Bell & Howell 8mm film Cameras

I just scored two Bell & Howell film cameras dirt cheap.

One is a Bell & Howell Duolex-S 8mm, and the other is a Bell & Howell Director Series Filmosonic Model 1224 Super8mm camera. I really know nothing about these items.

It looks like they both take cartridges. The Duolex-S came with a cartridge in it that seems unused.

Anyone familiar with either of these cameras?

In regards to the Bell & Howell Duolex-S. It loads itself with a cartridge of film.

Do I just buy standard 8mm film and fill the cartridge myself, or do I buy another cartridge with the film already in it?

Is standard 8mm film just 16mm film that you flip over to expose the other half?

I asume I'll be needing ASA 40 film for regular use?

The only time I've ever used a film camera was several years ago with a very brief encounter with a Bolex.

In regards to the Model 1224, it isn't working. Through the viewfinder, there is only black, as if the lens cover is on (which it is not), and the unit won't run on batteries. I've tried to open the camera, but can not. Anyone know how to open one of these without a hammer?

Last edited:
The cartridges come pre-loaded; I can't imagine trying to do that myself. Good luck finding them, but there are still sources. Cartridges mean they are probably Super 8 film (not the older standard 8 - I think the difference is room for sound, and the cartridge). There was a 'Split 8' format - 16mm film that was run through the camera twice and then split in processing, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen such a camera.

The cartridges come pre-loaded; I can't imagine trying to do that myself. Good luck finding them, but there are still sources. Cartridges mean they are probably Super 8 film (not the older standard 8 - I think the difference is room for sound, and the cartridge). There was a 'Split 8' format - 16mm film that was run through the camera twice and then split in processing, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen such a camera.

They run two completely different cartridges. One is definitely Super 8, as it says on the camera. It didn't come with a cartridge. The other came with a cartridge that won't fit in the Super 8, not even close, you can open the cartridge and see where you feed it around, and it lets you flip it making two sides, side 1, and side 2.

Yep, there was a cartridge loading regular 8 camera. If I
remember correctly it was the "Filmo straight 8". I've never
heard of the Duolex-S. You will not find any suppliers anymore
of the 8mm cartridge. I don't see why you can't load the cartridge
you have yourself. I've never seen one but if you can get into
it and close it properly so there are no light leaks then it can be
done.

Most 8mm film was the "double 8" format. 16mm film run
through the camera, flipped and run again.

I used to use a standard 8mm camera from Sears that used reusable cartridges that you would load yourself.."speed loading", because you would simply pop-in the cartridge without having to fumble with the roll of film. (And yes, halfway through you would flip over the cartridge to expose the second half of the film). At the end of the day you would take the film out of the cartridge and send it to Kodak. If your camera has one of these "reloadable" cartridges, it will have a button on it, allowing you to easily open it up without tools.

I managed to get the Model 1224 working. After I stripped it apart I'm pretty sure the battery contacts on the inside were a bit dodgy, so I screwed around with them. Then I found a loose mirror bouncing around inside, I found where that was meant to go and painfully glued it back into place. Now the motor runs and I can see through the viewfinder. Now to just get a hold of some super 8 film and test it out!

Last edited:
Back