• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Help!!

Hey there Indies, I recently got an ideas to take up screenplay writing as an hobby. I found people on various blogs that were experts in this job but always asked for money in order to help out!! I have a plan to make an awesome indie-low budget movie but need help to expand the plot. Of course the plot doesn't need to be an Oscar winning plot but need to be interesting and twist taking. I'll to joining the discussion below. Expand the following idea and add suspense to it. Please try to think of an idea that requires low budget.

The base idea is as follow:- "There is undercover cop and a low profile government detective. On one of his mission he gets involved in a fight and later he is informed by his family doctor that he is suffering from traumatic brain injury. And in end he realizes the doctor is a drug kingpin."

Note:- I you have better suggestion than the given idea please do tell me.!!I'm just a novice and 15 year old!!

I need IDEAS :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I suggest you write something you can make.

You're 15. You don't have much actual experience with undercover
cops, low level government detectives, drug kingpins and traumatic
brain injuries. You've seen movies with all those things. How are you
going to make that on a low budget?

So how about writing about a 15 year old in India? An awesome low
budget movie about a 15 year old discovering something crazy and
then add suspense and twists. What are you and your friends into?
Make up something about those interests, using locations and
costumes and cops that you already have access to. We've all seen
hundreds of movies about undercover cops and drug kingpins. Show
us something we haven't seen. Something unique to YOU and where
you live and who you know. It doesn't have to be real – make stuff up.

The budget will be low so high-end props and scenes are out of the question. I like the idea that the doctor wants to send him on a vacation. But the cop is a die-hard worker and stays on duty. The doctor sees this as an problem for him self and he give him some medicine that makes him pass-out occasionally.

I suggest you write something you can make.

You're 15. You don't have much actual experience with undercover
cops, low level government detectives, drug kingpins and traumatic
brain injuries. You've seen movies with all those things. How are you
going to make that on a low budget?

So how about writing about a 15 year old in India? An awesome low
budget movie about a 15 year old discovering something crazy and
then add suspense and twists. What are you and your friends into?
Make up something about those interests, using locations and
costumes and cops that you already have access to. We've all seen
hundreds of movies about undercover cops and drug kingpins. Show
us something we haven't seen. Something unique to YOU and where
you live and who you know. It doesn't have to be real – make stuff up.

Right but I need to write a crime/thriller script.

Right but I need to write a crime/thriller script.
Exactly. And we've all seen crime/thrillers with undercover cops
and drug kingpins. How about a crime/thriller script without those
old cliches? Something unique. A crime/thriller script only YOU
can do. An awesome low budget indie with characters and situations
and scenes we haven't see a million times.

Exactly. And we've all seen crime/thrillers with undercover cops
and drug kingpins. How about a crime/thriller script without those
old cliches? Something unique. A crime/thriller script only YOU
can do. An awesome low budget indie with characters and situations
and scenes we haven't see a million times.

Please can you elaborate!! No offense but I don't understand it...... :huh:

Hey there Indies, I recently got an ideas to take up screenplay writing as an hobby. I found people on various blogs that were experts in this job but always asked for money in order to help out!! I have a plan to make an awesome indie-low budget movie but need help to expand the plot. Of course the plot doesn't need to be an Oscar winning plot but need to be interesting and twist taking. I'll to joining the discussion below. Expand the following idea and add suspense to it. Please try to think of an idea that requires low budget.

The base idea is as follow:- "There is undercover cop and a low profile government detective. On one of his mission he gets involved in a fight and later he is informed by his family doctor that he is suffering from traumatic brain injury. And in end he realizes the doctor is a drug kingpin."

Note:- I you have better suggestion than the given idea please do tell me.!!I'm just a novice and 15 year old!!

I need IDEAS :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I think directorik gave you great advice -- write what you know.

I overhead a conversation the other day. A 21 year old was telling a 45 year old man that life sucks at 45, he doesn't want to live that long.
The 45 year old man looked at the young chap and said, "how the hell would you know what it's like to be 45 years old?"

You can't write about life experiences you have no idea about. Write about a story you know and can relate to. Good luck.

I recently got an ideas to take up screenplay writing as an hobby.

can anyone can give up some ideas according to that???

As a writer who writes screenplays, its your job to come up with those ideas.

You've been given some ideas. You need to take those ideas, and run with them and make them your own. Alternatively, you could offer a writer payment to write them for you.

Okk then can anyone can give up some ideas according to that???

A crime drama can be a teenager solving a neighborhood mystery that has no legal process involved. Get creative with the definition of the genre. If you follow established genre "rules" in a new/different environment, you may come up with something very fun and interesting.

Please can you elaborate!! No offense but I don't understand it...... :huh:

You don't know what it's like to be an undercover cop except
for what you have seen on TV and the movies. You don't know
what it's like to be a drug kingpin except for what you have
seen on TV and the movies. As a filmmaker making your
awesome low budget movie you will need to hire adult actors
to play those characters. With the drug kingpin as a doctor
you'll need locations you cannot get. Your low budget movie
will not be awesome if you have to fake those things.

So write a story YOU can make. Write a crime/thriller YOU can
make. Use what you have. Who is going to be in your movie?
What locations and props do you have access to? Think about
those things and write a story with those things.

How about a crime/thriller set in your school? You could use
the same story (almost) with out undercover cops, government
detectives and a drug kingpin doctor. I can think of a dozen
crime/thriller stories using kids as characters.

Since you are a novice, it is best to start with short scripts to shoot with your friends. These are often 5-10 pages. It gives you practice writing with good format. It gives you practice with how to shoot film. It makes it easier to work with actors since it only requires 1 or 2 days to film.

"A young man works as a dabbawala. In the course of going to market, his cart is toppled and he discovers one of the tins contains drugs. He is now afraid for his life. He recognizes the tin belongs to local man. He's afraid to go to the police. He goes to his cousin who promises to help him. They get an idea ..."

Now you have something to work with. You need to figure out how it ends. Keep it simple.

Brick might be a good film to checkout for how a crime film can be made interesting by setting it in a school. It still uses the drug/kingpin thing but in a new way (that could be achievable on a low budget).

Think about what crimes could happen in your school. One of my teachers turned out to be a conman without a teaching degree. School is a great setting for creating a crime mystery that defies cliche.

A crime drama can be a teenager solving a neighborhood mystery that has no legal process involved. Get creative with the definition of the genre. If you follow established genre "rules" in a new/different environment, you may come up with something very fun and interesting.

You don't know what it's like to be an undercover cop except
for what you have seen on TV and the movies. You don't know
what it's like to be a drug kingpin except for what you have
seen on TV and the movies. As a filmmaker making your
awesome low budget movie you will need to hire adult actors
to play those characters. With the drug kingpin as a doctor
you'll need locations you cannot get. Your low budget movie
will not be awesome if you have to fake those things.

So write a story YOU can make. Write a crime/thriller YOU can
make. Use what you have. Who is going to be in your movie?
What locations and props do you have access to? Think about
those things and write a story with those things.

Since you are a novice, it is best to start with short scripts to shoot with your friends. These are often 5-10 pages. It gives you practice writing with good format. It gives you practice with how to shoot film. It makes it easier to work with actors since it only requires 1 or 2 days to film.

"A young man works as a dabbawala. In the course of going to market, his cart is toppled and he discovers one of the tins contains drugs. He is now afraid for his life. He recognizes the tin belongs to local man. He's afraid to go to the police. He goes to his cousin who promises to help him. They get an idea ..."

Now you have something to work with. You need to figure out how it ends. Keep it simple.

Brick might be a good film to checkout for how a crime film can be made interesting by setting it in a school. It still uses the drug/kingpin thing but in a new way (that could be achievable on a low budget).

Think about what crimes could happen in your school. One of my teachers turned out to be a conman without a teaching degree. School is a great setting for creating a crime mystery that defies cliche.

Thank you guys, so for now I'll try to write script that I can shoot around. This tread can be closed now. Stay tuned guys for the script !!!

Back