• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Making A Sandwich

So I just bought a Canon T3i and wanted to test it out.

Simple sandwich making video, wanted to try out different angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9f6bDJAw-c

Would love to hear any feedback on the lighting, angles, etc.

I was not going to watch this. Then I clicked play.

I realized one thing. This is an excellent exercise for any filmmaker. Just film anything, anything at all and think about how you're going to show it. Don't just click the record button. Think about HOW you're going to show WHAT you're going to show WHEN?

I can't comment on the lighting as I have very little expertise. But good exercise. A film just involves other people in your planning. But well planned. By the end I liked the exercise.

I hate the sight of pickles.

All that stuff but just one slice of ham??? :lol:

It does need a good finish.....

A good exercise. Now, for more exercise, do a complete audio post on it. In fact, do two or three. "HUH?" I hear you say? Yup - do one "standard" audio post like it was one section of a complete project, then do one as a comedy (slapstick over-the-top) and maybe a horror version.

@trueindie

Yeah that was my intention of doing this video. Just to exercise and practice. Glad you decided to watch!

@Alcove

Hahaha I was getting a bit anxious because during the shoot my tripod broke! I completely forgot the mushrooms!

I was going to attempt to animate more faces on the tomato and create more of a "death scene" to finish, but got lazy and frustrated with the motion tracking.

I may take you up and do a comedic and horror version. Can never have enough practice!

Thank you guys for the feedback, really appreciate it!

I need to try something like that. Did you shoot raw or regular? Can't see it in full quality because I'm watching on cell phone :)

I need to try something like that. Did you shoot raw or regular? Can't see it in full quality because I'm watching on cell phone :)

It was a great way to practice! I shot it regular I'm assuming, it was the first attempt at using the T3i, so most of the settings hadn't been changed.

How long did that take to "make" that sandwich? :lol:

I think you're ready for Food Network!

Oh man you have no idea. My girlfriend laughed when I told her it took me 2 hours lol.

I was coming up with the shots as I was going along and trying to act/check the footage did not help lol.

I got a call from Bobby Flay saying he wants me to be on Iron Chef Sandwich Edition lol

@Fwilly Yes I know lol terrible sandwich, but I just wanted to get the video done! haha

:lol: Yeah, I noticed the plethora of shots which when edited come out to be just a couple minutes - but would take quite a few minutes just to set up each shot.

A) If you had to do it over again - HOW would you design the whole shot plan differently?

B) Would you consider just plunking down the camera in a few different places and just build the same sandwich several times (say three to five times) - THEN - edit together a two minute piece from those multiple takes?

:lol: Yeah, I noticed the plethora of shots which when edited come out to be just a couple minutes - but would take quite a few minutes just to set up each shot.

A) If you had to do it over again - HOW would you design the whole shot plan differently?

B) Would you consider just plunking down the camera in a few different places and just build the same sandwich several times (say three to five times) - THEN - edit together a two minute piece from those multiple takes?

I know for a fact I would have all the shots planned out and not just wing it.

And yeah, now that you've mentioned that, that sounds a whole lot easier and less time consuming. I will definitely go that route on my next video.

These are actually videos I use to make a lot. Ones where you kind of just shoot everything you would do in making something simple like a sandwich. While it is a good exercise, I think the best time to learn is looking back at it.

A huge element in film making that beginners often overlook is not what you should add into the video, but what you shouldn't. Obviously in making a video like this, there's going to be tons of unnecessary shots. It's not meant to follow a plot with information being revealed. However, if you were to go back and edit it differently, say even making yourself trim off 30 or 45 seconds, you could learn how to work with structure more, and showing what you did with 5 shots in only 3.

Very good. I thought the tomato was a funny thing.

Probably needed more light when looking down at the table you were working off of and in the fridge.

I did a video like this but I was walking through woods...and yes it did take forever. I had to keep moving the camera ahead of me and then walk past it and then turn the camera around to take a shot of me walking past it. A 15 minuet walk turned into a forever project...so much like your two hour sandwich!

Well done. I think its a great idea to take the normal everyday things we do in life and make a video of it. You probably learned quite a lot from this project and what you can do.

Thanks for the replies! Yeah I did learn a lot, and I appreciate the light comment. That's one thing I know I want to improve on.

Glad you liked the tuhmater, Steve! Added that in just to give the video a little something.

Back