Films like "Pan's Labyrinth"?

Anybody know any movies like Pan's Labyrinth?
Looking for stuff with a similar atmosphere and the dark fairytale style of the plot, ideas, visuals etc.

What Dreams May Come

Dark City

Mirrormask

Brazil

For lighter, but similar fare:

Labyrinth

Adventures of Baron Munchausen

"The Company of Wolves," an excellent older Neil Jordan work.

"Dark Crystal," of course, though it's very lighthearted.

Jan Svankmayer's "Alice."

The animated film "The Last Unicorn."

Man, it's like we're just naming titles in my DVD collection! ;)

All of these are great. "Legend" and "Alice" get particular seconds ("Legend" is one of my all time favorite films). I'd also add Terry Gilliam's "Tideland"; difficult to watch, but very similar to "Pan's Labyrinth". Anything by Gilliam is worth a watch, and next to "Brazil", "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" is my favorite. Also by del Toro, "Devil's Backbone", while more a horror film, has a lot of the fairy tale/fantasy elements he explored more deeply with Pan. I enjoyed "Hellboy 2" as well; a lot more fantasy than the first, which was more lovecraftian.

Also, some of the Tim Burton standards, "Edward Scissorhands" and "Sleepy Hollow" in particular, are good in a similar style.

...now I'm going to have the theme from "The Last Unicorn" stuck in my head all day ;)

The Fall - Tarsem Singh
Also by Tarsem is "The Cell" - which I think fits into the strong atmospheric visuals category, but not so much the fairy tale - unless you like your fairy tales really, really dark...and bloody.

I'd also add Terry Gilliam's "Tideland"; difficult to watch, but very similar to "Pan's Labyrinth". Anything by Gilliam is worth a watch, and next to "Brazil", "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" is my favorite.

Yes, Tideland is definitely a companion piece to PL. Also The Fisher King by Gilliam.

Also in the Arthurian legend realm is Excalibur.

Oh yeah, Big Fish for sure!

Btw, it's being made into a Broadway musical with a 2012 opening. Hope I can get to see it. :cool:

Back