Shooting 7217 with Canon 1014 XLS - stop down 1?

I've researched as much as I can and it seems that if I'm using the in-camera meter of the Canon 1014 and shooting Kodak super-8 Vision2 200T / 7217 that I will need to close down the aperture one stop from what the meter indicates. True? Anyone who can advise will be deeply appreciated! Thanks.

I dunno about that film-stock in particular, but it's true that many stocks need adjustments.

Many Super-8 cameras cannot read the modern cartridges properly. The camera may read a certain film speed as being different, or just not recognise it at all.

That's no big deal if you are doing everything manually anyway, but if you start relying on built-in meters (and automatic functions) your results are going to pretty hit & miss.

I don't have the URLs handy on my brand-new computer here, but you can easily look up adjustment charts on the web. Both Kodak & Canon have relatively recent charts, that specify how particular camera models interpret the cartridges - and any suggested adjustments to make.

Have fun. :)

I've researched as much as I can and it seems that if I'm using the in-camera meter of the Canon 1014 and shooting Kodak super-8 Vision2 200T / 7217 that I will need to close down the aperture one stop from what the meter indicates. True? Anyone who can advise will be deeply appreciated! Thanks.

Canon 1014 can correctly expose any film stock.

Concerning the Vision2 200T, there is no 200ASA notch in Super8, so the cameras expose this stock as ASA160. Negative film looks much better when overexposed, so you can even overexpose this one as an ASA100 for better results.

The only problem with Kodak negative stocks is that although they are balanced for tungsten light, their cartridges are notched as D (not T), so the internal filter is always disabled and you have to screw one in the lens for shooting outdoors... OR make a little cut in the cartidge using a knife and notching it correctly as a tungsten stock, then permitting to enable or disable the internal filter when needed via the camera selector.

So the problem in this case is the cartridge, not the camera...

Back