Translating Chaotic Fiction into filmmaking?

Hey! Sorry if this is in the wrong section... I'm actually still working on learning about filmmaking. Basically, I'm working on a Chaotic Fiction piece. Basically, a cross between chat rooms, blog posts, and youtube videos all telling a story. The current budget is Marble Hornets level indie. Like, almost literally no budget, handheld cameras. It's all first-person, in-universe camera. I'm not going to be needing a lot out of my actors since the actual footage is pretty short (most of the story is in chat rooms, which I handle myself) But, on the filmmaking side of things:
-About how much should I save up as a budget for my actors? I was planning on using volunteers who needed like Thespian credits or such, as a friend suggested-- but I do want to pay them /something/, but I also don't want to seem cheap. I don't have a production studio or anything like that at all, I'm a 20yr old with a part-time job and a year to save up before pre-production starts.
-I'm eventually going to have a drowning scene I want to shoot, and the original plan was going to have me playing the character who drowns (we have a creek near my house that's deep but doesn't have any currents, and I'm a very strong swimmer), but I realized I odn't have the acting ability to play said character, so she's going to be an actual actor. I'm playing with the idea of having the actor who actually plays the character who drowns since their face might show up on screen... but I don't feel right asking an actor to do that in case something happens, I don't know. Paranoid, I guess. Any tips on this, or ideas on how to film it, creative camera angles maybe? It's a concrete shoes situation, the character gets dropped off a (short) bridge while her killers film it as a sort of "fuck you" to the rest of the characters/players.
- I'm also planning on having some Live Events, which is really a test in improv skills. For example, have some of the players meet up with a few cast members at the mall but the actors are staying in character (one of the players would be filming, a common practice for the Chaotic Fiction genre), but I'm worried that I'd be asking too much of my actors (in this situation, I would be playing one of the minor characters, just to keep an eye on things and in case one of the players asks a question the actors don't know the answer to). I don't know. I guess I just worry I might scare any potential actors off by asking too much of them for free.

uhhh, those are my only real questions so far.

Last edited:
Welcome to indietalk.

-About how much should I save up as a budget for my actors? I was planning on using volunteers who needed like Thespian credits or such, as a friend suggested-- but I do want to pay them /something/, but I also don't want to seem cheap.
Many actors will work for free so offering $30/$50 per day will not seem
"cheap". But as I say, many will work for free. Feed them and give then
$10 for gas.
Any tips on this, or ideas on how to film it, creative camera angles maybe? It's a concrete shoes situation, the character gets dropped off a (short) bridge while her killers film it as a sort of "fuck you" to the rest of the characters/players.
Do I understand that this is shot with one camera in "real time"? No cutting?
Quite a challenge. I have some ideas.

I'm worried that I'd be asking too much of my actors
Actors love a challenge. You may be asking too much of non-actors. No
way to tell if this is an issue until you have cast the project. Casting is
everything in a project like this - and its weakness in most cases. I see
many improve style films where a bunch of friends who think they are
very funny and clever but aren't when the camera is rolling. Your
challenge will be finding the right actors. Not a small challenge is it?

Do I understand that this is shot with one camera in "real time"? No cutting?
Quite a challenge. I have some ideas.

I'm still playing around with how it will actually be shot, to be honest. I'm thinking they would be more the type to have a camera on the bridge and a camera on the shore, so there would probably be cutting or hiding takes with the cuts. And yes, I know casting will be very tricky- I'm hoping maybe I can get a hold of someone who has exp as a casting director or somesuch to help me with this part, come to auditions and ect.

Thank you both for the prompt replies! Very helpful, and I'm much less nervous about this aspect of the project at least. XD

Back