• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

writing heavy dialogue stuff

I'm planning on possibly writing a feature built from four fifteen minute vignettes that all take place at the same time in a restraunt.

See, I want to try to write something that I might be able to shoot really low budget at some point in the future.

But, I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help keep what is basically an hour of dialogue interesting. I'm going to be taking a sort of litfic approach, but I still don't want to super bore people.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure that I have the writing chops to pull something like this off, but I want to take a shot.

Any help is appreciated.

I'll just state the obvious; the tips on basically making an hour of
dialogue interesting is tell a great story. In other words there is
no trick - if what your characters are talking about is interesting
your dialogue will be interesting.

How will you develop your chops if you don't try it? This won't be
easy but it seems as if you want to challenge yourself. Write it!

Even though people are "just talking," plenty can still happen: love is declared, hearts are broken, affairs are revealed...
I'd suggest making sure that we learn something new/important about all of the groups during the course of the short. If you can tie them together somehow, even better - perhaps multiple sides of the same issue, with one relationship beginning, one moving to a new stage (moving in together, marriage, child whatever), one ending, and one in some sort of crisis.

Also try to avoid having everyone sound the same.

Good luck!

Take a look at 12 Angry Men. It's essentially a movie in the same room, filled with mostly dialogue. It's an old movie, in black and white. Pay attention to the conflict, pace and lens choices.

I'd also recommend Coffee and Cigarettes and Night on Earth, both by Jim Jarmusch. Both great examples of limited setting dialogue/character driven movies.

I've seen 12 angry men maybe five times, one of my favourites.
I've seen little pieces of coffee and cigarettes, and have been meaning to give it a full watch.
I haven't seen Night on Earth or My Diner With Andre, which I will check out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back