8mm format

I bought a used samsung 8mm camcorder. It's relatively new, for being from '01. Is the quality enough to make a film for an amateur filmmaker? I'm trying to get started and it was cheap. There is no way that I have money to buy anything above say $250. lol... Plus was also curious about he percentage of all of you that started buying equipment with a credit card and decided to pay it off slowly, which i know is not smart but credit card companies love it. I'm tempted to but i know it's not wise to simply "charge it".

Disc

Just say no, to credit cards.

By the time you've sold your first-born in 10 years and finally crawled out of debt, that equipment will be well obsolete.

There is nothing wrong with an 8mm camcorder, at all. There are several other things you can prioritise ahead of tangible gear, to ensure you start making decent flicks. Using simple equipment allows you to focus on the really important things, like script and structure. Also practise using various shots and angles, experimenting with other shooting tricks, etc.

Having a better camera *can* make a flick look better, 'tis true... but a top-notch camera will also consistently pump out crappy flicks if the user has ignored the myriad of other aspects to filmmaking that can make or break the film before the shoot even starts. :yes:

Don't forget that renting or borrowing equipment can sometimes work out better than owning, too.

_______

The only problem you may have with 8mm is needing to get an analogue capture card, if you don't already have one, to get the video into your computer. (Unless your 8mm happens to be a Digital-8mm, with a FireWire jack)

:)

SO would either of you say that one could possibly win a shorts festival, if everything else fell into place, with an 8mm video camera? I'm also dealing with lighting, and would love pointers.

If you keep it simple enough, you can do anything, and win!
We made our first flicks on 8mm. One got into HILTZ festival. Didn't win anything, but we didn't expect to win. The exposure and honor of being selected was enough.
Wasn't Evil Dead made on 8mm?

I don't believe it was shot on 8mm, but...

"Back in the 1950s you always saw at least one dad with an 8mm camera at every school event. Sam Raimi and his buddy Bruce Campbell (who went on to make The Evil Dead) used to soot their own amateur short films on super-8 (see below) as children. Raimi said that he thinks that it was better training than kids today who use video cameras because 8mm uses all the same principles as the larger film formats (i.e. interchangeable lens, F-stop, frame rate, exposure levels)."

I don't get it- is it "more like (byte)" or "more like (bite)" or "more like (so long number 8)"

Your newspeak and techno-jargon has confused my feeble brain.

Oh, and that's right- Super 8... forgot about that... yeah, well... 8mm isn't bad, but I'd use it mainly to test ideas, and get started... then you'll wanna upgrade to Mini DV at least... it's well worth it- trust me on that one! :)

Back