Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Old 09-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Gabe-KC
Basic Member

So my protagonist is quite unlikeable?

I've come up with an idea for a mystery screenplay, which I think could be really interesting. But the protagonist is basically a stalker, who's following his high-school crush around. I was wondering if you had any tips on how to make a protagonist like that likeable?

I know it's possible. In Phone Booth the ''hero'' was a really despicable person, but we were still rooting for him to beat the sniper.
Gabe-KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe-KC View Post
I've come up with an idea for a mystery screenplay, which I think could be really interesting. But the protagonist is basically a stalker, who's following his high-school crush around. I was wondering if you had any tips on how to make a protagonist like that likeable?

I know it's possible. In Phone Booth the ''hero'' was a really despicable person, but we were still rooting for him to beat the sniper.
Don't go for likable, go for relatable. See movies like Nightcrawler if you want a recent movie where the main character is a "bad" guy.
stevencwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Gabe-KC
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencwood View Post
Don't go for likable, go for relatable. See movies like Nightcrawler if you want a recent movie where the main character is a "bad" guy.
Thanks for the advice
Old 09-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe-KC View Post
Thanks for the advice
Yup, you should give some info regarding your character. I've written a bunch of stuff where the main character isn't a traditional good dude who you'd want to route for.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
Gabe-KC
Basic Member

Quote:
Yup, you should give some info regarding your character. I've written a bunch of stuff where the main character isn't a traditional good dude who you'd want to route for.
Well, the idea is still in that early stage where things might change in half a minute. Since then I realized that I can write the story in such a way that the stalking will seem justified. I'm not exactly going for a ''bad guy protagonist'' here, so I think this will serve the plot better.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

Quote:
This. "sympathetic" is also what it's called.

Dexter was a serial killer but we were able relate to him and/or have sympathy at times.

I watched the movie "Young Adult" with Charlize Theron. She is very unlikable. Her motivations are bad.

But you end up feeling sorry for her and although you hope she fails in her motivations and goals, you do hope she has an "awakening" and right at the end, you think it's going to happen and then...nope.

You "root" for her to fail but also simultaneously "root" for her to wake up and get on the RIGHT track.
UneducatedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneducatedFan View Post
This. "sympathetic" is also what it's called.

Dexter was a serial killer but we were able relate to him and/or have sympathy at times.

I watched the movie "Young Adult" with Charlize Theron. She is very unlikable. Her motivations are bad.

But you end up feeling sorry for her and although you hope she fails in her motivations and goals, you do hope she has an "awakening" and right at the end, you think it's going to happen and then...nope.

You "root" for her to fail but also simultaneously "root" for her to wake up and get on the RIGHT track.
Monster is another one
Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

"there will be blood" has the most unlikable protagonist i've ever seen on film.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
"there will be blood" has the most unlikable protagonist i've ever seen on film.
Hitler in Der Untergang
Feutus Lapdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feutus Lapdance View Post
Hitler in Der Untergang
woah hitler was the protagonist?? never saw that one
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

You may also want to consider how a man stalking a woman as the protagonist factors into today's climate and adapt as needed.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
stevencwood
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
You may also want to consider how a man stalking a woman as the protagonist factors into today's climate and adapt as needed.
Reverse the roles, go the route of The Hand That Rocks The Cradle or Poison Ivy. That'll show 'em.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 AM   #13
Panos
Basic Member

Who is the antagonist? Maybe show the antagonist as worse from the protagonist. The antagonist could be the bad past life of the protagonist that made him not to know other ways to "chase " a woman, yet he is hopping that this girl will change that life.
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote