tv Is the "MTV generation of moviesgoers not near as large as we fear?"

I have turned off a few DPs and fellowfilmmakers in my style of shooting. I like things like deep DOF, and long mastershots, and not as much camera movement, allowing the actors to take control of the emotion, generated. This style is much like a movie style before the 60s, where it was becoming more and more phased out. But I was told by my fellow fillmmakers that the style sucks by todays standards and audience are going to see it that way.

You cannot have deep DOF cause people are distracted by unwanted background colors. You cannot have long mastershots, cause people will get bored and you need to be cutting back and forth to keep their minds going. You need camera movement, or distributors will look at it and think that the DP was sitting on his ass the whole time. This is what they told me. A lot of aspiring filmmakers do not like this style, which is why I am practicing shooting with shallower DOF, more cuts to different shots, and faster editing techniques.

However, I showed a group of friend's one of my most favorite movies, High and Low (1963). This movie relies a lot on mastershots, deep focus, and a overall pretty static camera, for a lot of it. However, my friends, all in their 20s, so part of the MTV generation, were never really bored by it at all. They were in for the whole ride, and when I asked, they said they never had a problem loosing concentration or being distracted by those techniques.

I also got see some movies which are going to be screened at the local film festivals where I live. I noticed that a good portion of the movies were shot with very deep focus, and whole backgrounds seem to be in focus, along with the foreground actors. Plus there were other things that you think would distracted but do not. Such as one movie where the DP seemed to leave the ISO on auto the whole time, and you can see the ISO exposure change as the camera tracks moving actors. One movie also showed shutter speed change as the actors went from outdoors to in.

Not that I am condoning that filmmakers do that, it's good to choose an ISO and shutter speed for a whole scene. However, these movie made into the festival, so I have to wonder, how important is shallow DOF or lots of camera movement, when things like auto ISO and changing shutter speed, are okay and made it into festivals, without distracting the judges, who probably pay closer to attention than the audiences who will watch them. I have also seen some deep DOF movies that made it to Netflix as well.

So after a lot of average people not being distracted by such things, I am starting to wonder if whether or not the 'MTV generation', is a myth. A myth caused by fear in filmmakers and distributors, trying to spend money in pleasing their audiences, and lack faith in the audience out of too much worry? Perhaps audiences do not demand lots of cuts, camera movement, or shallow DOF to hide things in the background, which could be supposedly "distracting"

Perhaps people care most about story and are okay with other styles of filmmaking as long as you tell a good story well. Or is the MTV generation perhaps a small minority, that filmmakers are trying to please, as well as a general audience, because it's better to please as many minorities as well?

I had a long post prepared but I'll just say I pretty much agree with most of what you say.

But I'm wondering, when people say that audiences 'care most about story' I don't really understand, because I don't see the big box-office hits having great stories. Maybe they just care about the fact that the story is told at least competently (in their eyes), but certainly most box-office hits don't have great stories or stories that are told particularly well.

Lots of people go to cinemas for spectacle.

But a great story makes you forget a movie is filmed in a slow pace.

Okay thanks. One of my favorite movies though is, Gone with the Wind for example. However, this is one movie a lot of modern moviegoers think is overrated. I have read people's reviews of it on the net, and a good amount of them say that. I also tried showing this to my friends, and they could not get through and they thought it was 'slow paced', or even 'draggy', as they put it.

This movie in my opinion, had a great story, and great characters, so why does a movie like that, not get a pass for doing so, by a more modern generation?

Last edited:
I think the case with Gone With The Wind is that it has "dated" worse than other films of the era I think. (not to mention, most audiences don't want to watch a five hour movie from 1939). I still love it in spite of this due to its amazing story, great characters, and just the idea of watching 1939's cutting-edge blockbuster. A great score and some good color cinematography is the icing on the cake. I honestly never felt like the film was too long, I don't think it was perfect but it was incredibly entertaining.

But I just find that Gone With The Wind is the antithesis to my idealized vision of film, a kind of individual artistry. You can find this in Old Hollywood films by Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, Howard Hawks, John Ford, Billy Wilder, and Frank Capra. But directors like Victor Fleming are really just gifted craftsmen under the guise of the producer. For me, films like Gone With The Wind and Casablanca are miracles because they were made in a system that completely went against cinematic artistry, yet they are such great films.

Yeah, I think it depends on who the film is primarily made for. Obviously with major blockbusters, audiences are much less forgiving on the technical aspects of the film. That's why I don't believe that story is king, or anything. Filmmakers have to present the story in a way that is not distracting as well, this can mean different things for different audiences, but you can have the best story in the world but bad film technique can make the story lose its power.

I'm surprised that others think so too, cause I thought Gone with the Wind, aged better than both Casablanca and Citizen Kane, and had a deeper, more thought provoking and more epic story. But the other two are deep and great movies too though.

Eh, a four-ish hour film is always going to be hard to watch for most audiences. Perhaps audiences have become more impatient, but regardless, a four hour film is a long watch. No matter how much you MTV'd up Gone with the Wind I'd find it a slow movie. That doesn't mean it's not good, but if I can chose between a 90 minute "good" film, or a four hour "masterpiece," I'll probably pick the shorter film 9/10. Over such a period of time, I'll get uncomfortable, hungry, need to pee, get sore eyes, etc. That doesn't make it a bad film, it's just got its run time against it.

People love Peter Jackson films, but I've not met many people who wished they were longer.

When I first watched The Matrix I remember feeling sad that at some point it was going to end.

Anyway.. you can do long camera shots, but ONLY if you are making use of mise en scene. otherwise it will be very boring for modern audiences

I can handle long movies if I think the movie is very good. GWTW flew right by me, since I was enjoying it so much. I like it a lot more than The Matrix. It was simply, a more powerful film. Other long movies I like that go over 190 minutes are the director's cut of JFK, Malcolm X, Schindler's List, and Lawrence of Arabia. I haven't seen many bad long movies, cause most bad movies are shorter. The 1994 version of Wyatt Earp though, was very boring and draggy though, and I could not wait for it it end.

I agree, making good use of mise en scene, helps long takes. I am actually very inspired by those older movies with longer scenes, especially High and Low. Should I use for my own style, as long as I make good use of mise en scene? Or would it be best to just have lots of cuts to please a modern audience? I've noticed other filmmakers using lots of cuts, but they aren't able to get as many shots, in such a quick shooting time. So would cutting back and forth between the same two close ups for example, because boring after a while, since there were only two close ups, and nothing more?

When I first watched The Matrix I remember feeling sad that at some point it was going to end.

Anyway.. you can do long camera shots, but ONLY if you are making use of mise en scene. otherwise it will be very boring for modern audiences

You *really* like bringing us The Matrix, don't you?

I'm surprised that others think so too, cause I thought Gone with the Wind, aged better than both Casablanca and Citizen Kane, and had a deeper, more thought provoking and more epic story. But the other two are deep and great movies too though.

Eh, I strongly disagree. For me, Gone With The Wind is the equivalent of modern blockbusters, just a lot of fun to watch but not very deep. It has a good story and characters, but I think that Citizen Kane is especially a much deeper film. Of course Gone With The Wind is more epic, it's an epic film with epic length, that doesn't necessarily make it better or deeper or more thought-provoking.

Eh, I strongly disagree. For me, Gone With The Wind is the equivalent of modern blockbusters, just a lot of fun to watch but not very deep. It has a good story and characters, but I think that Citizen Kane is especially a much deeper film. Of course Gone With The Wind is more epic, it's an epic film with epic length, that doesn't necessarily make it better or deeper or more thought-provoking.

With Gone with the Wind, I cared about the characters more. Citizen Kane, had a very complex character, but I felt the movie may have been too short to explore him fully. It could have used a longer run time and did feel a bit rushed. Still a very good movie though, and a classic.

With Gone with the Wind, I cared about the characters more. Citizen Kane, had a very complex character, but I felt the movie may have been too short to explore him fully. It could have used a longer run time and did feel a bit rushed. Still a very good movie though, and a classic.

Ah well, we'll just agree to disagree. I think Citizen Kane is one of those few absolutely perfect films!

I still think it's really good, especially for it's time. I have only seen it once though and cannot properly judge it until I see it again, cause there is a lot to take in. I loved the ending and it was hearbreaking. So I won't judge it officially, till I see it a second time.

When it comes to epic drama films, I think one of them I would have to say is perfect is Schindler's List, when it comes to my taste.

Yeah I agree, Schindler's List was pretty perfect as an epic drama IMO.

Ah well, Citizen Kane was one of those movies I was hoping to say "oh this is not as good as people say" when I first saw it as a young teenager, but I couldn't really fault it for its storytelling or artistry, it really is one of the greatest masterpieces of cinema. Now, my only problem is that most people tend to just look at Citizen Kane and ignore the other masterpieces made by Orson Welles and other great directors from his period. I also don't think it stands higher than cinema's other great achievements, I think it is one great masterpiece not THE great masterpiece (I wouldn't even call it THE great masterpiece of American cinema let alone all cinema from all around the world).

Back