Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #196
gibbo
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer41 View Post
The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)

A very fine film! 9/10. Watch it if you get the chance.
Just started reading the book, will definitely check out the movie afterwards.

I watched "Made in Dagenham" last night... I liked it and the wife loved it, I would say 7.5/10 the wife said 10/10 after we watched it. You'd appreciate it more if you were female.
gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #197
jayelowe
Basic Member

Four Lions 7/10 Hilarious, if your funny bone is flawed.
Hunter Prey 6/10 Nice, low-budget sci-fi flick!
jayelowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #198
jayelowe
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Funk View Post
Seriously? I'm the only person who caught that?

Awkwaaaard.

I guess I should answer the question.

Tangled -- B+
King's Speech -- B+
True Grit -- A
Tangled was surprisingly funny. At least it was the first hundred times my four year old made me watch it.
jayelowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #199
EgillBoy
Basic Member

Change of plans (2011)

Change of plans (6.5/10)

good film, good story, ok DP, but not to good acting

overall kinda cheazy.

not my kind of movie at all.
EgillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #200
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

Just saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Meh.
NickClapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #201
NickClapper
Basic - Premiere Expired

Just saw 13 Assassins.

I'm not a Samurai movie guy but that was pretty damn cool (when they weren't all committing harakiri that is)...
NickClapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #202
Tinalera
Basic Member

Don't know if it counts as a "Flim" (its a Documentary Mini-Series)

But I am Re-Watching "The Civil War' by Ken Burns.

Simply fantastic- 9/10 (from my previous viewing )

Curious choice I'm Canadian, but I'm a bit of Civil War buff
Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #203
Zensteve
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy View Post
The Triplets of Belleville. Grand!
Nice mention!

In unrelated news, against my better judgement I took my old-folks out to see Sucker Punch. (I'd seen it before).

Big disconnect goin' on there.
Zensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #204
nic88
Basic Member

An Anime called Tekkonkinkreet, adapted from the manga by Taiyo Matsumoto, directed and written for the screen by Michale Arias. Incredible story, animation, everything about this film blew my god damn mind. Im very picky when it come to anime, dont like a lot, but this film is so enthralling and deep, but action packed and interesting, i had to watch it twice in the same day. I would have to give it a perfect 10, thats how passionate about this movie i feel. People like to say that Mindgame, another movie from Studio4 Degrees, is better, but honestly, they dont know what they are talking about.
nic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #205
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
In unrelated news, against my better judgement I took my old-folks out to see Sucker Punch. (I'd seen it before).

Big disconnect goin' on there.

So you liked Sucker Punch, though?
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #206
barnaclelapse
Basic Member

Thunder Road: 4/5
-I'm a huge Robert Mitchum, and this was just a lot of great, ridiculous fun.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #207
Ernest Worthing
Basic - Premiere Expired

POTC4: 5/10.

They forgot all the amusing moments they had without dialogue.
Ernest Worthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #208
JoshL
Basic Member

I knew I'd be in the minority on this one, but I loved the new Pirates movie. My girlfriend and I watched all the old ones, back to back, and then went to see the new one. I thought it was just as fun as the previous ones. I didn't enjoy it as much as World's End, but it's more of a stand-alone story, rather than the climax of an arc (also, it's hard to beat the opening sequence of World's End). I thought it did a good job of maintaining the style, while not being a constant stream of references to previous films (which franchise films are often guilty of). I'm always partial to zombies too (more voodoo zombies than romero zombies, but still very different)

Most importantly, I thought it was a great example of starting a new storyline without rebooting the franchise. Though I did appreciate hints at Jack's backstory (and like that they've continued to give only hints), I am over-frustrated by origin stories. It seems like (particularly with comic/geeky franchises) they know how to start, but have a hard time keeping it going. Even changing actors, there's little reason to reboot a relatively current franchise (we're looking at you, Spiderman). Sometimes, it does work (I love the new Batman films more than any of the older ones). Usually, you're telling the same story over and over rather than, oh, I don't know, ANYTHING else out of 50+ years of stories. Hopefully, someone will learn something from the new Pirates movie.
JoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #209
polfilmblog
Basic Member

Limitless
8/10

I had a couple problems when I read the script, before the thing had even filmed. Yeah, the ending is sort of anti-climactic. The Russian gangsters are sort of stock.

My big problem is that the smartest guy in the world does really, really stupid things. Like not paying off the mean Russian gangster who threatened to kill him in a most horrific way -- immediately, even though he had the money. That kind of stupidity wouldn't get past any third grader in the audience.

The second stupid thing he did was not get a gun, although his bodyguards had been dissected, and again, he had plenty of money. So he's basically a sitting duck waiting to die in his little fortress. Every redneck with a 40 IQ would have a gun in that situation. Not so smart.

Thor
7/10

I expected it to be more of a 5, or less. So this is actually progress. I actually liked the way Thor made his big sacrifice moment.

However, it was still a special effects craptacular for far too much of the film. The worlds weren't so believable. The hitting you over the head with evil bad ice thugs got tired real fast.

Plus Thor started out as an asshole. Then, his brother who was more reasonable turns out to be an even bigger asshole. Too much asshole.

Up In the Air
5/10

I guess I don't like Jason Reitman. This movie was just boring. Thank You For Smoking was a little better on that front, but pretty offensive in the end, championing a cold blooded cigarette lobbyist as a hero. Juno annoyed the crap out of me, and I can't stand the dialogue or the characters in that.

Up in the Air never really went very far. It was surface material throughout. Seems a bit exploitative in retrospect making the guy who's a hired gun to fire thousands of people supposedly sympathetic. There's a JR pattern that doesn't work for me, with his choices of protagonists. Plus he's too slow and boring. Sorry.
polfilmblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #210
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
...I am over-frustrated by origin stories. It seems like (particularly with comic/geeky franchises) they know how to start, but have a hard time keeping it going. Even changing actors, there's little reason to reboot a relatively current franchise (we're looking at you, Spiderman). Sometimes, it does work (I love the new Batman films more than any of the older ones). Usually, you're telling the same story over and over rather than, oh, I don't know, ANYTHING else out of 50+ years of stories. Hopefully, someone will learn something from the new Pirates movie.
Amen.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote