• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

NoCopyrightSound

Hey,

there's plenty of topics here about using music and royalty free songs... but what I am specifically interested in (since it perfectly fits our youtube content) is the channel NCS

Their T&C conditions are pretty straight forward - free unlimited use as long as I credit the author in the description of the video.

My question:

What if I don't ?

I know it sounds a bit dumb, but it's a legit question, I am curious.

From what I assume, it's fine as long as the author himself doesn't see the video - in which case he'd be able to claim the copyright to his music and our video would most likely be taken down - correct ?

From what I assume, it's fine as long as the author himself doesn't see the video - in which case he'd be able to claim the copyright to his music and our video would most likely be taken down - correct ?

What happens if I steal my neighbor’s lawnmower? From what I assume, it’s fine as long as my neighbor himself doesn’t see me mowing with it - in which case he’d be able to claim theft.

You’re a content creator, and you’re wondering about the ramifications of ripping off another content creator? There’s no moral high ground that justifies this. Getting caught is not what makes it wrong.

Last edited:
Hey,

there's plenty of topics here about using music and royalty free songs... but what I am specifically interested in (since it perfectly fits our youtube content) is the channel NCS

Their T&C conditions are pretty straight forward - free unlimited use as long as I credit the author in the description of the video.

My question:

What if I don't ?

I know it sounds a bit dumb, but it's a legit question, I am curious.

What if you don't?

Then you get away with taking the work of another creative person
without giving them credit.

You're assumption is wrong, it's not fine as long as the author himself
doesn't see the video.

I'm curious, but it's a legit question; why would you not want to give
credit?

The description of the video is simply the text in the YouTube box. Umm, how hard is it to mention this person that gives you free music? I mean really sheesh. Some people.

good points.. yea, it's kind of stupid.

It's not an indie film per se but a big youtube channel that puts out videos on regular basis. We never mention anything outside of the business in the description of the video, so I wouldn't even be able to influence if the author gets credited or not (I am responsible for content creation, not the uploading / marketing itself).

Of course, from the moral standpoint, the author has every right to be credited.

I wouldn't even mind paying for the music from NCS, if there was an option.

We never mention anything outside of the business in the description of the video, so I wouldn't even be able to influence if the author gets credited or not (I am responsible for content creation, not the uploading / marketing itself).

If, for that reason, you cannot guarantee that the artist gets the credit required as a condition of use, then honestly you should find another source for your music. You say you’d be willing to pay NCS if there was an option... have you tried contacting the owner/s through messaging on YouTube?

There’s also Justin Ewart at Incompetech.com, who also offers free use as long as credit is given. With his stuff, you credit in the content of the video. Then you won’t have to worry about what shows up in the video description.

If you’re willing to purchase music there are also other options. Have you searched pond5.com?

Of course, from the moral standpoint, the author has every right to be credited.

And from the legal standpoint.

There's various ways to go about this.

1. Put it in the description. If you don't like the idea of putting minor credits there how about calling them a sponsor. This of course you'd need to ask, but it always looks good to have sponsors right? Example:

Hey guys enjoy episode 23!

Sponsored by: 555 Music

2. Ask if you can put them in end credits of video. If this is a big channel surely you do credits.

3. Ask to pay instead.

4. Ask if you can put a link somewhere instead. Do you guys have a webpage? With links?

5. Ask if you put put it as comment #1. "Various music and sound fx provided by..." But really. Why not just in the description?? ;)

There's plenty of ways to go about it.

Bottom line, you either need to pay them for the right to not give them credit in the description (the way movie studios use music or hire musicians to write trailer music) or put the credit in the description like everyone else on Youtube does. Or get permission from them, in writing (email, whatever) to not give credit but to use it.

That's my opinion on it.

Back