What music do you listen to?

Fun lists, guys!

I'm a long-time fan of Living Sacrifice and Project 86. Here are some others:

Underoath (the older Dallas Taylor stuff as well as the more recent)
Stavesacre
Demon Hunter
Family Force 5 (mostly mindless, fun music)
Andy Hunter

Though these days I'm mellowing out a bit and more often than not I'm listening to:

Danielson Famile
Half-Handed Cloud
Sufjan Stevens
Bill Monroe (and most any bluegrass)
Jimmy Driftwood

I grew up listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival, and have always enjoyed their tunes as well.

I usually don't listen to a certain genre of bands long enough for them to become my all-time "favorites", but lately I've been listening to a lot of these:
Palomar, Black Kids, Mr. Gnome, Pomegranates, The Summer Pledge, etc.

Fun lists, guys!

I'm a long-time fan of Living Sacrifice and Project 86. Here are some others:

Underoath (the older Dallas Taylor stuff as well as the more recent)
Stavesacre
Demon Hunter
Family Force 5 (mostly mindless, fun music)
Andy Hunter

Ah, the old CCM scene! Project 86 used to be a favorite of mine back in the day. I still listen to Stavesacre. Great stuff.

Nice list, B/N. Agree with pretty much everyone you listed.

However, there is only one real musical performer worth mentioning in the last 20 years.

Springsteen.

-C

Same here. I discovered Springsteen in college about 10 years ago. I can't listen to anything anymore. I grew up listening to U2, The Doors, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd mostly. But now it's all Springsteen. Now I find it impossible to go back.

Plus, I've been to his concerts. Religious experience. The man is a prophet!!!

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE

I listen to 'almost' every band/performer listed above.

But not any of the above pop 'artists'... I have over 4000 LPs/CDs accumulated over the past 50 years (almost all are complete collections)... my wife was a music collector as well (although her taste is almost the same as mine -- she's just happens to be younger). Plus. On reel to reel, another 1000 LPs (mostly jazz) converted to tape. I have a lot of autographed LPs (I used to due the recording musician thing -- One St. Stephen -- L.O.L. -- look me up on Yahoo or Google)

There are so many great musicians and recordings out there!

A few (my favorites) groups I did not see listed above (listed in random order):
Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson (if you like Pink Floyd you will love later Porcupine Tree).
Drive-by Truckers (country flavored anti-establishment rock with a twang).
Gram Rabbit (new take on psychedelic rock).
Curve (for those that like heavy industrial with a female vocal that sounds like velvet dipped in oil).
Little Feat (esp. Lowell George material)
Eels
Concrete Blonde
Living Colour
Peter Gabriel
Tubes
Quicksilver Messenger Service (early recordings featuring John Cipollina)
Rusted Root
The Golden Palominos
Tom Petty

For those that like guitar oriented bands:
Derek Trucks Band
Joe Bonamassa

For fans of female vocalists:
Joni Mitchell's first 9 studio recordings (awesome writer and musician)
Karla Bonoff
Wendy Waldman
Patti Smith
Maria Muldaur
Siouxsie

When I write -- I listen to all music (for mood) but add a lot of soundtrack music for concentration and creative effect.

Oh, and for the sick and twisted... Fear of God the two LP/CD recordings with Dawn Crosby (she died many years ago). Great music for those with a horror streak...

I'm also of the any and everything camp; there is no style of music that I entirely dislike. From Tuvan throat singing to polka, from country to noise and everything inbetween. I do tend towards the darker, but I'll listen to anything once and can usually find at least one song I like from any given artist. Some of my favorites:

Swans (the most brutal band you will ever hear. No-wave/post-rock/folk/industrial...depends on what day it is. All of it amazing)
Oingo Boingo (insane new wave randomness from Danny Elfman. One of the main reasons I'm doing film music)
tindersticks (modern lounge/soul...think Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave and Angelo Badalamenti)
The Church (psychedelic guitar pop. Had a hit in the 80s and got better from there. "Priest=Aura" is a must hear album)
Aube (structural noise from Japan. Single sound source sonic sculptures. One of my biggest influences)
Current 93 (apocalyptic folk/outsider music)
Nurse With Wound (surrealist abstract music. Longtime collaborator with Current 93, so there's a lot of crossover)
Necrophorus (dark ambient from the guy behind Raison d'Etre, who I also like, but I like Necrophorus better)
Alcest (shoegazer death metal. One of the most melodically beautiful bands in the genre)
Opeth (progressive post-death metal...lots of psych-folk influence in their later works)
Legendary Pink Dots (psychedelic electronica band. Their fans are a mix of goths, hippies and experimental fans, and that's very appropriate)
Kate Bush (possibly the most well known name on this list. If you don't know her, but like your singer-songwriter stuff on the quirky side, you'd love her)
Godspeed You Black Emperor (post-rock guitar orchestra)
Gyorgi Ligetti (20th century classical, usually more abstract than melodic)
Joy Division (yep, still like 'em. THE post-punk band from the late 70s)
Foetus/Steroid Maximus (industrial rock/swing...hard to describe)
The Toasters (classic 80s ska...Two-Tone sound with Third Wave attitude)
Tom Waits (...which I think is all the description you could give him!)
The Old Blind Dogs (traditional scottish folk...Ian Benzie is no longer with the band, but his solo stuff is amazing too)
Loreena McKennitt (more modern folk, with lots of global influence)
Laeather Strip (electro-industrial)
Coil (deep electronica...sometimes ambient, sometimes industrial, usually amazing)
King Crimson (classic prog)
Genesis (with Peter Gabriel; not so much after he left. I do love his solo stuff too)
Erasure (synthpop. Vince Clarke is one of the best electronica artists I've ever heard)
Frank Zappa (one of my favorite guitarists ever. Jazz from hell!)
Katzenjammer (random folk/pop...think Shonen Knife meets Gogol Bordello)

I like a lot of the artists people have already mentioned, though I'm less into straight forward rock and roll. I did grow up on Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and The Cure and have soft spots for all three (though don't listen to them much these days).

I listen to anything but rap and hip-hop....

I like alot of classical guitar stuff, metal, folk, whatever.... Lately I have been listening to Black Country Communion.. Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonamassa, Jason Bonham and Derek Sherinian..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCy8UyS7Mmw

Huge fan of musical theater, particularly
RENT
Spring Awakening
Next to Normal
Anything Goes
Chicago
Sweeney Todd
Sunset Boulevard
Cabaret

And non musical stuff would be, among others
Fleetwood Mac
Howard Shore
Cannibal Corpse
Iron Maiden
Behemoth
Sonata Arctica
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Marilyn Manson

Most of my favorite music

I love music I'm always trying to find more artists to get into! I listen to a lot of music and there are more artists I dig but not as much as these.

These are the artists I listen to the most: A.R. Rahman, AC/DC, Adele, Ambulance LTD, Amy Winehouse, Aretha Franklin, The Beach Boys, The Beatles (and their solo careers), Beck, Beethoven, Bessie Smith, Billy Joel, Björk, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Brian Wilson, Bruce Springsteen, The Byrds, Chaka Khan, Chuck Berry, The Clash, David Bowie, Diana Ross, The Doors, Duran Duran, Elton John, Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton, Eurythmics, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Sinatra, Frank Zappa, Freddie Mercury, George Clinton, George Michael, James Brown, Janelle Monáe, Janet Jackson, Janis Joplin, Jeff Buckley, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West, Kate Bush, The Kinks, Lauryn Hill, Led Zeppelin, Lenny Kravitz, Lionel Richie, Little Richard, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson (and his work with his brothers), Miles Davis, Minnie Riperton, The Monkees, Mozart, 'N Sync, Nazz, Nirvana, The Notorious B.I.G., Otis Reding, OutKast, Parliament/Funkadelic, Pink Floyd, The Pixies, The Police, Prince, Queen, Radiohead, The Rolling Stones, Sam Cooke, Santana, Sly & The Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads, Terence Trent D'Arby (Sananda Maitreya), The Time, Tina Turner, Todd Rundgren, Tupac, U2, Utada Hikaru, The Velvet Underground, Wham!, The Who, The Yardbirds, Yellow Magic Orchestra, The Zombies.

(I bolded my favorites)

Last edited:
I've been re-exploring my 80s collection:

David & David, A-ha, Depeche Mode, Thompson Twins, Crowded House, Psychedelic Furs, U2, Breathe, Spandau Ballet, The Cure, Dream Academy, Limited Warranty, INXS, Human League, Talking Heads, ABC, Simple Minds

You know, all the bands that seem cool in retrospect, but at the time got me stuffed into lockers.

Fun thread.

Why did you edit out your list, Richy? You had some good choices - NIN, U2, Concrete Blonde, Sisters of Mercy, etc.... That's right - I saw it! :lol::lol:

David & David, A-ha, Depeche Mode, Thompson Twins, Crowded House, Psychedelic Furs, U2, Breathe, Spandau Ballet, The Cure, Dream Academy, Limited Warranty, INXS, Human League, Talking Heads, ABC, Simple Minds

Yeah, I love synth pop!

Why did you edit out your list, Richy? You had some good choices - NIN, U2, Concrete Blonde, Sisters of Mercy, etc.... That's right - I saw it! :lol::lol:

Oh, you! =P

Thanks for the positive feedback. I don't know...I guess my tastes were looking rather divergent from everyone else's and I was feeling a bit like the misfit and a weird kind of silly.

Latest CD purchase - INCEPTION, by Hans Zimmer. I listen to a lot of soundtracks, but I have about 80 Depeche Mode CDs, followed by my Tangerine Dream collection. I like synths and orchestra more than anything.

You know, all the bands that seem cool in retrospect, but at the time got me stuffed into lockers.

I know, I can relate to that! I didn't love Depeche Mode back when they/he was big, but lately I have this almost on continuous loop in my head and I think I love it. I think I'm gonna have to get me some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snILjFUkk_A

I know, me too lately. I've been getting these hunger pangs for 80's and 70's music that was big when I was a kid. But maybe I'm a little bit older than you guys so that seems to mean stuff like Foreigner and Bob Seger and Supertramp and Journey and Van Halen and, I don't know, classic rock like that. Maybe a symptom of oldmanitis. =)

Richy, I think we're within a couple years of age (I'm 47). I'm just a really strange person in that I grew up listening to movie soundtracks the way most people listened to the radio. My main collection is movie soundtracks - Williams, Goldsmith, Carpenter, Tangerine Dream, Moroder, Silvestri, Herrmann, Horner, Young, Murphy, Jablonsky, etc.

As far as my rock and pop collection, I've gone through 3 main time phases:

80's - Foreigner, Journey, The Cars, Def Leopard, ABC, Duran Duran, New Order, Tears for Fears, Simple Minds, etc.

The early 90's Alternative craze (when Columbia House and BMI had those "12 CDs for 1 penny" sales) - Depeche Mode, Nirvana, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, NIN, Crystal Method, Pixies, etc.

After a decade of mostly disinterest, I'm following what my kids are listening to the radio and I find myself listening to "chick pop", like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry (love that girl), Ke$ha and some other stuff that is stupid, yet catchy ear candy. :)

My last CD purchase was a Lacuna Coil disc that had a nice cover of Depeche's "Enjoy the Silence."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx58hXh4pVA

Speaking of Depeche covers, Rammstein did a pretty cool version of "Stripped."

80's metal is the best!

But i mean i love a lot of different kinds of music but it's mainly some kind of rock.
I mean my record for seeing bands live is almost all rock bands from Aerosmith to Steel Panter.
But my favorite band of all times, Journey(BEST LIVE BAND EVER).

Artist I've seen for example(It's not only for bragging purposes):
Rick Springfield,Ozzy, Gary Moore, Europe, Treat,Foreigner,Clutch, Deep Purple, Twisted Sister to name a small few out of hundreds!

Back