movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Isle of Dogs (2018) 8/10

I really enjoyed it. The story is simple but the animated scenes are complex. To me I think Wes Anderson and his writing friends work best in the stop-motion animated film world. It can be a bit crazy because it's animated and the dialog is even more funny because it's a puppet (or dog). I do think this movie goes a bit too much with the details and can distract from what needs to be seen and understood in a scene. Also liked that they kept the Japanese language in it.

X-Men: The Last Stand. Since I work in VFX, I enjoy buying VFX films on Blu Ray to study. For my birthday I bought the entire collection and am watching them in release order. I remember that when I first saw X-Men 3, it was easily my favorite, I enjoyed watching mutant fight against mutant in the battle at the end. Today though, the whole scale seems small and a bit silly. Kinda like the final showdown in Twilight.

Lean on Pete 9/10

I really enjoyed watching this movie. It had a good balance between how the scenes were set and how the overall story was just wild. The main character is a teenager and he plays it realistic. He reminds me of some kids I grew up with. It is a sad story but the ending is what ties it up in a nice way. It's one of the few movies where I could hear someone mumbling and still understand them. Props to the sound department or movie theater I was in.

***SPOILERS***
Ok, so if I had my director hat on here are a few things I would have liked to see in the camera department. The camera in the movie is usually a good distance away from Charlie. There are a few close up shots when he is talking with other people and for the most part it was balanced out pretty well. During the later half of the movie Charlie is walking around like a homeless kid. I think it would of been great to have the camera very far away from him showing a wide shot most of the time. It could give the feeling that he is becoming "someone else" and at a distance we don't really recognize him as much. The movie Time Out of Mind (2014) did that very well. When he meets his Aunt the camera could slowly move toward him reminding the audience of who Charlie was from the start of the movie. There is also a moment when his horse is hit. It would of been great to have the camera stay static and not show the horse but we could hear what is going on. Something that M. Night and Hitchcock did well in their movies. I did really like the camera work but I think they could of changed it up a bit more depending on what was happening. There is a lot of things that happen to Charlie in this movie and some of the events could of been textured more with the camera.

Just finished my X-Men marathon with Logan. By far the strongest in the series. Heading on to Mission: Impossible now as I work on a new script.

I recently saw the new Will Ferrell movie ‘Talladega Nights: The ballad of Ricky Bobby’. Hands down the worst piece of garbage Ive ever seen. If you find yourself scrolling through Netflix looking for something to watch avoid this at your peril. 3/10

The Curse of the Cat People (1944) 8/10

Very fun to watch this story play out. It's a solid sequel to Cat People. I like pretty much everything about it but I can't rate it higher than Cat People. These are the kind of movies that are my favorite.

a futile and stupid gesture 4/5

sweet I've been wanting to see a film with will forte playing a non-idiot character

So this dude douglas Kenny was the motivational force behind the creation of national lampoon
he had quite an eye for talent and basically assembled the entire original cast of SNL before they were famous to write for his magazine.

he went on to have huge success with his first film Animal House.
I've heard of this movie but had never seen it. But it's a comedy film ,he throws in some tits to help it sell and bam he has the #1 comedy movie of all time. I can dig it, sounds like a tactic i might use lol.

does a bunch of cocaine with chevy chase, bangs out another huge success Caddy Shack.

spoilers ahead if you aren't familiar with douglas kenny

when i see people do a bunch of cocaine and then bang out a best selling script it makes me jealous. I have such little energy I can't even think about writing a feature film. but then a few years later douglas kenny is in rehab for drug addiction and kills himself.

certainly did not work out for him.

Call Me by Your Name. 9.5/10
Nice.

Wonder Woman. 6.5/10
It's not too bad. Chris Pine steals the show.

Thor: Ragnorak. 6.5/10
Meh. Did not live up to the hype for me. Not thrilled I spent a lot of money on the home video. Wish I had seen it first, then I would have known I didn't need it. The best part was the bit with
Dr. Strange
. I have Disney/Marvel fatigue.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi. 7/10
Mehhh. About as good as the Prequels, so a disappointment. Again, I have Disney fatigue. Makes me more hungry for good independents. One complaint I have is that they make Kylo Ren almost as whiny and goofy as Anakin in the Prequels. Ug. I guess they're going for a complex and psychological portrayal? What they get instead is a bad guy (and a story) emasculated of gravitas and true menace. But given the climate nowadays, maybe that's exactly what they're going for. Further, it looks like Kylo Ren will indeed be the big bad guy of the third act. The glaring problem with that is Rey already kicked his ass in act one. Talk about anti-climatic. What are they thinking? Rogue One was a more worthy installment.

Kodachrome. 9/10
Very good.

Last edited:
Tomb Raider. Finally got to see it and I loved it! Almost the same storyline as a script I've been working on, but it was an enjoyable film that I'll be buying on BluRay.

Ghost in the Shell - The animated version from the 90's.

Was decent. I get what it was for it's time in terms of style and story, etc.

As much as I respect and enjoy watching the occasional Japanese anime, there's a staple of it that always kinda irks me (both original Japanese audio or dubbed) it's how the vast majority of all of them are so very divided between action and dialogue. I get that it's to save having to draw lots of movement, action, etc. but there's so much standing/sitting around and talking. Also both in japanese and dubbed the dialogue is very wooden. Lots of monotone talk, talk, talk, joke, laugh, talk, talk.

Also how all officials talk in a Harumph! Harumph! voice.

This is the opening of it and although visually stunning and filled with lots of action, the dialogue is very wooden/unnatural (this is in English but the Japanese is the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqWwHI604n4

Back