• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How was this done?

It looks like some type of gradient with a yellow tint? Something looks different with this clip but I can't pinpoint it. Anyone have any thoughts on this videos look?

Link

It's done with a split filter - either an actual glass one on the camera, or simulated in post.

Go through a Tiffen catalogue sometime. There's tonnes of combinations of colours.

It looks like some type of gradient with a yellow tint? Something looks different with this clip but I can't pinpoint it. Anyone have any thoughts on this videos look?

Link

http://www.cokin.com/ico15-A.html

I've had similar results using the Cokin filter system. It allows you to do grads and filter effects optically which can't be recreated digitally since a lot of that information is well outside the dynamic range of HDV. The Cokin system is pretty inexpensive and can yield looks you never imagined, definitely worth playing with.

I like to be able to control this stuff in post, especially with a hand held camera in a boat. I was able to see the line. You could whip through that with After Effects with minimal time and effort keeping just the sky yellow.

The thing I hate most about graduated filters is camera movement. They look fine in still shots (when done right), but once you move the camera you see the "line" as Blade said. Watch CSI: Miami (horrible show lol), they use a graduated filter on almost every exterior shot.

Back