking from Solo cups with the Jazz design on them, seen in many modern cafeterias. This design was not available in 1979/80.
Like, really - who cares? What difference does it actually make to the movie?

If you were a chef, would you not get annoyed by patrons who looked past a beautifully delicious meal, so that they could notice that the plate it was served on had a slight wobble?

Probably. I would get annoyed, but my job isn't to worry about everything that could possibly happen. It's also not to hold up to unrealistic expectations that some people have.

As filmmakers, our job is to build up an audience for our films, not restrict it to those who we like. If those people get their jollies nit picking at films, no matter how annoying I would find it, there's a few more bums in seats for your film.

Like, really - who cares? What difference does it actually make to the movie?

While it is my personal preference to simply enjoy a movie, I often find myself thinking why did they do that or cringing over things I see as errors when a movie has removed me from my suspension of disbelief. (If I'm not enjoying the movie, I might as well learn what to do/ what not to do while I'm here). I don't take to the extreme and publish every detail on the internet but that's just me.

While it is my personal preference to simply enjoy a movie, I often find myself thinking why did they do that or cringing over things I see as errors when a movie has removed me from my suspension of disbelief. (If I'm not enjoying the movie, I might as well learn what to do/ what not to do while I'm here). I don't take to the extreme and publish every detail on the internet but that's just me.

I totally agree. Big errors that take you out of the movie are never a good thing. But things like:

Factual error: They play a track "When the Levee Breaks" from a Led Zeppelin album. The hand shows the needle being placed at the next to last track on the album. Any fool knows, however, that "When the Levee breaks" is the last track on Led Zeppelin IV's second side.

Really just is not a deal breaker, in fact I don't think I'd even call it an error.

But things like:

Really just is not a deal breaker, in fact I don't think I'd even call it an error.

Holy crap. Someone seriously listed that as an error. To tell you the truth, I can only hope to make a movie worthy of someone picking it apart like this. I gather people don't waste their time picking apart those low budget mock busters?

Factual error: When Ben Affleck and John Goodman are eating on the studio lot, they are drinking from Solo cups with the Jazz design on them, seen in many modern cafeterias. This design was not available in 1979/80.

When I make a movie, maybe I might just put those things in to keep them busy? ;)

Back