Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Equipment

Old 08-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
shootman
Basic Member

Video Editing Control Module

Should I want to use a video editing controller? I'm familiar with using the controls within the software. Just wondered about the table top control module and if it had some advantages.
shootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
El Director
Basic Member

The biggest advantage is that once you program it, you can move between NLEs with little fuss. When I transitioned from Adobe to Avid, I bought the Shuttle Pro 2 and it made the process of learning Avid so much easier.
El Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

You dont need to spend the money on one, especially when youre just starting out.
I don't have one.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You're like a beginning golfer researching the best tees and shit dude just golf!
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
shootman
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
You dont need to spend the money on one, especially when youre just starting out.
I don't have one.
I've been using the software brand for about 8 or 9 years. I'm not new to editing per se. I'm new to the upgrading of this current computer. And I want to be on point with this computer for this latest software version upgrade. And if the controller makes it that much easier, and worth it, I will consider it.

Last edited by shootman; 08-12-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Then only you can answer that. Buy one. If not for you ebay it.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

the software engineers that developed these nle programs did so with the intention of people using the program with a keyboard and mouse. youre in no way limited using the software in its intended manner. its a premium convenience
Old 08-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #8
shootman
Basic Member

Quote:
the software engineers that developed these nle programs did so with the intention of people using the program with a keyboard and mouse. youre in no way limited using the software in its intended manner. its a premium convenience
So even with the ability to personally customize and program the controllers, you still don't see the ergonomics? And because you don't use it means it's not needed, okay man.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #9
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

One of my mentors told me "if you don't use it every day you don't really need it." If you do use it every day, will it speed up your workflow? Maybe it eases repetitive motion issues. Then there are the budgetary issues - could the money be better spent elsewhere?

Just think it all the way through before you make your decision.
Alcove Audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:17 AM   #10
shootman
Basic Member

lol, I'm just looking for anyone that is actually using them to just tell me their experiences and what advantages they see. Please no offense, but I'm just looking for that and that only.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #11
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootman View Post
So even with the ability to personally customize and program the controllers, you still don't see the ergonomics? And because you don't use it means it's not needed, okay man.
well then i dont think you understand the definition of the word needed because if it were needed i wouldn't be able to work without it
Old 08-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #12
shootman
Basic Member

Quote:
well then i dont think you understand the definition of the word needed because if it were needed i wouldn't be able to work without it
Need is subjective. Please reread my post. Again, please, I'm just looking to hear from actual users.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Geez... folks caught up in the “I don’t use it myself, so there’s no reason you should” way of thinking.

Edit controllers - tactile control surfaces - can speed up workflow. It’s not as black and white as “you need it” or “you don’t need it”. It is subjective. It’s really about the way you personally think and work. In that, only you can decide.

I use tactile control surfaces and I love them. For me, it’s better than memorizing several pages of keyboard shortcuts. Instead, I have assignable buttons and a scroll wheel. But then, I go back to the days of tape-to-tape editing so it’s familiar for me like having a U-matic or BetaSP control panel in front of me.

ProTools is the same way. You could argue that it was designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse, but a multi-fader control surface makes all the difference in the world.

The other thing to consider, shootman, that made a HUGE difference for my workflow (NLE, DAW, compositiing, PhotoShop... everything) is a Wacom tablet. I don’t even have a mouse connected to my computer anymore. It feels much better and has more consistent control across the desktop. I actually like it better in an NLE than I do a control surface.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #14
shootman
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAl View Post
Geez... folks caught up in the “I don’t use it myself, so there’s no reason you should” way of thinking.

Edit controllers - tactile control surfaces - can speed up workflow. It’s not as black and white as “you need it” or “you don’t need it”. It is subjective. It’s really about the way you personally think and work. In that, only you can decide.

I use tactile control surfaces and I love them. For me, it’s better than memorizing several pages of keyboard shortcuts. Instead, I have assignable buttons and a scroll wheel. But then, I go back to the days of tape-to-tape editing so it’s familiar for me like having a U-matic or BetaSP control panel in front of me.

ProTools is the same way. You could argue that it was designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse, but a multi-fader control surface makes all the difference in the world.

The other thing to consider, shootman, that made a HUGE difference for my workflow (NLE, DAW, compositiing, PhotoShop... everything) is a Wacom tablet. I don’t even have a mouse connected to my computer anymore. It feels much better and has more consistent control across the desktop. I actually like it better in an NLE than I do a control surface.
Wow, thanks AcousticAl, that's what I was hoping to hear. If they don't know, they don't know.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #15
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootman View Post
Need is subjective. Please reread my post. Again, please, I'm just looking to hear from actual users.
i got it dude, you dont want to hear from me. ill stop trying to help you. no worries and good luck