• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

HELP!!!

So in my screenplay, a character is wearing an article of clothing that once the plot twist is revealed, the viewers paying attention will say "Ohhh, that makes sense."

However, I don't think I want to make a deal about it and write a flashback scene specifically for an article of clothing. So my problem is where should I put it into the script. It's a hoodie, so I thought it would be a good idea to mention it in passing like "Steve puts his hoodie up". But then I thought maybe I should put it in when the scene begins so it's not out of nowhere, but then I thought I'd have to do that every time a scene begins or something. So I came here to ask.

Thanks in advance!

I read that script writing is the art of exclusion. While a movie needs to be a certain length, anything that doesn't drive the audience forward shouldn't be there.

It's tough for us to tell with what information you've given us.

So in my screenplay, a character is wearing an article of clothing that once the plot twist is revealed, the viewers paying attention will say "Ohhh, that makes sense."

However, I don't think I want to make a deal about it and write a flashback scene specifically for an article of clothing. So my problem is where should I put it into the script. It's a hoodie, so I thought it would be a good idea to mention it in passing like "Steve puts his hoodie up". But then I thought maybe I should put it in when the scene begins so it's not out of nowhere, but then I thought I'd have to do that every time a scene begins or something. So I came here to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Your question kind of falls in that gray area of scriptwriting where the script is structural (providing details for the production) and narrative (telling the story). Some items are never seen or drive the plot but never fully explained ("McGuffins"). Other items, as in mysteries, are like breadcrumbs that make sense on the reveal. They are seldom highlighted except in the final piecing together.

Let's create a theoretical scenario. Steve is a secret vigilante. He wears his hoodie when he patrols at night. He comes across a crime, intervenes and ends up falling for the girl he rescues. Unfortunately, the usual complications arise. His girlfriend is at his home and finds his hoodie and now it all snaps into focus for her. Then the spiral of events that follow.

There is a basic "rule of three". If you say/show/do something three times, it stands out in a person's mind. So if you want something to just be registering, you do it twice then let the final reveal be the third time. So you can apply that to the above scenario.

First instance, we see Steve walk into his room. The hoodie is hanging in the closet when he hangs up his jacket with care in front of it. This "care" will attract the audience attention but not unduly if he's involved with other things around the house. Then he gets a phone call, say.

Second instance, we see an avenger in the hoodie racking up the body count to free the girl from peril. Here the focus is on the action and the girl, not the hoodie per se. The audience is registering it but not putting them together.

Third instance, the girl stumbles across it in his closet. Boom, now it starts to click in. "Closet-hoodie, Rescue-Hoodie, Hoodie-closet ... Ah-h-h!"

Scripting this might go something like:
Code:
INT. STEVE'S LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Steve flips on the light.  He shuffles through his mail, dropping it 
on the table as he moves to the coat closet.

He opens the coat closet.  A blue hooded jacket hangs just to the 
left.  He slips off his coat, slides it on the hanger, shakes his head,
then hangs it up and closes the door.

The phone rings.

EXT.  GOTHAM ALLEY - NIGHT

Three thugs surround MELISSA (20s), a cowering blonde fresh off 
work as a waitress.

A figure in a blue hoodie moves from the darkness.

The LEADER of the thugs turns.

THUG LEADER
                You wanna piece o' her too?  Sorry, punk,
                we don't share.

The BLUE AVENGER nears them.

BLUE AVENGER
                 Can't take, what's not yours.  Or didn't yo'
                 momma teach you better?

The thug leader turns but the blue avenger's foot flies out 

and the leader collapses to his knees.

THUG LEADER
                            (groaning)
                  Kill 'im

INT. STEVE'S LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

MELISSA
                           (to Steve in the kitchen)
                  I just need to grab my keys.

She opens the coat closet and goes to her coat.

A beat.

She stops and slides back the coats to find a blue hoodie.  She
pulls it out and sees the blood stain.

Rustling in the kitchen.

She quickly slides it back in, pushes the coats back, and grabs
her keys from her coat pocket before closing the door.

Steve walks out smiling.

She composes herself but confusion dances over her face as he
nears.

STEVE
                    Everything okay?
The script should be clear enough that it reflects what the viewer will see. The production crew will pick up on it since they will be going through this script MULTIPLE times. But that should be enough to make it obvious without drilling home the point.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Back