Keepin' the Actor Folk Happy

So, I am doing my first feature length film this summer. I have acquired all the actors I need, and all of them have agreed to do this for free. My concern is, however, that they'll begin to change their minds about doing the film as a favor. I need an incentive to keep the actors happy, that's not money. Let me know what you guys think.

Make sure that you always keep them in the loop.

Have the principals involved during preproduction meetings. They often have invaluable insights and/ suggestions.

Do proper tech location checks/run-throughs - check wireless lav placement on wardrobe, check to be sure there is sufficient power at locations, etc., etc., etc.

Do wardrobe and hair & make-up tests, with camera and lighting.

Preproduce the freakin' hell out of your production - the more thorough your preparations the less time is wasted on the set, and the time of your cast and crew is valuable.

Once you are on-set make sure that the craft table is well stocked all day. Good stuff, too!

Serve real meals; I'm so frigging sick of pizza and six-foot subs.

Make sure that there are clean bathrooms, and a comfortable place to hang out when not needed on the set.

Make sure that EVERYONE, down to the last PA, has a script.

Make sure that EVERYONE gets updated schedules. (This goes back to keep them in the loop.)

The concept is let every single member of the cast and crew know that they are important to the production and to treat them that way. People who feel that they matter to the production and who are treated well will work hard for you. Be thoroughly professional in your production methods and your habits/attitudes; it's always a pleasure to work with a real professional.

Owww I really get exited when only reading this kind of posts!

I wish you a lot of luck, and I think that it is very important to keep communication with ALL people that do something for you. Just let them know you are thankfull and you need them. So they won't get the feeling they are useless.

Success!

Back