• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 9:00 Short Film. "Dice"

Hey guys, I made a short film called 'Dice' about 3 months ago, it's not the best compared to others, but it's my best and I would love some feedback.

Credits:

Director: Ethan Newsom

Editor: Ethan Newsom

Writer: Ethan Newsom

Wilson Dice: Ean Smith

Jefferson Randoff: Elijah Jepson

Dan Anderford: Ethan Newsom

Agent 51: Casey Mitchell

Thanks!

-Ethan Newsom

"DICE" By Ethan Newsom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UE77JOEZGE

Your opening credits and logos ran :26. too long. I watched till 2:40. What struck me was the camera placements were not the best choices. It didn't all edit together convincingly. I didn't buy the FX either.

That said, keep at it and you'll get better.

Good luck!

That's a toughie... editing isn't a mechanical process, it's more organic. And the more varied camera angles you have the more effective edits you'll be able to make.

There's a flow and ebb to editing much like waves crashing across a beach. It's rhythmic... sometimes it's steady and slow, sometimes it comes faster... but there's always a rhythm. Editing is very emotional. Usually, the closer your edits are together, the faster time seems to flow... it can build anticipation or lead to a feeling of danger or suspense. Longer edits (how long you hold a shot) can speak to stability and a more relaxed or expositional feel.

It's sad, but a lot of modern feature films really come up lacking in the art of editing. If you really are interested in improving your editing and overall filmmaking skills, I would recommend sitting down and watching some classic films from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Watch the film once to enjoy it, and then watch it again critically, paying attention to why the director and editor made certain decisions. Turn off the sound. Why was the film edited like this... what was being communicated simply by how the film was presented. It's one of the best, and cheapest, ways to learn.

Hey thanks for the advice man. Might I ask what I could do to edit better?

The other fella answered the question fairly well. It takes practice.

Specifically though, your clips could be shorter, sometimes a lot shorter. Just because you have a take doesn't mean you should use it. Action on the screen MUST keep people from looking at their watches, so keep your clips short and move the story right along!

Good luck!

Back