Canon 518SV question - Exposure Meter Needle

Hey guys,

So I picked up the 518. It looks pretty neat. Anyways, it all seems to be working well enough (the motor and zoom), but the exposure meter needle doesn't seem to move regardless if I sine my camera directly at the sun or in a dark room. A little help? I've made sure that the shutter lock is set at "R", and my aperture control ring at both AUTO and MANUAL, but to no avail.

A little help? Is there something wrong with my button cells?

Last edited:
There ought to be a battery-test button on the camera. Tests both the motor batteries and the button cells.

The Manual/Auto switch should be on Auto, and the aperture ring/dial should be fully open.

It's entirely possible it's just a dud meter (these cameras are pretty old, after all) - but it's no biggie, as you'll be wanting to get a hand-held light meter anyway.

If it's just a case of dead batteries (also quite possible), those exact cells are not made anymore (too toxic nowadays). There are some battery adapters, though, that are the same size and shape as the original cells but which contain a smaller (modern) battery inside.

As long as all the manual functions (and the motor) works, you're good to go.

Good luck with your camera! :cool:

Back