Need Help with Cameras

Okay, so I want to buy a camera but I don't know which one to buy because I don't know anything about cameras. All I know is that Arri's are supposed to be good but if anyone has other suggestions about other good cameras I'd like to know anything and everything. Also if anyone can recommend a book or web that tells you all about all this camera talk. I don't really understand anything about shotgun mics, 24p, tapes or nothing.

Thanks

Although I'm not a fan of HDSLRS, they are cheap and produce great footage, especially for beginners. The Canon 7D, 5DII, 60D are good choices. The ARRI cameras tend to be more complex, expensive, and are film cameras and the HD video ones such as the Alexa are very very expensive. As for books about this subject, there is a newer thread on here about all sorts of filmmaking books. I'd check there but I don't have the link right off the top of my head!

What's your budget? There's such a huge difference in camera prices, with DSLRs starting at a few hundred dollars and going up to $100k or more for the top of the line cameras, that it's a little hard to even start discussing it without some idea of what you're looking to spend.

If you don't know anything about cameras or you're just getting started with filmmaking, I'd recommend getting the cheapest one that will do what you need it to do. You never know if you'll really enjoy doing it until you've actually tried it, and if you go drop $25,000 on a camera and decide you hate it... :huh:

Also, don't forget that the camera is only one small part of the filmmaking equation. There's also audio and lighting to consider on the technical end of things, as well as post-production expenses. So even if you have a large budget for equipment, you don't want to go spending it all on a camera.

I agree the camera is only one small part-my experience: I've seen fantastic stuff done on an Iphone, and I've seen poor stuff done with a thousand dollar camera (I myself use a Canon 900 Zr Camcorder right now).

I've seen a couple of projects done on old VHS Camcorders with great lighting, sound, and editing that were nice pieces of work.

The new cameras are really nice-and if you want to the DSLR route, that's great if you've got the budget-just don't limit yourself to other possiblities :)

Before our audio guys shoot us, in regards to DSLR's being an affordable option - they require an investment in sound equipment of $600-$1K (US) minimum and an operator.

This is true across the board, but when you get to prosumer+ cameras, they record adequate sound for many uses, but you still need a boom operator to accomplish that.

I just want to know which ones are in your opinion best for a beginner. One that is affordable and good. I'm looking for one anywhere from 1k-5k. I'm not actually going to film anything anytime soon so I just want to know which one(s) I should consider buying when I've raised money.

Well, the camera that might be a good choice for a beginner right now will be outdated by the time you decide to film something.

I'd suggest to stick with this forum for a while, and keeping up with the trends.

Any ideas as to what kind of work you had in mind?
- Simple "You and some friends" goofin' off about town?
- "I got a buddy who will hold a boom pole"?
- About to hit up the local acting school for some fresh talent then gonna make a full blown horror feature for next year's film festival circuit?
- "I heard Danny Boyle made 127 hours on a DSLR" and thought I'd give it a stab?
- Gonna do a RomCom and need one of these?

I'd go with a Canon Rebel or GH1 unless you're Johnny Deeppockets. Keep initial investment low and play. Nice thing about a GH1 is you can hack it and it effectively supercharges the camera. But hack it later, not when you're learning.

Well, the camera that might be a good choice for a beginner right now will be outdated by the time you decide to film something.

I'd suggest to stick with this forum for a while, and keeping up with the trends.

My thoughts, exactly. If you were purchasing RIGHT NOW, I'd recommend DSLR. Otherwise, I see no point in spending too much time considering the big camera purchase immediately.

In fact, I believe (as do a couple other people on this forum) that DSLR will end up being a very short-lived filmmaking technology. RIGHT NOW, a lot of people believe DSLR is the best way to go, but it's also true that it is a camera made for still photography, and as such, it does have a handfull of weaknesses. In light of this fact, the camera manufacturers are reacting. It is only a matter of time before we get all the things we like about DSLR, but packaged in a camera that is made with filmmakers in mind. It's already sort of happening.

My honest opinion? You shouldn't spend more than a few hundred dollars on your very first camera setup (including a cheap shotgun mic). With this cheap camera, you start fooling around, learning the basics, and by the time you've got enough money to make that more serious purchase, you've developed into a more serious filmmaker. If you're really cash-strapped, I think it's perfectly okay to start making short movies with a used mini-DV camera.

IF you choose to go the cheap camcorder route, it is absolutely essential that you purchase one with the following features:

- manual focus
- manual exposure
- manual white-balance
- external audio input

If you have to ask...You do not know what you are doing. Not trying to be an arse, but when you know what you are doing, you will know what you need. Take your time and learn simple tools then progress. GOOD LUCK & be creative !

Back