Location Scout.

I'm producing and directing a micro budget dramatic short film in New York and am in need of a house to use as the story's location. I'm especially looking for a place with that is varied enough to conceivably serve as a couple different locations in the story.

I inquired with a location scout who said that, despite my miniscule budget, she was sure she would indeed be able secure a location for me. But I have questions as to the typical process of working with a scout.

1. She said her finders fee is 20% of the total rental amount. Is this about average?

2. To begin looking and referring locations to me she requires I pay half of the total of the targeted location fee. The other half would be due when a the location contract is signed. So, if my location budget totals $1,500 she would require $750 to even begin to search. Is that typical of reputable location scouts? What happens if I pay her half the money but she doesn't find a place suitable for the film?

3. She asked to see the screenplay for the film. I assume that's typical, but I also imagine she could also do her job without seeing a full screenplay, working with detailed descriptions of what types of places are being sought.

4. What else is important to know about working with a location scout on such a film?

Thanks in advance.

1. She said her finders fee is 20% of the total rental amount. Is this about average?
Seems reasonable. Maybe a little high. There's room to
negotiate.

2. To begin looking and referring locations to me she requires I pay half of the total of the targeted location fee. The other half would be due when a the location contract is signed. So, if my location budget totals $1,500 she would require $750 to even begin to search. Is that typical of reputable location scouts? What happens if I pay her half the money but she doesn't find a place suitable for the film?
Ask her. And get it in writing. Again - not unreasonable.

Seems reasonable. Maybe a little high. There's room to
negotiate.

Ask her. And get it in writing. Again - not unreasonable.

Okay. Thanks for your input.

Generally, if a location scout does not find an appealing location within a set time frame, would they be required to return the money the client had paid up front when the process began?

Okay. Thanks for your input.

Generally, if a location scout does not find an appealing location within a set time frame, would they be required to return the money the client had paid up front when the process began?
That should be set ahead of time in writing. They are required to follow
the contract you agree to. So these questions should be addressed to
the location scout. And (again) get everything in writing.

I would expect a location scout to charge a set fee rather than a percentage.
You found one who charges a percentage - like an agent. the downside
I see to this method is an agent gets paid when the make a deal. the
more money they get the more money they make. Your location scout
has an incentive to get the most for a rental. Say they find the perfect
location and the owner is asking $500. That's $600 to you; $500 for the
rental, $100 for the location scout. Very reasonable. But if the scout tells
the location owner you are willing to pay $1,100 that's $220 for the scout
and $1,320 to you. She tells you you saved $180.

So as you can see 20% is reasonable - making $100 to find and secure
a location is fair. But it's open to abuse. Get everything in writing and ask
this location scout the questions you are asking here. You are paying this
person to do a job. ASK them everything that concerns you. We can offer
generalities and opinion - she will tell you specifics. And negotiate. Don't
accept the first quote.

That should be set ahead of time in writing. They are required to follow
the contract you agree to. So these questions should be addressed to
the location scout. And (again) get everything in writing.

I would expect a location scout to charge a set fee rather than a percentage.
You found one who charges a percentage - like an agent. the downside
I see to this method is an agent gets paid when the make a deal. the
more money they get the more money they make. Your location scout
has an incentive to get the most for a rental. Say they find the perfect
location and the owner is asking $500. That's $600 to you; $500 for the
rental, $100 for the location scout. Very reasonable. But if the scout tells
the location owner you are willing to pay $1,100 that's $220 for the scout
and $1,320 to you. She tells you you saved $180.

So as you can see 20% is reasonable - making $100 to find and secure
a location is fair. But it's open to abuse. Get everything in writing and ask
this location scout the questions you are asking here. You are paying this
person to do a job. ASK them everything that concerns you. We can offer
generalities and opinion - she will tell you specifics. And negotiate. Don't
accept the first quote.

Thanks for the insightful post. I'll definitely keep your points in mind, have everything in a written agreement and negotiate a better rate.

I just did a quick search for you on Airbnb with the parameters of it being a house in new york city with 4+ bedrooms and where you can rent the entire house. It came back with 112 results and some of them look really amazing.

Maybe try contacting some of the owners yourself to see if you can negotiate a special price in exchange for 'exposure'?

I'n not going to argue that doing the work yourself might have its
advantages because it does. Sometimes, however, hiring a skilled,
connected person to do what they do best also has its advantages.
Most location managers already know location owners willing to rent.
They can even offer several locations for the filmmaker to choose
from in their area and within their budget.

I, personally, would rather pay someone with experience a few hundred
than do the location scouting work myself.

Aidbnb home owners are prepared to have people rent their home to
stay in - not to make a movie in. I suspect few are looking for exposure
to more low budget filmmaker wanting to take over their place with a
cast and crew. Having a couple or a family stay in your house for a few
days is very different than having a cast and crew (with equipment and
parking needs) in your place. So I would advise caution when using a
"hotel" site to find shooting locations.

You're totally right, Rik. I wasn't trying to suggest someone should just book a house or room on there without contacting the owners to see if they are open to that use. That's my bad if it came across that way.

I do still see a lot of potential on that site or others like it for finding leads on locations. I have a friend with a killer apartment in Chicago that has had The Onion come and shoot a couple videos there. They originally contacted her through her ad on airbnb. That's where I snarfed the idea from.

You're totally right, Rik. I wasn't trying to suggest someone should just book a house or room on there without contacting the owners to see if they are open to that use. That's my bad if it came across that way.
Not at all. I simply advised caution. Nothing more. Nothing more implied.

I just did a quick search for you on Airbnb with the parameters of it being a house in new york city with 4+ bedrooms and where you can rent the entire house. It came back with 112 results and some of them look really amazing.

Maybe try contacting some of the owners yourself to see if you can negotiate a special price in exchange for 'exposure'?

I've actually been doing just that (in addition to looking for scouts) with mixed results. I haven't mentioned exposure. Most property owners I've contacted that way charge a much higher rate for film shoots as opposed to regular guest rentals.

Why pay for a location scout? There's a zillion location services with websites where you can browse locations! A lot of people are using Air B n B too. But if you like giving away money go ahead and hire a scout to look over these websites for you.

Back