I'm going to do it!

sfoster

Staff Member
Life is for the living.
I am going to make a great short film!

The script is 3 pages, and it will take me about a year and a half to shoot.
It's a super hero action comedy

I've also got a separate, one-day crime-thriller set to film on march 9th.

ah, gotcha. will the change of seasons make things difficult or do you live somewhere that isn't too affected by winter versus summer?

Mostly it's either indoors or in the city so I don't anticipate any problems.
We do get bad winters sometimes with snow but right now shooting isn't scheduled to start until June.

I know another camera guy that I've worked with in the past. I convinced him to read the script and make sure that he is okay with doing the project. That is where I'm getting the June date, it's his availability assuming the sexual nature of the script doesn't turn him off.

I don't even have any sex scenes :lol:
It's more like an american pie type thing with a bunch of awkward sexual situations

So I'm up 90lbs now, and my mustache has fully grown in. The fat cop look has arrived.
I just need to create a custom patch, get the badge and I can take a picture.

Still waiting on this other guy to finish reading the script and say if it's okay with him, although I don't actually think it will be a problem. Yet it's stressful to be reaching for my masterpiece short film and the pieces are falling apart on me. In all a days work for the indie film maker.

I'll be calling in every favor I have for this project, but I have to be in front of the camera for nearly every shot and it's not going to happen without a crew.

Last edited:
Huge update

After a lot of introspection I've decided to throw out 12 of the 15 pages. I'm only keeping the first 3, which was the original short story and I am going to rewrite the rest of it.

I'm scaling WAY back on the comedy. (superhero action comedy)
I had these comedic setups in there that took a minute or so and if they don't work it's dead space. Not only that but comedies never win big awards.

I'm replacing the humor with sentimentality, adding some more heart to the script.

I'm giving the antagonist super powers too and giving him his own scenes where the hero is nowhere to be found.

Instead of an existing relationship being thrown onto the rocks I'm starting with my hero single and he meets a love interest.

^

After making these decisions above, I then proceeded to write about 2 pages worth of ideas over the course of this month. Just ideas. And didn't love any of them. And was banging my head against this wall all January. Intense writers block.

Finally tonight I have a new complete outline.
All of the risqué parts were in search of laughter. Now that I am abandoning the comedy, this film is no longer controversial in a sexual manner.

There is also no longer a dream sequence full of topless women :lol:

There must be a way to put that sequence in the story :lol:

I second this :yes: Oh well at least we have this scene https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WmeaAGe4uMo

:lol:

I'll have to save that idea in my back pocket for the future.
I've changed the tone to heartfelt and I can't compromise my masterpiece :)

I'm feeling very passionate lately and I want to flesh out this new plot, but I've got to finish a script for episode 3 of my web series first.

Setting a goal for myself to have both screenplays done by the end of february.

Some big news, I've decided instead of a lengthy behind the scenes I am going to create a full length Documentary based around the creation of this film.

I've already been in a documentary before by academy award winning directors (Last Cup). So having me in a second documentary is like a spinoff, perhaps it will appeal to distributors!

There is also some insane BTS stuff going on for this movie, such as all the weight changes. And a lot more. It's going to be very exciting.

Hey,

It's been almost a complete year since I first asked why this project would take you a year and a half to shoot. Have I kept reading each page of this? No not really, but I skim it every once and awhile.

I've read that you've gone through a lot of weight changes for it, that you've made a lot of plans, worked on the script a lot, and now even this information about making a full length documentary around the creation of a 15(?) page short film.

I see all of this pointless as within this past year you shouldn't have changed any weight until you had the script set and ready to get moving. I understand your passion, but I don't understand the pacing. Movies and their sequels have released in just the time of you writing and tearing down your script.

Honestly, I only point this out because I was REALLY hopeful to see an amazing short within 2 years time from an IT member who is very active and appreciative of the help the site provides. It would show that this site actually makes an impression on careers. (As I assume IT and YouTube are your sources of learning.)

So yea... Currently your lowest estimated date of release for a single short you announced in Early 2014 is Mid 2016?

-----------

I can't iterate enough how much I actually am supportive of this... I'm sure this post will make me sound like an asshole, but I'm not intending it that way. Hope you understand.

I've been working on the concept of this story since before I even joined indie talk. But it was only an abstraction, with the creation of this thread I was declaring my intent to make it a reality and began a true preproduction process.

The project will take me a year and a half once production begins (June 2015) so that time table places it around January 2017 to be complete.

I'm trying to move faster, it's frustrating as hell. And yes I did jump the gun on gaining weight, partly because I am frustrated and want to get this show on the road! At least I have a production date now, I think that's a huge accomplishment. Hopefully the thread is not too pointless. But maybe switching to a documentary instead I won't feel the need to post as many updates here.

The project will take me a year and a half once production begins (June 2015) so that time table places it around January 2017 to be complete.

I'm trying to move faster, it's frustrating as hell. And yes I did jump the gun on gaining weight, partly because I am frustrated and want to get this show on the road! At least I have a production date now, I think that's a huge accomplishment. Hopefully the thread is not too pointless. But maybe switching to a documentary instead I won't feel the need to post as many updates here.

For a year already I think your updates have been actually well timed and on key. I don't believe they were all entirely productive, but they were nice to see you were staying dedicated to the project throughout the year. So I wouldn't recommend stopping that.

Early 2017, whoosh, that's a long time from now bud. I still wish you luck though, perhaps even more so in hopes you can get an earlier production.

Sometimes things need their time, while other things in life claim that time as well :)
I know that feeling: eventhough I'm making videos full time, I don't have enough time to make everything I want. (At the moment my clients get priority over my little projects.)

I'm looking forward to the result :)
With or without the dream sequence ;)

It saddens me that you're scaling back on the comedy. I quite enjoyed the script you sent me

I really appreciate you saying that, I put a lot into that script as this thread can probably attest.

I think I'm on to something with this new concept, but I'll reserve final judgement until I can read both versions side by side.

Early 2017, whoosh, that's a long time from now bud. I still wish you luck though, perhaps even more so in hopes you can get an earlier production.

I'm working on a crime thriller series too, so that drains a good chunk of my creative mana. I have my moments of speed but overall I would admit I'm a slow writer. Slowly I am getting faster. I've written 8 short stories now.

Sometimes things need their time, while other things in life claim that time as well :)
I know that feeling: eventhough I'm making videos full time, I don't have enough time to make everything I want. (At the moment my clients get priority over my little projects.)

I'm looking forward to the result :)
With or without the dream sequence ;)

I can't make excuses, this is my priority in life. The important thing is that it's going to happen! eventually :lol:

I'm making good strides as a writer. I have my full web series written, 45 pages, and today I've just finished the first draft of the new version of my superhero action comedy.

Good news everyone, I have kept the dream sequence with topless women in the garden of eden. But I reduced it to just 3 since I figure that's a good, reasonable number.

Overall I'd say this new script is a great improvement. It has more heart.
But i've got to film that dream sequence really soon. Winter is coming.

They're not going to get topless for me come winter. The rest of it I can film anytime of year.

Last edited:
I'm making good strides as a writer. I have my full web series written, 45 pages, and today I've just finished the first draft of the new version of my superhero action comedy.

Good news everyone, I have kept the dream sequence with topless women in the garden of eden. But I reduced it to just 3 since I figure that's a good, reasonable number.

Overall I'd say this new script is a great improvement. It has more heart.
But i've got to film that dream sequence really soon. Winter is coming.

They're not going to get topless for me come winter. The rest of it I can film anytime of year.

Besides that: the Garden of Eden should be green and sunny as well.

This means you need to start scouting for the location and starting casting.

Besides that: the Garden of Eden should be green and sunny as well.

This means you need to start scouting for the location and starting casting.

Yes I just need to get my usual DP/producer to read this new manifestation of the story and confirm that he's okay with the material.

wait, aren't you in the northern hemisphere?

summer like just started, so this is confusing to me :P

I was being a little silly, but in seriousness winter will be here before I know it. Like you said I've got to start location scouting immediately. I've got about 2 months of solid warm weather. possibly 3.

Back