Minor nuances of actors-Is it improvised or director's call

I made a post on how I am finding it tough to put my thought across to actors. Whenever I see a movie I notice how the actors act so naturally. For example in the opening scene of play misty for me where Eastwood is standing on the balcony, he looks to his side, looks straight and then walks in the direction he had looked. Now I wonder if he was specifically asked by the director to do this or he did it instinctively. What would the director have told him to do in that scene.

Minor nuances of actors - Is it improvised or director's call?

Yes. Both. Neither.

The more talented and dedicated the talent, the more fully realized the character. The director will, naturally, have input, but how much and what type of input will vary greatly depending upon the actor, director and project.

Whenever I see a movie I notice how the actors act so naturally.

That's the essence of great acting, which is why some actors get paid so much.

For example in the opening scene of "Play Misty For Me" where Eastwood is standing on the balcony, he looks to his side, looks straight and then walks in the direction he had looked. Now I wonder if he was specifically asked by the director to do this or he did it instinctively. What would the director have told him to do in that scene.

Yes, the director told him to do that, since Eastwood directed the film.

I agree with Alcove. It's a little of both.

Good actors are just that; good at their job. They bring more to
the project than lines memorized. And good directors can bring
out nuances in actors.

Back