Lighting Kit: Opiniouns / Suggestions

DIY lights are the way to go IMO. Power strip + LED bulbs + adaptors.. put that in a white box with a sheet over the front of it and you've got nice diffused light. Decent quality, low heat, and pretty cheap.

Horrible investment.

Lights are something you'd normally want to rent, not buy.

I disagree. Cameras are constantly changing, but lighting remains basically the same. The main change that I've seen is the move to LED lights. Lights are a good investment because you use them for a long time. Unless they are very high powered, lights are not particularly expensive and so buying makes more sense in the long run.

The link to the lights in the OP appears to be for studio portraits. I like battery powered LED lights with some fresnels for low light situations.

I disagree. Cameras are constantly changing, but lighting remains basically the same. The main change that I've seen is the move to LED lights. Lights are a good investment because you use them for a long time. Unless they are very high powered, lights are not particularly expensive and so buying makes more sense in the long run.

The link to the lights in the OP appears to be for studio portraits. I like battery powered LED lights with some fresnels for low light situations.

. . . Have you seen the prices for actual lights? Not LED, like Mole Richardson, SunRay, Arri, or Kino Flo kits? Then have you seen the prices to get them fixed if they break?

[Decided to include a link if you'd like to see the price of such kits. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/166978-REG/Mole_Richardson_5826_Tweenie_II_4.html btw, those stands suck, so you'll want to upgrade those and get some sandbags as well. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/139497-REG/Matthews_387031_Hollywood_Beefy_Baby_Steel.html ]

Rental studios have 1 thing more than anything else, lights.

Cameras also aren't constantly changing. The life span of the Alexa has been great. Life spans of each RED model are also spectacular.

Although once again, if I were on a serious shoot, I'd rent one of those, not buy.

--------

For practice? I'd get a Canon or Blackmagic camera and maybe the cheapest Mole Richardson kit I could come by that was for three point lighting + some china balls. (HomeDepot if you want to practice Kinos)

Last edited:
. . . Have you seen the prices for actual lights? Not LED, like Mole Richardson, SunRay, Arri, or Kino Flo kits? Then have you seen the prices to get them fixed if they break?

[Decided to include a link if you'd like to see the price of such kits. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/166978-REG/Mole_Richardson_5826_Tweenie_II_4.html btw, those stands suck, so you'll want to upgrade those and get some sandbags as well. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/139497-REG/Matthews_387031_Hollywood_Beefy_Baby_Steel.html ]

Cameras also aren't constantly changing. The life span of the Alexa has been great. Life spans of each RED model are also spectacular.

Although once again, if I were on a serious shoot, I'd rent one of those, not buy.

--------

For practice? I'd get a Canon or Blackmagic camera and maybe the cheapest Mole Richardson kit I could come by that was for three point lighting + some china balls. (HomeDepot if you want to practice Kinos)

I have a blackmagic camera. What are the average rates / day for renting a solid set of 3 lights and china balls?

DIY lights are the way to go IMO. Power strip + LED bulbs + adaptors.. put that in a white box with a sheet over the front of it and you've got nice diffused light. Decent quality, low heat, and pretty cheap.

That sounds very doable. I've got plenty of power strips. What in detail would I need to purchase from Home Depot? Thanks

Do you recommend anywhere in particular to purchase these?

Last edited:
That sounds very doable. I've got plenty of power strips. What in detail would I need to purchase from Home Depot? Thanks

I use two adaptors.
1 to allow a light bulb to plug into a power socket
1 to allow 2 light bulbs to screw into a light socket
a bunch of light bulbs.. i use 10W daylight balanced LED.. a pack of 4 wasn't too expensive, under $20

that's all from home depot

paint the inside of the box white

lights.jpg

drape the sheet over the front for soft diffused light
there are some upgrades you can make to this setup (such as using a flagpole holder so you can tilt it forward) but this this is my basic, cheap and effective DIY lighting.

It's super bright. 100W of LED is about a 650W equivalent for tungsten/incandescent.
What's even better? Very low heat. When the air conditioning is turned off so you get good sound, it's important not to wear out your whole cast and crew with a bunch of heat.

Last edited:
I have a blackmagic camera. What are the average rates / day for renting a solid set of 3 lights and china balls?

No idea, varies per rental house. Region you live has a big factor... You live in Atlanta... so I assume there are quite a few options and the prices will most likely be decent...

I work in a soundstage (with enough lighting gear to rival a rental house) so I don't rent... but I've had friends rent and say it was pretty affordable.

I work in a soundstage (with enough lighting gear to rival a rental house) so I don't rent... but I've had friends rent and say it was pretty affordable.

sounds like you're just bragging about your access to cool lights while letting privilege blind you to the fact that some people want to light their films and DON'T have $5,000 laying around. not every city has a rental house.

...we get it, you're like, totally in the industry. cool beans. keep it to yourself and try offering a reasonable solution instead of steamrolling the conversation with ableism.

Last edited:
sounds like you're just bragging about your access to cool lights while letting privilege blind you to the fact that some people want to light their films and DON'T have $5,000 laying around. not every city has a rental house.

...we get it, you're like, totally in the industry. cool beans. keep it to yourself and try offering a reasonable solution instead of steamrolling the conversation with ableism.

He lives in Atlanta. He has access to rental houses. And it doesn't cost 5,000$ to rent lights.

He asked if I knew prices, which I don't because I don't rent.

-------

Since when is renting not a reasonable solution?

-------

Also what does your comment give to the discussion? Other than trying to bait someone?

Back