Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old 12-23-2017, 11:20 PM   #3001
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Blackcoat's Daughter Available on Amazon Prime. Not sure what I think of it. Not sure what is going on in the story, exactly. That's in part why. It does have fairly nice atmosphere, largely thanks to a nice soundtrack. Well, I tend to like slow burners, and I love them when done well. Is this a slow burner, though, or just a film in which not a lot really happens until the end…and then the more action packed denouement is not so much a denouement but something rather inexplicable that doesn't really feel like it follows? Let's say I found it not quite satisfactory there—my initial response.

It has a twist; I think it's appropriate to say. The twist is that it's a Spoiler: slasher (genre). I put it in spoiler tags because I suppose that would be a spoiler. Huh. The thing is, the difficulty is, that Spoiler: slashers have their fans as well as those who are not generally fans. So it's kind of strange to make it a twist. If you're a fan, then great. If not, then not so much. Eh. I don't know. I'd like to compare it to other films, but such comparisons would, I guess, be spoilers.

Is it fair to say The Shining is a slow burner? I think maybe so. I keep thinking of The Shining as sort of a slow burner comparison with maybe similar tension. If that's fair, then it's not in bad company.

I think maybe 6/10. If I were judging it only by story, then I think I'd give it a lower score, maybe 4 or 5. But, I think at least it's worth a viewing by filmmakers and enthusiasts who are interested in slow burners, mood, atmosphere, and how a good score and take you far…do some of the heavy lifting for you.

Last edited by richy; 12-23-2017 at 11:28 PM.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 12-24-2017, 02:29 AM   #3002
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge 5. If you look form a movie with a annoying cliches and characters that stay the same even after 14 years, look no further. 3/10

Cars 2. What a mess... 2/10

Cars 3. Passing, editing, story. This movie is not for even a second a boring. 8/10
Feutus Lapdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #3003
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Downsizing
2/5

Everyone walked out of the theatre feeling hoodwinked.
I turned around at the crowd and asked if that was what anyone expected. All I saw were disappoined faces shaking 'no'

This wasn't a comedy, nor was it an adventure film.

It was a straight up drama romance film.
There's literally only one "oversized" prop in the entire film.
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #3004
Maxsdad
Basic Member

My son's and I watched "Kingsman" over New Years. My sons (26 and 46) thought it was the greatest movie since "The Phantom Menace", I thought it was the BIGGEST POS I've seen since "The Ridiculous Six". 2/10
Maxsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #3005
buscando
Basic Member

haha awesome review, Maxsdad. You mean the 2nd Kingsman?
Did you hate the 1st one too?
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #3006
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Myths and Monsters. 9.5/10 (on Netflix)

It's really good, especially the first episode, which is a nice explanation of the hero's journey. It's a nice show about story telling. It features lots of lovely art to illustrate their narrative. Well done.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #3007
WalterB
Basic Member

Guardian of the Galaxcy.
I think it is a fun movie :-)
Nothing too serious
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #3008
ClemensWijers
Basic Member

Jurassic Park 10/10
Interstellar 10/10
ClemensWijers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #3009
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Blade Runner 2049. I bought the video last weekend having not seen it. Not sure what I think of it yet. Better let it live with me for a bit. Pretty sure it will not be as influential or iconic as the original. Suffers a bit from being created in these times. Suffers from not being directed by Scott. The romance between K and the holographic girl is lovely and it made me think of Her, naturally. Her is a very good movie and I recommend it.

Spoiler: The CG recreation of Sean Young didn't really cut it though, and that's a pretty serious shortcoming, sorry to say. It really didn't capture her resemblance. Oh, it looks pretty close to being a real person…it just doesn't look enough like Sean Young.

Without Googling it, do they intend to make a sequel? If so, cool. Seems like it is intended. Will the box office receipts allow it?

It reminded me quite a bit of another film, Automata. I think in some ways it is quite similar and actually a superior film, minus the lovely nudity: sorry to say it's lacking that. I kind of think, to some extent, it is a better "sequel" to Blade Runner.

Last edited by richy; 01-27-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #3010
WalterB
Basic Member

Blade of the Immortal (8/10)
Bloody yet sometimes funny samurai film by Miike Takashi.
It is an adaptation from a manga.
The tone is far less serious than in his 13 Assassins remake, but it has great fighting scenes, nice twists and clever edits.
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #3011
buscando
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy View Post
Blade Runner 2049. I bought the video last weekend having not seen it. Not sure what I think of it yet. Better let it live with me for a bit. Pretty sure it will not be as influential or iconic as the original.
Does 2049 have good special features? I wanna see those.
Have you seen the BTS docu on the 1st one called Dangerous Days? pretty amazing.
I agree with you about 2049 suffering from being created in these times & with Scott not directing.
I wish he had done this, I think it would have a better chance of being influential. But I still like it a lot.

Re: the spoiler, that's Tyrell's fault, not the filmmakers' haha
If you like "Her", check out Netflix, Black Mirror, Season 2 episode 1, "Be Right Back".
It came out the same year & I actually liked it better.

Wiki says a sequel depends on 2049's success but it doesn't look like it's made a profit yet, which is a shame.
Its exploration of concepts & ideas is a nice companion to other sci-fi films that are more action/fantasy. Hopefully it makes a lot more money on home release. Or maybe it will grow a following later like the 1st one. I'd love to see a 3rd film by Scott.

Last edited by buscando; 01-25-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #3012
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Star wars last jedi. meh. kinda boring.
only interesting parts to me were bc I wanted to see what happened to the luke skywalker character
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #3013
buscando
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
Blade of the Immortal (8/10)
Bloody yet sometimes funny samurai film by Miike Takashi.
It is an adaptation from a manga.
The tone is far less serious than in his 13 Assassins remake, but it has great fighting scenes, nice twists and clever edits.
I couldn't get through 13 Assassins but I really like Blade of the Immortal, cool samurai film with a bit of a supernatural angle.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #3014
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
Does 2049 have good special features? I wanna see those.
Oh no I haven't watched those yet. Oh...goodies to look forward to. I hope to soon.

No I haven't seen Dangerous Days. I will try to. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yeah, I think I will like it a lot too. I do really appreciate it. I appreciate that it was made. I appreciate that they didn't compromise it by making it a PG-13 film. It's cool.

It does make me think of a little quibble I have. I once had a silly blog post here about Blade Runner. I asked what exactly replicants are. I meant: what do the movies themselves say? It seems to me very little, actually. It seems to me the first film, and this film as well, is vague, probably intentionally so, and maybe sloppily so, even if done artfully. I mean there's the android comment, but are they really androids? No, it's doesn't seem to follow, in my opinion. It seems they are genetically engineered humans, organisms. They are biological. Spoiler: They are sexual. So, how much sense is it that their sexual reproduction would have monumental, pillar-shaking importance? I don't get it.

Not that it bothers me, really. They use it to move the story along. So be it. It's all in good fun.

Tryell, lol. Yes I suppose so.

Yeah, hopefully it will do well enough overseas, on video, and beyond so that a good follow-up will be made.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #3015
peacemaker
Basic Member

Last 5 films I watched:

Seven Days in May (1964) 9/10
Duck Soup (1933) 6/10
Drive (2011) 8/10
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1943) 5/10
The Conversation (1974) 9/10
peacemaker is online now   Reply With Quote