Using film

Hi, just wondering how much longer do you think film will be a realistic way to shoot films? Because I've a long way to go before I become a proper filmmaker and I dearly hope to use film when I have the money.

Please tell me it will still be usable and realistic to use in many years to come.

The guy who got the famous shot of Monica Lewinski hugging Clinton commented once that he was shooting film that day. If he had been shooting digital he would have looked at that not paricularly interesting or well framed shot and deleted it.

I can't believe you just wrote that, Gonzo! I was thinking about telling that same story. It's a perfect illustration of my point. We must have listened to the same NPR interview?

About 95% of hollywood DPs shoot film.

Its not going anywhere soon, and higher res does not equal a better picture, infact it does the opposite and makes the image look more digital and less organic.

Digital may be cheaper, easier, and faster, but you can't replace film. The look of film cant be faked by any computer program, and, unlike digital videos, film will last much longer when archived properly.

You know what looks like film? FILM... In my opinion nothing looks as good as film, but shoot what you have the budget for, if tape is what you are bugeted for shoot tape it is relatively inexpensive and can be reused. The key point I guess is just shoot!!!!!

re

Yeah, I've lost footage because of shooting on digital, and I was shooting on mini dv, too!

Once it's shot you have it, and doesn't film essentially "print" and image onto the film as it is, instead of processing it?

For right now HD minidv id my only practical and cheap option, but given any opportunity I know film will have to be the choice.

and Christopher Nolan and Wally Pfister prefer film, too. Another good reason.

Film might be better at for higher budgets but digi has opened up the world of film for a bunch of lower income people like us. If I had the choice I'd prolly shoot film but I don't, so I'll be happy with digi. Don't tell me you can't make beautiful art on a DVX or better.

Slumdog Millionaire was shot on digital. Looking at the trailer, I can't tell. Betcha most audiences don't care either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_films_shot_in_digital

The debate will rage on, I'm just going to get on with whatever I have to hand. If I prove myself with Digi maybe I can graduate to film later. What I'll probably do, even when I have a lot of cash, is shoot a mix of digi and film. Film for some epic establishing shots, and digi to give actors more freedom.

This is only 2010. The major camera studios are bringing out better tech every year. By 2015 I'm sure there will have been a ton of advances.

Last edited:
I'd say unless you are doing it for artistic style there is practically no reason to use film anymore. I mean you might find some extremely cheap 35mm stuff as everybody is getting rid of theirs but I don't see any reason to invest in a new film system other then you want to have some unique look that is attributed to film. Everything about digital production is more efficient and of better quality.

Actually, a super 16 mm camera has extremely nice sharpness and contrast compared to a HD digital camera. Film, like 16 mm is also cheaper to shoot with, compared to the price of a digital camera, film cameras are extremely cheap.

You said digital is more efficient, I disagree. People rave about how with digital you can shoot a scene and then edit it on the set, but that's just the only advantage digital has to film, fast call back. But if you have to look at the view screen to see if you got the shot, then you didn't get the shot. A experienced director or photographer, knows when he/she "got the shot."

If you're shooting on film or on digital, you still will have to store the information and then edit it later in the editing room, this means all of the advantages of digital like hard drives and memory sticks, disappear, because in the end both mediums will have to be transfered into the computer, digital is just a little bit faster.

But I agree film won't be around for long, cameras like the RED Epic and Arri's Alexa are here to replace film, but for some reason digital seems less artistic, just imagine of the Dark Night was shot on digital, it would look very bad.

Back