WiFi Wilmington Film Convention

I would post this under festival talk, but it isn't a festival, so here goes ....

They suck! :(

Ok, that's sort of vague. On a personal note, I've not felt more trodden upon in recent memory.

Here is the sequence of events;

I bought tickets and received an invitation to the friday night gala with a red carpet reception (no mention anywhere of a dress code ... which would have tipped me off and helped me avoid some agony). They were very explicit that the red carpet entrance would begin at 8pm, sharp and insisted that everyone arrive early.

An actress I know was going to be arriving by limo and walking the red carpet. She asked me if I'd be there to take photos.

Wilmington is about a 1 hour drive for me, so I left home at 5pm made a stop at the hotel and arrived at the red carpet thing around 7pm. There was a huge parking lot, but I was told not to park in it, because they wanted to reserve the entire thing for the limos (???) I moved my car to some distant culdesac and walked back, but I had time, so no big deal.

Although I was on the guest list, and I was dressed better than my normal casual attire, I was told to stand outside and out of the main entry way with the rest of the "paparazzi", because this was a "black tie affair".

I just wanted to get the photos of my friend and get the hell out of there, but the red carpet entrance did not start until 8:40pm (so much for being punctual).

They had something like 12,000 Watts of lights setup (as near as I could estimate), and since I'm pretty sure they could not have been on a single breaker, they must have blown the main breaker on the panel (I remember hearing the air conditioner go silent). When the lights went out, I said to the coordinator standing near me, that she should unplug some of the lights before resetting the breaker. She responded, "we have professionals to handle it". Well, you don't need my extensive background in electrical engineering to know that when a breaker gets hot enough to pop, it will not carry it's full load again, until it has cooled down. The "professionals" reset the breaker and the lights stayed on for about 30 seconds. They reset the breaker again, and the lights stayed on for 15 seconds. At that point, they decided to forego the red carpet entry.

Ok, I only drove over 60 miles one way for one thing, and that was a photo of Gina on the red carpet. I had a nice flash and I could take a photo without the fresnels, so I asked if we could just pose Gina on the carpet for one quick photo and I would go.

The answer was "no". I said, you know you could get this show back on track if you unplug a couple of lights and she said, "I'm making an executive decision". (which means, "no", BTW).

So, I drove back home, having accomplished nothing and feeling rather angry.

Is this networking? Do I really need to mingle with these pompous a**holes? Clive, this is all your fault. ;)

Doug

Interesting. I don't even know where to begin other than you should probably contact management (not necessarily the "director" on the red carpet), and let them know how completely unimpressed and dissatisfied you were and you want a refund. If that doesn't work, start working your way up the ladder. Eventually SOMEBODY will care, trust me.

Thanks, WideShot. The cost of the event wasn't much to cry about. It was the lost time that really hurt, since I've been very, very busy the past couple of weeks. I'm not getting much time for sleep (which probably doesn't help my mood!), so what I'd really like is to have my 5 hours back!

I've written a letter of complaint to the contact I had for purchasing tickets. We'll see where that goes.

Doug

Doug, you are far too polite. I would have pulled Gina and taken the picture anyway. What is she going to do, kick you out? Are you familiar with the Peter Principal? Check it out on wikipedia. This lady sounds like prime example of Peter's principal. I would definitely share your experience with the producers of that event.

Tony

WiFi Red Carpet

Hey Doug -

I'm sorry you were so frustrated and didn't get the opportunites to do wanted you wanted Friday night. There were two factors that led us to make that decision. One of which you know. The light issue...the second was thursday night, Pat Hingle, our guest of honor fell and bruised two ribs and was not feeling well. We couldn't keep him and his wife waiting before we did the SAG presentation to him. He needed to get home early. So, we had to do what we could for his sake. I know we left out a few people and believe me we feel AWEFUL about it. There were the ones that needed to walk, ie people who donated, producer family members what worked so hard and helped out especially during crunch time, but they didn't get the chance to as well.

This was our first conference and we are learning what works and what doesn't, so we appreciate you taking the time out to vent...it just helps us make a stronger conference for next year. Hopefully, the do-s will out weigh the don't-s next year and you will be happy as a clam at the 2009.

Sincerely,

Sheila Brothers

Last edited:
Thank you, for that polite response, Sheila. I do understand the circumstances were less than ideal. As someone who knows more about electrical engineering than most, I can say without reservation that what happened Friday night was avoidable. I would strongly suggest that next year you not only work with "professionals", as you so politely pointed out that night, but work with professionals who actually understand breaker ratings and how to budget power to avoid this sort of incident.

Also, since I'm the guy the "professionals" hire to assist them in configuring electrical switchgear, you might also do well not to be so quick to dismiss my suggestions. Just because I'm not dressed for your party and I'm holding a camera, does not mean I'm uneducated.

The conference format on Saturday seemed to work well. The speakers you selected were all great (I didn't get to listen to them all, but I heard good things from other attendees). I had a really tight time budget all weekend, but I came away feeling better about the event on Saturday.

Doug

Tony,

I believe you are correct. I should have gotten my photo, but I think we were in shock. My subject didn't want to make a scene, and my indignation had been building for some time. I hate to say it, but my decision to turn heel and leave immediately was emotionally motivated. I'd like to think I'm always a rational person, but it probably isn't true.

Doug

Back