GL2 or VX2100?

Okay, I may have a way of getting one of these cameras. The question is, which is the better buy for filmmaking?

The VX2100 has larger CCDs while the GL2 has better zoom (however, zoom isn't a priority for me). The GL2 has a 30i as does the VX2100.

Also, which has the better mic? I won't be able to buy a boom mic for quite awhile and I'm doing preproduction for a short to start right at the beginning of next semester...and I'm buying the camera for Xmas.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the mic but the GL2 has a "frame movie mode" which the VX2100 does not have. It basically performs an in camera deinterlace giving you 30 full frames per second. You loose resolution but you get a progressive scan look.

Either one would be a great camerea for indie work. I prefer the Sony - I've heard some bad things about warranty and service with Canon, and Sony is known to be pretty reliable in terms of keeping their equipment running...

The VX2100 is more expensive, though... for me, anyway, it's a $1000+ difference. You might be best off buying the GL2 and an XLR adapter/boom mic.

When it comes to an eBay pro kit, they break off about the same, price-wise. And also on eBay, they sell an Audio Technica stereo input boom mic with boom pole, shock mount, extension cords, etc.

I'm not sure, but I think I like the Sony model better.

Last edited:
Hmm, well I have a sony vx2100, and it ROCKS!! I do a lot of video for the fresno state marching band, and using the canon cameras the color seemed a bit dry and the picture was a little grainy, and on my sony the color is amazing and the shots are not nearly as grainy. . . well that's my experience, plus I've had bad luck with the mechanics of the canon cameras, and so far my sony is rock solid (and it can do timelapses!!!)

Hmm, mics? Well I bought one shotgun, the Azden SGM-1x, and it works well. . . . I got it for $150 I think. . . it's been a while, but it still works!!! I haven't tried too many, but for the price this one is good.

Also with the vx2100, you can sorta cheat a 30 frame mode. . . if you manually set the shutter speed to 30. . . I haven't played with the canon too much in frame mode, but sometimes I wonder if "frame mode" is just a locked shutter speed of 30. . . don't quote me on that though, I have no idea, just thought about the idea. . . someone probably knows for sure though

The canon actually does a real deinterlace in camera. This is, of course, not useful if you intend to use Magic Bullet or your NLE to convert it to 24p though. I've always been a fan of 30p though. I try to stay away from 24p - even with the DVX!

Back