Wrapped up a short a few weeks ago: It was a huge learning experience...

A little about about: I am a 22 year old actor/writer/director. Originally from Maryland, I started acting in 2011 when I was able to be a union solider in Lincoln. After that I acted in some indie films, and got to be on an episode of Veep. All the while I trained in theater. I had always been a writer having written several short stories, a screenplay and novel already.

Last year I moved to L.A. I started out still just acting. I was in a short film and in an episode of One Big Happy. But then I decided to try my hand at writing and directing.

I wrote, directed and starred in two short films last year. The first was top motion, the second was a live action melodrama. Both shot on a Nikon D3500. They got into some small festivals.

This brings me to this...

I shot my third short film a few weeks ago. It was shot on a Red Epic, so this was a big deal for me. I'd had some issues during pre production. But everything was all set.

Even when I woke up at 4am the day of to a text of the sound guy bailing, it was all good as a new guy had just signed up for free and my DP had sound equipment as well as lighting equipment.

A few people were thirty minutes late. But it was all good. We shot the first scene gorilla style in front of a church. We got away with it.

The short only had two locations. We get back to the main location. There were five actor, including myself as the star in the short. Two men, three women. The first scene had one of the three and she was done for the day. The other actor was there. But the actresses were no where in sights.

Here is what happened. The lead actress was a trainwreck waiting to happen. She had fallen into so many cliches (drugs, car crashes, getting broke, going to rehab). She lived in San Bernadino county and basically couldn't get down to the shoot. She went to rehab shortly after (she just got out). I saw this one coming a little.

The second actress I didn't see coming. Turns out she had gone to a party the night before (dumb move) and got slipped something.

What ended up happening was the lead actress was replaced by an actress that the DP knew and the rest of the day we shots scenes with just her and I until my crew bailed on me. It worked out though as we got to really work out the hardcore dramatic scenes for the last day.

Regardless the first day was still not bad. But after that...

The actress had an issue with a sex scene that I saw as critical. I was willing to tone it down to a scene that just implies it (making out, etc). And she seemed out with this. But I get a call from the DP with a heads up. He said that she texted him saying that she was not going to do it. I obviously wasn't happy with this. But I had no choice.

And because of the second day I had to pay the crew extra. The A.D/Boom operator was doing it for free so that wasn't an issue. But it caused stress as the crew was bugging me with this and I had no one else to handle this. I had/have no job so the financial stress was alot.

So on to the shoot. These issues helped me in a way as the scenes that I had to shoot got progressively heavier an ever (outside of the first day when we also shot the end of the short we shot everything in chronological order). So taking some of Natalie Portman's advice I used what was going on and put it into my performance. I think it worked.

I had wanted to get this done in six hours. But of course we got it done in ten. We ended up not having enough time to break for lunch as we were losing light. And we would get interruptions here and there.

There were some instances where I had to do some power plays. I felt the DP was rushing things at one point and yelled at him saying that I don't want sloppy work. He then started saying how I wouldn't have an end to the movie because of time, then I said "work quicker". Most people work so slow. This DP and the crew are those types of people. Talented though.

Then I didn't like how the actress was asking the DP a question so I had to explain to her how that was disrespectful.

For the most part I was a good leader and cheer leader. I created a shot list and explained it in a way that the DP could understand. On set I was able to show what I wanted. Same with what I wanted lighting wise. I gave all my performers the tools that they need to create their performances. I didn't micro manage and I was open to collaboration (the DP, had some good ideas that were incorporated). But overall I had a great hand in everything in this production. And I am proud of that.

It was a rough shoot. As for the sex scene, it just got turned into an even more dramatic scene ending with her leading me into the house implying that we will have sex. The film is going to be something a little different than what I wanted it to be at first. But I had to let it be.

I realize now why some directors like to work with different people per movie. On my next directing project (looking at doing a feature) I am getting new people in every area. The DP was 23 and while he was talented, that wasn't ideal. I rather have someone who is more in a mentor position like my second short. He bitched a little too much.

I also want to make sure I get only the most professional actors/actresses. I got some talented people don't get me wrong. The replacement for the lead turned out to be quite good. But I see why a lot of indie movies get movie stars versus unknown. They are so much more professional.

I want to go for the Clint Eastwood style of directing. Outside of a shot where we had to take 12 takes do to some issues, the average number of shots per take was three. Most went three to five. If I can get some people who move quicker that could cut time. Close ups were one to three max. Usually two.

I am developing my feature as we speak. I'm excited to think about another production. The short is currently being edited. I am also co composing the score. I am hoping this one really helps my career in a lot of ways.

Interesting first post!! Yeah actors can be a real PITA. If you find a good one now you'll be in a position to really appreciate them!

Basically my view is the vast majority of people will disappoint me, so when i find someone that doesn't I have nothing but respect for them!

Oh that is for sure. There are a few things I know I must do before my first feature

Have actors that are dependable

Have a DP that is at least five years older than me. Since I will be acting in my films as well I need someone who is more into the mentor thing. My DP on my second short was ten years older than me and we got along great. The DP on this short had better equipment, and was better in general. But he was only one year older than me and I kinda found him annoying. But I had to hire him for the red epic and steadicam.

I will not put personal money into anything again. I am just about broke (anyone need an actor). And having people come up to you and bother you about their paychecks is annoying. Going a second day hurt.

Less takes. Aside from when something got messed up on average I did three to five takes per shot. I want to get it where for important shots it is three takes per shot and for other shots one. This will speed up production.

Have a great AD. The one I had ended up doing boom. Turns out he couldn't do both. Figures that he is 29 doing a short for free.

Color code everyone's strengths and weakness (the core cast and crew).

Figures that he is 29 doing a short for free.

Everyone takes a different path. I'm 32 and only got into film making 3 years ago. I was in a documentary for some other stuff and the director went on to win an academy award. really inspired me - also probably not a typical story :lol:

My DP is also older, I haven't worked with anyone younger except the actors. Might help that as a director I'm older than all of them. It certainly helps my writing.

Since I will be acting in my films as well I need someone who is more into the mentor thing.

How do you manage this? I am an aspiring director currently writing for my first short film. How do you act and direct at the same time? Is it possible for a first timer like me? I acted before in theater and directed a theater before but i haven't done film yet. Why do you do this? Is it because you wanted to act and direct or is it cheaper and easier?

acting and directing can work but it requires more preparation and planning. i'll be doing it soon, because no one else can do the role. it was written specifically with my good looks, dedication to the role and talent in mind

I think writing/directing/acting is a good tip for aspiring actors who are looking to move up and get juicier roles.

But I'd certainly have advised you to put more experience filmmaking under your belt before getting a paying crew on board.
As making short films is expensive enough just covering food and a bit of gas money for people.

And it takes quite a bit of experience to know you're spending your money wisely. I'd suggest for instance getting a RED Epic was likely overkill in your situation. Instead finding somebody who is in your same position with a BMCC/GH4/etc and wants to move forward and partner with on it.

megatdanial: The only reason I can get away with it is because while I love filmmaking, I am an actor first. That's what I started out doing. I didn't direct until last October. So because of that the acting part isn't so tough compared to all the demands of a director and learning at the same time. If you feel that you are a good enough actor and can right a role that shows your chops then do it.

I do it for many reasons. At first it was simply to give myself work and use it to get better roles. But I've always loved film. So the more that I directed and studied film it became clear that I love directing just as much as acting. It's great practice for when I do it in a feature. And honestly most actors are starting to write and direct a lot now.

IronFilm: It is definitely a good way to get better parts, a better agent, etc.

I got an amazing deal on the Red Epic. It would have cost me around the same for a low quality camera. I was able to get the boom operator/ supposed to be AD for free and the replacement lead actress as it was her first IMDB credit. Going the second days stressed my funds for sure. The second actress took a hit in her paycheck for that Sunday.

My learning curve has been pretty quick. I started with a stop motion shirt film. Doing animation was a great process. You focus on making the artwork shine, I could solely focus on visual, then on acting, then on directing.

My second short I was able to understand how to work with actors on a set as s director. Combined with film school, independent study, planning, and just watching a ton of movies I was ready for a Red Epic.

It's all about learning how to use the camera. After that you just have to work. And besides when you shoot with a red the chances of getting into a festival goes up.

AudiPostExpert:There are so many ways that we can save time on a film set. The amount of times that you go to play back, how quickly you setup, getting effective shots, etc. Clint Eastwood is the best at this.

Last edited:
I am actually a great boss. I am very collaborative, I will listen to ideas, work with people and I don't micro manage. If there is a question I am more than capable of answering it. I joke around on set and try to give everyone freedom.

But my hand is in everything. Think of me as a cop for the film in one sense and a coach in the other. I don't accept anything less than great. So I will be hard on my crew for sure and expect my actors and actresses to give it their all.

The process of how a film issue doesn't matter because no one sees this. It's how effectively it gets made and if you can get the footage that you need to create the film that you want.

If I was DP on something and the director told me to slow down and get higher quality shots, but then after following his direction he told me to "work faster", I'd probably be pretty irritated. Especially because it sounds like the scheduling/lack of time wasn't the DP's fault in the first place.

I am actually a great boss.

no one thinks they are a bad boss, so your opinion on this matter is objectively irrelevant. sorry to say.

Perhaps you're a great boss I've never worked for you so I can't say for sure. But simply "putting pressure on people" as a solution to get work done faster seems quite unenjoyable and perhaps even counter productive.

The most that I do is try not to let them chat and laugh too long, give them a minute or so and then say okay guys lets get back to work. I'm also not paying a lot - and I believe when you're not paying professional wages it's a duty to have the process be enjoyable. If it's not enjoyable they better be making some good $!!

Anyone opinions on how great of a boss I am is pretty irrelevant. All that matters is if the shoot was effective and if the final product works.

Depending on the material, schedule and people you may have to make it tough. Is it a drama with super tense moments? Is the DP getting on your nerves and you need to call him out?

Overall you don't want to have to chastise anyone. But if you truly a good boss then you have to sometimes. You have to make sure people know it's your set.

Having low cost doesn't mean more fun. Try to make it easy. But work just as hard. The point is to make a film.

That's why I like working with a new cast and crew each time out.

I agree with most of what you're saying.

And yes people will forgive many indiscretions if they like the final product. Like giving birth to a child, labor is not enjoyable but the result can have people going back a second time.

You have an advantage in LA of being able to work with different people every time. It's a much smaller community of film makers and actors where I live. I could switch it up a handful of times but after that I'd probably have exhausted all of the really talented folks.

If there is a question I am more than capable of answering it.

You've made 3 shorts, no features and you think you know the answer to any potential question?

I don't accept anything less than great.

You're either going to need to completely redefine the meaning of the word "great" or spend a fortune hiring world class professional cast and crew who are capable of creating "great" and of course be a "great" director yourself to provide them all with the circumstances/opportunity necessary to actually do "great" work.

The point is to make a film.

In most cases, no it's not, because there is no demand for films, only for good films. Making a feature film is difficult, making a good feature film with a low budget is more difficult still and making a good film with a micro or nano budget is near impossible.

For most no/nano budget filmmaker it's all about having fun because having fun it what makes it an appealing hobby but a primary focus on fun rather than hard detailed work is extremely unlikely to result in a decent film. So, I agree with your basic premise. The dilemma for the nano budget filmmaker is that the vast majority of those who are willing to work for little pay are either hobbyists or those with limited experience/skill looking to develop. Applying pressure in these circumstances is unlikely to improve the quality of their work or worse, be entirely counter productive. And, even if you are a skilled enough boss/manager to apply pressure in a purely constructive way, that is still only one of the many skills necessary to be a good film director! My main concern though is that you seem to be equating doing fewer (1-3) takes with being more effective. Certainly that will speed up your production but most commonly that will result in you being less, not more effective. This is why I stated that you're in for another huge learning experience in the future.

G

Back