20P? :P

That's what the Rebel T1i does for it's HD video. I've never really heard of 20 frames per second, but to be honest, I've been watching T1i videos on youtube and it doesn't seem to effect at thing. When you can find the T1i for $300 on ebay, in comparison to the only other progressive camcorders on the market that all cost about $1000 each, (Vixia HF S20, Panasonic HDC-TM700K, Rebl T2i), it seems like a good buy.

So any opinions on 1080 20P? Can editing programs successfully handle such an awkward frame rate?
Also, do DSLR cameras truly do native progressive, or do they use some sort of interlaced pulldown scheme like 45 of the current camcorders out there?

Thanks!

To my knowlege DSLRs only do progressive, its the nature of the beast.

Some NLE (non linear editing) programs can take 20p and convert it to 24p or what not, with minor artifcating, if you need it.

Just remember that 24p or 20p on a computer (with LCD) isn't going to show a big difference in terms of video quality. What you would notice is that 20p tends to blur more or is more choppy depending on the frame capture speed.

Example (not mine) --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvxvQeQyo7A

Other systems like your TV or Film Screen may not like 20p, which is why T2i is better than T1i for video, but again if price is an issue 20p isn't that bad.

Personally I shave 2 cameras, one shoots at 24 fps and the other 30fps and I just intermix them all the time, no real bad effect noticed if you do it right, but make sure you correct your fps so that they don't have speed adjustments.

i have this camera, it's not ideal but it does the job if you're strapped for cash

the 5dMkII has the best DSLR video IMO 1920 x 1080 (16:9) up to 12 mins (Quicktime 1080p H.264; 38.6 Mbits/sec)

the 500d t1i has no control over the settings
the aperature is set on F5.6 most of the time [i've not seen it change] but i haven't used it much.
i always use the 720 option which records 30fps, it is noticably less jumpy when recording.
you wont notice the 20fps if you're filming something like flowers or a scene, but if there is a lot of movement especially when panning it can be quite bad.

Have a look at the Nikon D5000 video before you buy.

I like it though, it does the job for me. Ask if you want any more info on this camera. not sure i answered everything

One main thing I'm concerned about is the lack of settings....the T2i seems to have ISO, Shutter Speed, ect ect but is the T1i truly just a very automatic camera that has nothing manually adjustable beyond auto? I just couldn't imagine a camera like that. At the same time though, it would be easier, that is, if you trusted that the camera truly could decide what's best for your shot.

I mean, I truly want the T2i no doubt about it, but as a beginner who isn't really looking for a huge variety of shots, I just wonder if the T1i, which you can truly find on Ebay under trustworthy sellers for $300 (people really want to get rid of this camera because of the T2i), would it truly cover my needs? I'm shooting a full-length film soon, it is an indie film and I do want it to look and seem very professional (I also want 1080P just to be safe, so I truly do feel I want to stick with Canon), and I do have many scenes in night/low light. This is where I'm sure adjustable settings would help a bit with noise (if say the auto didn't know what to do) or if you need to pick up lit aspects a bit better, but can auto bring the best out of a shot? (Assuming it works by pointing the camera somewhere, auto adjusting, locking it, then press record.)

The budget for this film is around $1,500, including the camera, so you know...a 300$ camera would give me so much room for other things that could also help out the professionlism of this film, like a bit more freedom when it comes to choosing lenses, filters, tripods, lights, and a sound recorder. With today's technology, I firmly believe that beautiful films can be made for under $2,000, but throw a monkey wrench into the engine (which could be auto vs. manual settings in this case) and well, it may disrupt that =/.

Last edited:
Back