Problems with film partner...

Okay, so, I'm taking a film class this semester. The first major project we're doing is a minute long short.

We've each been paired with a partner for logistical reasons. That's where my problem is.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but my partner is completely incompetent in almost every way. I'm by no means an expert, only having done one film, but he's completely clueless.

I think the main problem I'm having is that it seems like he's really only there to play. Not to be a prude, but there's almost no interest in being serious or making something even remotely worthwhile.

If he was slacking off, I'd be totally cool with it. This isn't a terribly difficult project, and I feel like I'm more than capable of handling it on my own.

The issue is that he keeps interjecting asinine, bullshit 'suggestions'. However, he's almost completely unable to accept constructive criticism. If I don't accept every idea he puts forth, he starts to get upset.

One time, while we were developing the main character (physicality, how we want to direct our actor etc.), he suggested that we just make him Gollum from LoTR. Like, we directly rip off the character. He said it would be funny.

I'm not above being the asshole here, but I'd like to avoid it. Right now, though, it seems like it's either that or make a piece of profound crap.

Any suggestions?

Hmmm.... Thats tough. I mean you could always talk to your teacher, but that can go either way. You could also just tell him he is being a dick (maybe not quite like that) and tell him that not all of his ideas are gold and neither are yours. I can't relate to a problem like that in a film setting though. Good Luck!

Seven months into film school in a class that started over 140.

Make a profound piece of crap. Put your credit as Alan Smithee. Take note to not work with him ever again if possible.

And by all means do not oust yourself as an asshole.

I'm not above being the asshole here, but I'd like to avoid it. Right now, though, it seems like it's either that or make a piece of profound crap.

A major part of learning to make movies is learning how to work with unreasonable
people. You cannot keep him form making terrible suggestions and you cannot stop
him from being upset. You can only control how you react. Let him get upset. Learn
how to work with people who are upset for no reason at all. A valuable tool in the
directors toolbox.

You don't need to make a piece of profound crap but you will likely make a 60 second
short film that isn't up to YOUR expectations. Take some of his suggestions. Allow
him to feel he contributed. It's ONE project. It's a 60 second movie. Rise above him
and be the better collaborator. Then move on.

The problem with these kinds of projects is that there's nobody in charge. Filmmaking is ABSOLUTELY a collaborative process, but there needs to be a chain of command.

I suggest you take Rik's advice, but if you're unable to make things work with your partner, I don't think it'd be a crazy thing to simply tell your professor that you and your partner have irrevocable differences and that you'd like to work on your own. Your professor might tell you to bite your lip and find a way to work with your partner, or they might challenge you to find a way to make it work on your own. I was faced with a similar situation in my first filmmaking class; I ended up separating from the rest of my group (two art students), and all parties ended up feeling that was the best decision (and we all got good grades, though mine was better, haha).

I think you should look at it as a great learning experience. How does one work with someone like him? Try out different techniques and see what works. Use this opportunity to experiment.

Sorry about your situation though.

One technique I use is to ask the person to "practicalize" it for me. So if someone says, "Well, as the building is burning down, this German Shepard is going to pull his unconscious body to safety by the leg, and it will be the best scene ever," you say "that sounds fantastic. Absolutely great. Terrific. Let's do it. But I don't know where we're going to get a burning building, or a dog that is trained to pull somebody by the leg, do you? And we only have a budget of $300." If he has a pet trained dog, and a building to spare, you're in luck, otherwise you move on to something else that can be shot in the time frame that is alloted.

Back