Short Films vs Theaters question

Hi everyone,

I have a question in regards to short films and also getting a film into theaters, but couldn't seem to find a direct answer out there. If you could help me that will be wonderful.

My question is....

When people submit short films to film festivals, how do they expect for it to get into theaters? Because theaters usually show feature length films.

I also heard, if I were to make a feature, it would be harder to submit to most film festivals, as they mainly accept/ prefer shorts, so they could fit more into the slots and be able to show more films at once.

Realistically, I'm looking to produce a short film, but my end goal is wanting it to have a chance to get into theaters down the road.

In which I'm currently stuck at how it actually works. From the part where people do a short film, submit it to a festival, to the point it ends up being distributed at theaters as a feature length film. There must be a part I'm missing in-between.

Last but not least, what length should my short be? In order to have a chance to get into festivals, and eventually into theaters down the road? And when I say theaters I don't mean for a screening, but for an actual release.

Much thanks for your help!

Welcome to indietalk.

My question is....

When people submit short films to film festivals, how do they expect for it to get into theaters? Because theaters usually show feature length films.
They don't. Theaters do not show short films.

I also heard, if I were to make a feature, it would be harder to submit to most film festivals, as they mainly accept/ prefer shorts, so they could fit more into the slots and be able to show more films at once.
More shorts are shown so the odds are a little better in getting selected with
a short film than a feature. But then, considerably more shorts are made and
submitted so the odds go down.

Realistically, I'm looking to produce a short film, but my end goal is wanting it to have a chance to get into theaters down the road.

In which I'm currently stuck at how it actually works. From the part where people do a short film, submit it to a festival, to the point it ends up being distributed at theaters as a feature length film. There must be a part I'm missing in-between.
Not so stuck as you think you are. You know that theaters do not show short
films so your goal of getting a short into theaters is unrealistic. There really isn't
an in-between step you're missing.

Last but not least, what length should my short be? In order to have a chance to get into festivals, and eventually into theaters down the road? And when I say theaters I don't mean for a screening, but for an actual release.
Festivals generally program shorts in the 5 to 15 min length. Theaters do
not show shorts so there is no general length that works.

Directorik... thanks so much for your reply! I appreciate it very much :)

With that being said, whats the main point of people doing shorts then? I guess mainly for hobby and a stepping stone for potential future bigger/ better projects?

Recently, one of my friend's friend said they have made a short film, and will be submitting to film festivals, with hopes it'll get picked up, and eventually turn it into a full feature.

Would this also be one of the reasons people submit short films to festivals? Because through this method it has a chance of being at theaters in the end?

Directorik... thanks so much for your reply! I appreciate it very much :)

With that being said, whats the main point of people doing shorts then? I guess mainly for hobby and a stepping stone for potential future bigger/ better projects?

Recently, one of my friend's friend said they have made a short film, and will be submitting to film festivals, with hopes it'll get picked up, and eventually turn it into a full feature.

Would this also be one of the reasons people submit short films to festivals? Because through this method it has a chance of being at theaters in the end?
All of the above; a hobby, a stepping stone and even learning.

Making a movie is quite difficult and like anything difficult people who
practice often get good at it. We don't often hear of a high school or
college baseball player entering the major leagues after playing one or
two games of baseball. But many people think if they make one short
film they will be hired to make a feature. It does happen occasionally
so the dream and hope remains strong.

Many people have made short films that are then made into a feature;
Billy Bob Thorton, Jared Hess, Sam Rami, Wes Anderson, James Wan,
Scott Coffey, Martin McDonagh even George Lucas. Even more have
made short films as a calling card - the shorts were never remade into
a feature but based on the promise shown they were hired to make a
feature. Rarely are the short films that launched their career their first.

I take it you have never been to a film festival?

While I agree with everything Directorik has said, I will elaborate a little. There are in fact some theatrical distribution opportunities for shorts, take a look at Shorts International for example, who are a British company with distribution (and subsidiaries) in North America, Europe and Australia. Some points to bare in mind however:

1. As you've identified, few cinemas screen shorts, so obviously you're looking at limited (albeit international) distribution rather than wide theatrical distribution.

2. Shorts International is the official distributor of The Oscars nominated shorts. In other words, we're really talking about world class shorts here and there's "realistically" no chance your first short will be world class. "Realistically" it would have to be an ambitious long term goal.

3. Even with the ability to create a world class short and getting a distribution deal (with say Shorts International), the cost of producing a short to this standard is unlikely to ever be fully recouped. However, as mentioned, a world class short can still have worth well beyond it's substantial cost, even if none of that cost is recouped, in terms of publicity and/or creating future opportunities for example.

G

Directorik - not yet, I think I should start going to the next one that happens locally. I'm from Vancouver, Canada. Thanks for the reminder.

AudioPostExpert - thanks so much for elaborating. Both your answers combined have provided me with a much better insight of how it works now.

With that being, I will stick with a short film for now, and maybe try a feature down the road when it is more appropriate.

You guys rock! Happy film making :)

Film maker,

If you're in Vancouver and are interested in short films, go to the Celluloid Social Club, which is a monthly networking event that also shows short films by the members. The quality of those films is surprisingly high, and you can get very inspired by the people who attend.

Back