• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My first music video needs critique

Hi everyone,

I made a music video. It is my first. I would like to hear your opinion. It is a hip hop with lyrics that may be offensive to some, not my choice, it is the artist, but I'd like you to look past the content and focus on cinematography and production value. So here it is:

http://youtu.be/7INldzlmvsI

Also please like and subscribe, I try to do all kinds of things whenever I got time so if this is not your cup of tea, there will be more content that might be more interesting to you.
Thank you very much.

I didn't like it, bored, turned off.

The rap was terrible and needed a lot more than a basic shoot and go video. Camerawork was solid with good shots, a decent bit of movement and good angles. However, rap this bad needs more of a lift and this could be done in the editing suite or story.

Colouring and lighting could have been better.

The rap was terrible/QUOTE]

**painful**

cam work alright. i hope you got hella paid, otherwise i wouldn't associate myself with this trash

my best advice: work with an artist with a vision, a goal, a plan, and it will elevate your work too. cause really, this just looks like any other bs reason to go out and shoot something, just without any sort of real exercise in mind

haha i do see where you're coming from with that, but for me, i disagree, and here's why: i've been in oli5Ds shoes, doing shitty rap vids for the exercise. you don't know how many times this poor guy had to listen to Primo Live's shitty ass song throughout this process start to end, i feel so sorry for you oli!

i do gotta give you props tho, it's great to be out there practice, more than i can say for myself in the past month or two. good on ya, keep doing it, you'll get better artists to work with. honestly things can ONLY go up from my main man Primo

The closeup on the phone, "Well fuck U then bitch" killed me and I turned it off.. Dude, good camera, good cinematography, but no joke; the song was boring and the beat was boring which, actually, fit the mood of the video.. Very slow, very boring. A guy walking around really bored.

Thank you for all the comments. I appreciate your opinion. I am open minded and try to make the best out of what I got, I don't do this professionally, there is not much around as a startup you don't have a choice. You should see my other video here .. http://youtu.be/CmOHFtdh8Uo Just to get an idea what kinds of gigs I'm dealing with lol.

Hi,

Just took a look at the video. You certainly got some nice shots, but they didn't really say anything. It came across as I'll just shoot something on the day. I agree above that the subject looked pretty bored as well. Maybe that's the vibe he wants though. The edit was a little lackluster too. Just sort of plods along. We've all been there though.

You will get better the more you do. Watch a tonne of videos from that genre. See what everyone else does. Then do your own thing.

I've done (well, co directed) one sort of hip hop video and I expressly forbade the guys from 'spitting' at a low angle fish eye camera. So We had them in a tv and on money for some cutaways while we focused on a story element. Colour grading is a big thing too. I tend to go really contrasty adding imperfection to the image with grain because I don't like footage that looks 5d (even though thats what I shoot on).

Anyway, the only way is up. Plan more, shoot more yadda yadda yadda. Hope my rambling comment helps.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the comments. I appreciate your opinion. I am open minded and try to make the best out of what I got, I don't do this professionally, there is not much around as a startup you don't have a choice. You should see my other video here .. http://youtu.be/CmOHFtdh8Uo Just to get an idea what kinds of gigs I'm dealing with lol.

Absolutely hilarious! That is so funny! It's like a parody, only better!

I think the camera work is the main positive. Whether you've been trained in this or not, I think you've got an eye for aesthetics. Only critique I'll offer for the camera work is that it sometimes felt a little too centered for me, and not in a Wes-Anderson-defiantly-symetric kinda way, but in an I-just-picked-up-a-camera kinda way.

My main problem with the video is the content, or lack thereof. It doesn't matter how many locations this dude walks to, it's still just a dude walking around and sitting in various locations. You gotta give us something more than that.

You've got some good positives to work on, so keep at it, and thanks for sharing your work! :)

Yea, I agree with the others...he talks of growing plants...show us the plants (even some young tomato plants will look the part)...he talks of rolling blunts...show us them blunts....he talks of the chick that left him, so show us a hottie etc etc etc...

His rap was boring, and depressing, and it even felt like he didn't give a damn about representing himself....which was terrible...I almost felt like things would liven up if he dived into the freezing river and pretended to be drowning...now that would have livened it up a little....that sort of thing though. Being on a no, to low budget, with nothing to work with, still gives you options.

Well, it is what it is, I don't really have too many offers to do any gigs, frankly I don't have time either. I am still learning, not a pro by any stretch of imagination. With the fortitude ranch I really expected to make a nice video of bed and breakfast and then when I found out what it was really about I almost turned immediately and went home. The music video was yeah pick up the camera and go so whatever happens, that's because the guy wanted to shoot a video, wasn't sure what song, gave me couple ideas, changed the location and the ideas like ten times and up until we got to that lake I had no idea what are we shooting lol. Well, something we have to deal with in this business I guess. I am looking for more work, I wish I could do interviews but I get what I get, each gig is a learning experience. And there are some crazy people out there Lol.

Back