• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Linux anyone?

Hi,

I've been doing some introductory reading on Linux and on a purely geek level it interests me. I'm playing with the idea of setting up a dedicated Linux machine and using it purely for production work.

So what I want to know is there anyone here who has had experince of video editing on a Linux programme -- the one I'm thinking of is Cinelerra -- but I'm interested in any others that people have used.

I currently use FCP HD, so that's my benchmark.

I'm on OSX, but spend most of my day in the command line :)

For open source creative software, I run with -

Jahshaka
blender
Inkscape
gimpshop

and I have clamav as an antivirus scanner.

I can't quite get cinelerra to compile under osx...even with the step by step instructions :(

I can't quite get cinelerra to compile under osx...even with the step by step instructions

I hear that's a common problem -- I think most people use another programme (Kino) to get the video in and converted to QT files and cinelerra seems to cope pretty well after that. Although I hear that it has a tendency to crash during fx rendering!

Try VideoLinux. It's a free distro that comes with free video and audio editors already integrated and ready to run. It's the closest thing that I've seen to a true plug-and-play video editing distro.

I'll have a look at that -- thanks.

Last edited:
Other than the philosophical reasons for using Linux and open source, if you're using FCP and happy with it then why switch?

I am very, very happy with FCP, but because I work a lot with socially deprived groups I'm always keeping my ears open for ways of doing things that are free or next to free. Linux and open source offers a way of doing that legally.

I'd be very surprised if I ever used anything but FCP for cutting my own stuff -- but some of the people I work with could benefit from a free system, providing that it's robust enough to do the job.

I also have lots of mates in the music business and most of them are currently Linux nuts -- as video production tends to follow in the music industries wake techically, I always keep an eye on what they're up to because in the past it's allowed me to predict future trends in video.

Plus, I'm just naturally curious and like to learn stuff all the time -- so even if I never use a Linux system, i can guarantee that learning about it will allow me to build that knowledge into a character profile in one of my scripts further down the line.

Excellent points, clive, particularly about helping out those who can't necessarily afford the pro stuff.

Personally, I've already got two Mac systems and two XP systems, so finding the time and resources to experiment with Linux isn't the most feasible. I've played around with Knoppix, but I'm unfamiliar with the software available other than what also runs on PCs and Macs.

I'm REALLY considering switching to Linux. If I can find some reasonable software for purchase or for free that will allow me as much control with color grading as I have on windows I'm gone. It's really annoying having a wonderful 64bit processor and not being able to take full advantage of it!

I've been following Jahshaka for a long time now in the background. It's really starting to develop into a useful program. I'm going to see if I can't get them to expand the color correction capabilities. If so - good bye windows! I'd LOVE to give Gates the boot.

I've been looking at Gentoo Linux recently. Anyone have experience with it?

Who is gates? ;) I'm an apple guy, I gave him the boot after flight simulator 1. Jahshaka seems very powerful, but the display time under OSX is really slow once you start to actually apply any effects or anything at all. Is this the case on other platforms? But the motion tracking seems pretty solid! I'm mainly looking for a free image stabilization package, but if it does anything else, that's a plus.

Being a *nix guy for many years, I'm happy to announce that the latest version of the most popular Linux distribution Ubuntu 6.06 was just released today, June 01.

I'm going to download and install it tonight and install a few NLEs on it. I'll write up a 'report' as to what I find works and dosen't work.

That would be much experinced -- I've got a lot more reading to do before I commit to either an Linux OS or media applications -- so the more info the better.

A review of the new operating system would be very welcome.:)

Loud Orange Cat said:
I have 14 Linux boxes at home I use. Been a Unix geek since the mid '80s.

Try VideoLinux. It's a free distro that comes with free video and audio editors already integrated and ready to run. It's the closest thing that I've seen to a true plug-and-play video editing distro.

we were just talking about this on another forum. If I partitian my drive, can I run linux as an option on startup? or do you need to create a boot disk?

i dont have a floppy, and I dont know how to make one. "partician magic" asked me to make a boot disk, but I didnt have a floppy to create one. I was reading the manual and it talks about a virtual disk (im guessing making a CD instead of a floppy). But I didnt know how to make one and the manual didnt tell me. They expect you to know this stuff, and their help support cost money.

I dont see how Symantec can stay in business without free support. :grumpy:

BTW, I meant I dont have a floppy drive, not just a floppy disc. Most new computers dont even have them anymore.

ubuntu.com

I've successfully installed Ubuntu 6.06 and I must say, I'm impressed.

This is the closest thing to a *nix-based usable plug-and-play desktop I've ever used.

Positives:

* Installation was a breeze. It recognized every piece of funky hardware on my PC.
* If you plug it in a USB device, it will be recognized.
* All major applcations preinstalled.
* There is a native version of the 'Kino' NLE available for download through the 'Add/Remove' program. w00t! Major points!!
* CD and DVD burning applications preinstalled too!
* No configuration required for a simple desktop, just turn it on and it works.
* The Desktop CD can be used as a Live CD so you can try it without it writing anything to your hard drive.
* Free updates for 3 years (3 years for the desktop OS, 5 years for the server OS).
* Plugging in my iPod brought up the sound jukebox application (free iTunes equivalent).

Negatives:

* Language compilers and MP3 decryptors not installed by default (But can be intalled easily using the 'Add/Remove' app).
* No legal DVD decryptors available for Linux (They can be found on the 'web though, not legal, so I don't suggest using them).

I'm totally shocked that there's a native version of Kino available to download. This is a major score for us filmmakers. Now, we have no reason to keep a Windows box around anymore.

I suggest to anyone looking into a Linux solution to download and evaluate Ubuntu 6.06. This is the first major distribution with a native NLE application and support for it.

-----

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I'm writing this from my Ubuntu install. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I did boot from the CD without installing the OS and was impressed with the little I messed around with it. I've always toyed with moving away from Windows (which I did when I went Mac a couple of years ago) but I've always kept a PC for the rare occassion I wanted to play a game. (Unfortunately the PC still rules this market.) Linux has always impressed me though and I have to say Ubuntu was by far the best Linux I've toyed with thus far.

I plan on getting a laptop for screenwriting purposes later this year so I'll probably create a dual boot system on that.

Thanks for posting your more experienced opinions on Ubuntu!

Back