• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is the murder mystery dead?

I'm writing a murder mystery screenplay. I want to have a more original take on the subject. I've noticed that nowadays the murder mystery is done in several different ways that aren't focused mainly on the murders themselves. Anyways, I was wondering if a mountain town murder mystery is too cliche? Or if it needs to come back to the screen?

Murder mystery is a topic that never gets old.It is always cliched but thats the best part.

Trying to keep a cliched thing original.Maybe if you think this way you can come up with great ideas.

I dont know much but i would recommend you check out a movie called Insomnia.

The last time I saw a murder mystery, or crime mystery that I can think of was Gone Baby Gone (2007). Not really a murder mystery, but a kidnapping mystery. So it's not totally dead of course. I say do it, if you don't make it seem too cliched.

This is cliche, but I think it doesn't even matter. Cliche - doesn't mean "don't use it". I think you can have the murder mystery happen in a different setting. Many murder mysteries take place in England of 100 years ago? Or in modern criminal cities? Or in high societies? Ok! Try to make it happen in the future, or in the past. What if you change your characters from rich families, politicians or drug dealers to a complete different society class. Example - factory workers or soldiers or jailors. Or maybe... heh... production companies! Ha-ha! :) I don't know what absurd is gonna get out of that, but I think it's worth trying :)

Last edited:
Back