16/9 optical conversion lens worth it?

I am pondering the purchase of the century optics 16/9 or anamorphic wide screen conversion lense to mount to my Cannon GL1 for my next project. Does anyone have any experiance with wides screen conversion lenses? Compositional problems can be fixed with an LCD converter, but I am not sure that a diaptor would be sufficient compensation for the loss of focal depth, as zooming capability is limited. Will this complicate my production imensly?
I supose I am most worried about lense flares, soft focus, and a lack of focal depth.
Any words?

J. De Ford

Hi J,

We used an anamorphic lens on a Panasonic DVX100A while filming my short, and it was exceptional. Easy to use from my standpoint. Of course, mine was a simple shoot, with minimal camera movement - if that factors in strongly as a negative when it comes to the lens, I might not be aware.

I liked the look of the finished product so much that I recently purchased one of these lenses off eBay (saved about 150 bucks - picked it up from a guy in LA who had bought top-notch gear to shoot a film then never got around to it). Bought the camera back in June.

Good luck!

steve

I use ana lense its great. It has some limitations. If you have a lot of shots with a shallow DOF .. then you have some issues (I have mixed some squeeze footage with ana footage - seemed ok and wasnt a long shot so detail difference not so noticable). Also make sure you read up on focusing this lense correctly, its a minor challenge when you first use it.

Back