Directors: What are your goals?

As a director what are your main goals? What are your main objectives?

For me (granted, I have zero experience), the most important thing is creating a good working environment. That means everyone on set is comfortable and having a good time, stress is kept to a minimum (as much as it can be), and both cast and crew trust me and my judgement (while at the same time feeling like they can make suggestions to me and that I'll seriously consider what they say).

I figure that if the working environment is good, people are going to put more effort into their work, and the end result will be a lot better. Of course, this starts in pre-production, making sure that the people you hire are going to be easy to work with. Talent is important, but I don't care how talented someone is, if they're impossible to work with, they're not worth it.

But, as I have zero experience, I'd like to know what the main goals and objectives of others are.

Well, so far:

My goal is to make the damn movie, the way I envisioned it. But not at the crew's cost, so always maintain a good relationship with your actors and crew members.

You have to be confident, easy-going and good-humored, that way your crew and finished film will be as well. But if you're grumpy, frazzled and disorganized, then....

It kind of depends on what's being filmed. Now admittedly I have only used people who have little to no experience acting. If we were doing comedy then I keep the place loose and make sure people are laughing and smiling between takes. But if we were doing something more in the vein of horror then I kept people more uptight.

I'm sure real actors though wouldn't need an uptight director/set to get back into character for a horror film.

I want to be filthy-stinking-rich.

Oh, wait, you're talking about my goals on the set? Obviously, priority #1 is to make an awesome movie. But I also just want to have fun, and I don't see those as contradictory to each other. I make okay money, bartending. I'm not spending all this time in filmmaking so that I can make more money. I'm doing it because I want a career in which I truly enjoy my work, every single day. So, I don't ever want to forget that we should all be enjoying ourselves.

Conveniently, I also think having fun is the best way to make an awesome movie. It's an absolute joy for me to see my ideas come to shape, and they don't always take shape the way I originally imagined. Those surprises can be exhilarating, and they only happen when everyone feels free to let their creative juices flow. To me, the best way to make an awesome movie is to create an environment in which everyone stays on task, but feels uninhibited to revert back to childhood and just play pretend.

In addition to all that, I'd really like to be filthy-stinking-rich! :D

Last edited:
I want to be filthy-stinking-rich.

Oh, wait, you're talking about my goals on the set? Obviously, priority #1 is to make an awesome movie. But I also just want to have fun, and I don't see those as contradictory to each other. I make okay money, bartending. I'm not spending all this time in filmmaking so that I can make more money. I'm doing it because I want a career in which I truly enjoy my work, every single day. So, I don't ever want to forget that we should all be enjoying ourselves.

Conveniently, I also think having fun is the best way to make an awesome movie. It's an absolute joy for me to see my ideas come to shape, and they don't always take shape the way I originally imagined. Those surprises can be exhilarating, and they only happen when everyone feels free to let their creative juices flow. To me, the best way to make an awesome movie is to create an environment in which everyone stays on task, but feels uninhibited to revert back to childhood and just play pretend.

In addition to all that, I'd really like to be filthy-stinking-rich! :D

^This!

As an addition to my first post, I think that becoming known as great to work with is a fantastic thing for any indie filmmaker. Relationships are incredibly important. Sure, turning out a great end product is important, too. But if I turn out a good film (maybe not the greatest film ever made, but something people who were involved with it can feel proud of and something that achieves my vision for the project), and all the cast and crew go away from it thinking it was an awesome experience, they're going to be a lot more likely to work with me again in the future. And they're also more likely to recommend working with me to others. That makes getting my next project done that much easier. It makes people want to go above and beyond to make my project happen.

I promise I dug at least three twelve-foot deep pits to bury the bodies of some of the subs that kept effing up the house build.

Headzup: Law enforcement is VERY good about finding blood and traces of blood. Go a different route. ;)

I wish I could remember which director said that the best way to kill off people who screw things up is to write them up as bad guys in your next script. That way you can torture and kill them over and over again as you shoot their death scenes.

I can add working with friends is so much better than working with strangers. I've done both. However, the key here is making friends with extremely talented hardworking dedicated people. ;)
^This!

As an addition to my first post, I think that becoming known as great to work with is a fantastic thing for any indie filmmaker. Relationships are incredibly important. Sure, turning out a great end product is important, too. But if I turn out a good film (maybe not the greatest film ever made, but something people who were involved with it can feel proud of and something that achieves my vision for the project), and all the cast and crew go away from it thinking it was an awesome experience, they're going to be a lot more likely to work with me again in the future. And they're also more likely to recommend working with me to others. That makes getting my next project done that much easier. It makes people want to go above and beyond to make my project happen.

Off Topic - Apologies to Cameron

I wish I could remember which director said that the best way to kill off people who screw things up is to write them up as bad guys in your next script. That way you can torture and kill them over and over again as you shoot their death scenes.
I know in the FICTIONAL film A Knight's Tale the character of Geoffrey Chaucer promises to villify in history the two chaps at the tournement who took his clothes for his gambling debts.
Maybe our friend Nick the English Lit major can verify if the real Chaucer actually got around to following through with such.

Myself, I loathe the subs in question too much to acknowledge immortalize them, but certainly might reconsider should I come up short on a name when a situation arises in the future.

Actually, I have been inspired by their devious business practices.
There's some usable material there.
Bastards. :lol:

My goal is simple... to make a film like it's my last.

Regarding the bitch-hat thingy ma-bob, that's probably the worse thing to do on set. Don't ever wear it! lol. There's many other ways you can talk to your crew. It would just make things worst. I think if you do wear the bitch-hat (I guess it's a filmmaking term now? :lol:), your crew would just laugh at you and you're gonna lose their respect. Also, it would make things really awkward and you'll look like a big ol' monster and everyone would be really afraid of you. Plus, wouldn't it be nice after the film and your whole team ends up being your friend?

So throw away the "bitch-hat", and wear your "keep it cool-hat". :D

My goal is simple... to make a film like it's my last.

Regarding the bitch-hat thingy ma-bob, that's probably the worse thing to do on set. Don't ever wear it! lol. There's many other ways you can talk to your crew. It would just make things worst. I think if you do wear the bitch-hat (I guess it's a filmmaking term now? :lol:), your crew would just laugh at you and you're gonna lose their respect. Also, it would make things really awkward and you'll look like a big ol' monster and everyone would be really afraid of you. Plus, wouldn't it be nice after the film and your whole team ends up being your friend?

So throw away the "bitch-hat", and wear your "keep it cool-hat". :D

To clarify, "bitch hat" is not synonymous with "psycho hat". "Bitch hat", to me at least, is more like the "mom hat". You're the one that's putting an end to the fun and making everyone get down to work before someone puts an eye out. ;)

I think there is something missing from the "bitch hat" conversation:

There are filming situations where you are with a crew you have been sequestered with in some manner for 6 months while say filming giant time lapses of the desert or just touring. You co-exist with people for very long periods of time and the real way people tend to behave kicks in. I think that if I do become frustrated after filming for 12 hours, editing for 6, then composing for 4 hours while managing the budgets and every other thing that needs managed and doing all of that 7 days a week for months on end.

There have been a few times that absolutely nothing would have gotten done - thus changing the path of my career - if I had not gone off and made sure everyone knew what their responsibilities and expectations were. It's simple management. Occasionally everyone's boss is a prick, and we always forgive them and appreciate them because we depend on them for our livelyhoods. If we are decent people.

Hire decent people and be who you are.

I have to say that most sets (and, indeed, most of the better sets) I've been on have an element of 'bitch hat'. Obviously everyone is using the word tongue-in-cheek but there's really nothing wrong with being tough.

That's like saying that a teacher should always be kind and supportive even when their pupils are being little shits. Sometime the teacher has to be stern and a director should be prepared to be that person (or to tell their AD to be that person).

The best directors aren't the 'nicest' people, they're the most interesting and most passionate people.

A lot of the best directors that inspired your film career have been insufferable pricks and control freaks. It's been their obsession to finish the film with their vision intact. A lot of the most amazing directors have been infamous rather than famous. Not saying that any of this makes being an asshole to crew on a set ok though. I'm thinking of a book right now called What Would Machiavelli Do: The Ends Justify The Meanness.' it was a humorous semi-inspirational "succeed in business" book...

1. Choose your actors well. Try to compromise as little as possible when it comes to your actors. I read somewhere that casting is 80% of directing. I think it's true. Good actors who can follow direction will make your life easier.

2. You don't have to be a 'bitch,' but you do have to be the boss. Plan the day ahead of time. Then you'll know immediately when things go wrong and take corrective measures. When other people see this, they will be more eager to follow you and your direction and you won't have to be confrontational, as people will trust your judgment.

My goal is to find good hiding spots for the bodies of the crew members that keeps effing up my shots.... and also that we all feel safe..

I see.... so you have a soft spot for Christian Bale :D

I do, when it comes to that tirade of his. Once the director says "action" stop moving about and ruining the f'n shot.

Director(s) -- what are your goals?

my humble two cents...

GOALS. As the 'poor-director-guy-behind-the-camera-and-editing-system' (writer, director, producer, cameraman, editor, gaffer, grip, janitor and horrible-sometimes-actor), I always finish what I start while making the 'product' the best I can and the most enjoyable in production for all involved (as possible). Not as hard as it may seem -- LOL -- I am still on favorable talking terms with everyone I have worked with in the past. To my knowledge, no one has ever used 'Bitch' or 'Prick' in describing me. I feel bad that no one has made big-money, (I lost a little money, wife says it is more like a lot of money), but all had fun and learned a bunch, (or so they say to my face -- LOL). Also have reels and finished 'stuff' to prove our lives were not idle. Expensive hobby... though I keep trying to make a dime for those around me (and myself).

KEY TO DIRECTING. I try to take a realistic approach to 'directing'. I am NOT lucky. NOT a genius. NOT rich. NOT famous. NOT a know-it-all. KEY. I am not afraid to screw-up (would never hurt those around me in the process). I am not intimidated easily but at the same time not afraid to take blame for anything that goes wrong. Heck, I don't mind -- I'll take the blame for ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING if it keeps the production moving forward. Chalk it up to live and learn. Besides, those in front and behind the camera are there, BECAUSE OF ME. IF i cannot say something nice about someone -- I say nothing. I do not spread rumors or slam anyone. EVER.

FIRST LESSON A DIRECTOR MUST LEARN. NEVER make promises that you cannot keep. NEVER. EVER! TREAT all those around you as you would have them treat you. Screw the 'ego' thing -- if you are directing (those with the biggest ego's sometimes are the most shallow). BE HONEST BUT also be sincere and never demeaning. Like people.

FAVORITE WORDS (as a director). (at the end of a production) "Hey, thats a wrap. Now lets make another movie." (with script in hand) "How would you say that?"(in regards to written dialogue) "Does that feel comfortable?" and (to cast member as I am moving cameras into a different angle/location) "Awesome, fantastic delivery. One more time!"

AFTER. I like to show the cast the edits in progress. How can i make them 'as cast' LOOK BETTER?

I am not rich or famous, so excuse my humble two cents... however, if I ever do make it into the big money realm, I have a lot of people I am going to want to share that wealth with...

As far as on set, I never have had to yell. Maybe I am just lucky with my crew. It's pretty easy really:
I tell you what to do and you do it. It's not complicated.

As long as they all understand I value their talents and their opinions, but (1) we are here to work and (2) it's a Stalinist dictatorship not a democracy.

As to the rest, as I always say in response to that question, I want the opportunity to compromise every one of my artistic principles and everything else I believe in, for a whole bunch of money.

I wonder why anyone would feel they need to put on their
“bitch hat” - ever.

A director can get a film made on time and on budget without
ever resorting to being a “bitch”. Managing people to do their
best doesn’t require aggressive, angry or bitchy behavior. Even
as a last resort.

So true!
Somehow people think a director needs to be a dictator.

With good planning and someone who keeps an eye on time and people, you don't need to be cruel, angry or aggressive.

My objective: getting the best takes possible of the shots I need.

The only time I've ever had to yell on set (in an angry fashion) was at my make-up artist/costumer. She was on set to make sure we maintained continuity in clothing, and she kept trying to direct. The whole crew was becoming irritated with it, and even though I asked her kindly to stop, i eventually had to make her leave. Idk what happened there, it was very unprofessional on her part, be a director if you want to direct.

Aside from that, my crew always gets a long really well. I generally allow them to try things out as much as they want and only find myself cracking down when we're running out of time.

Back