This is the part I hate

I sent the hard drive off to the editor in California today. Now I get to live for a week or two until I get the first rough cut in abject terror that I missed some critical shot that will stop a scene from editing together the way I wanted it to. Pre-production is stressful, the whole post process, at least until it starts to get close to being done is WAY worse.

Cracker funk is temp-banned?

To the OP: Hey at least you're making movies. Congrats on getting it to this stage, and good luck for the final cut!

You mean that the rough wasn't being put together while you were shooting?

This is the first movie where I haven't had the editor on set. No second set of eyes looking at the footage and being there to pipe up and say "You know you really ought to get a shot of...."

I had a DIT dumping footage from the cards to the drives, but that's it. It's all on me. If I blew it, I blew it. Main concern is the stuff shot about hour 16 of Day 1 when I was getting pretty foggy.

same here.. I have some footage in the can, and I dont know exactly what I have.. my shot list went all fuzzy at about 10 hours.. I hope the editor (me) can piece SOMETHING together..

The first movie I edited was completely shot before I got the footage. It was a nightmare trying to piece it together. The director had some notes. But, if I followed his direction to a tee, it'd have been a mess. He chose bad takes for wrong reasons. It was odd, and an unusual learning experience.

Just curious: You didn't send the only copy of the footage?

Last edited:
I can only imagine. It's easily the worst part of anything I write. The process can be a blast. It's just that part where I have to hope all the time was worth it that kills me.

I'm sure it'll be fine though. It's just a question of dying a thousand times before you finally hear back from them, and that can be hell.

The first movie I edited was completely shot before I got the footage. It was a nightmare trying to piece it together. The director had some notes. But, if I followed his direction to a tee, it'd have been a mess. He chose bad takes for wrong reasons. It was odd, and an unusual learning experience.

Just curious: You didn't send the only copy of the footage?

Oh god no. It was backed up to a second drive as it was dumped on set, then it was backed up to a third drive by me before it was shipped off. I have reviewed some footage and plan to look more, but I'm not an editor, my mind doesn't work that way. I can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to cutting 3 hours of footage into a 12 minute movie. I was working from story boards and a shot list, but in the real world sometimes that has to be modified on the fly. My guy in LA is a pro, and I should have plenty of coverage, but the possibility of brain freeze is always there. He has pretty meticulous script notes and a script lined with the shots we got, so he should be fine.

From seeing The Island and reading a lot of your posts here, your directing approach seems very detailed and specific which is great, so I can't imagine you dropped the ball. With meticulous script notes for your editor you should be in good shape? Fingers crossed.

I'm staring at footage for 3 music videos, a short doc and a feature film that I need to edit and am beginning to wonder if I have the mettle to get my mind around it all. I've done it before, but not with an all new editing "app" that's kinda clunky. Ugh.

Good luck!

Couple of screen grabs, reviewing some footage and feeling better. Shot in cinestyle, I applied the S Curve to the color.

5892672634_d67f6b8483_z.jpg

5892672690_1894382c51_z.jpg

5892105177_50d83fd82d_z.jpg

Just watched 'The Island', and can honestly say that was one of the best short films I've ever seen!

Those shots you just posted look awesome :) Can't wait to check it out!

From seeing The Island it's clear you have a pretty damn good grasp on how to get what you want on camera, so I don't think you have too much to worry about for this :) All there is to do is wait!

Those test frames look really nice. The Island was just perfect, probably one of the best shorts I've seen. I just wanted a little more color and light. This time, you've absolutely nailed it.

Back