• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenplay Contest Scams And Lack Of Professionalism

I am trying to avoid Film Festival scams.

Does anyone know of any that are scams?

Here are a couple where I got caught...

1. There was a screenplay contest run by a department at an American University. I sent in my screenplay and paid. I also emailed a complaint as their web site wasn't working properly. The department head responded to my complain by informing me that I had "lost" in the contest, LESS THAN ONE HOUR AFTER ENTERING and submitting my screenplay and that I would not be considered further, even though the site set a schedule in which no-one else would hear about the first round results for over a month.

2. Another screenplay contest scheduled the winners which did not included me, but when I checked WAB, my screenplay had never even been uploaded by them.

3. the London International Film Festival Screenplay Contest attracts literally thousands of entries. I was unclear whether I could enter as it is for British screenwriters. I live in Canada, but I am still a British citizen. The boss guy there said it was fine so I entered. Then I hear that I am in the top twelve. (I still have the email) Shortly afterwards, on a page listing these top British screenwriters, they list the Winner and the next ten runners up, but I am not included. When I enquire why my name, as a finalist was left off. They tell me that I could not be considered or posted as I was not valid as I lived in Canada.

4. The Indie Gathering - I was accepted as a late entry, but won an honourable mention. I was promised a certificate. Despite repeated calls, now 5 years later, I am STILL awaiting this certificate.

Incredible!

In the last few seconds, I received this email from Sun Valley Film Fesitval stating...

"We had an extraordinary amount of entries and we regret to inform you that your script was not selected. "

...Even though my screenplay was never even uploaded according to WAB!

Back