Tech help with a GoPro Hero5 Black

Hi. I'm hoping you fine folks with some technical chops might answer a few questions. I'm shooting a documentary about losing weight. I've lost a significant amount of weight and want to document my experience losing the rest. I'm very over weight, so it will take quite a while. I chose the GoPro Hero5 Black because it shoots in 4K and it can go with me anywhere very easily. Exercise, doctor visits, etc. I plan to be at my ideal weight and post bariatric surgery sometime during 2019. If I understand correctly, 4K will be more widely used format at that time. These are some question I have:
1. What's the best frame rate to shoot on in 4K for a documentary? 24 or 30?
2. Would a lower resolution still be acceptable for broadcast sometime after 2020. Like 2.8k or 1080p? The reason I ask is because of the of the options of shooting in an fov besides Wide. Or being able to use image stabilization.
3. Will watching a film shot in 4K Wide fov look weird if you're viewing it for like 90 minutes?
4. I've heard that the GoPro can have the fisheye "removed" is post production. Is that right? Will it effect 4K?
5. I'm going to be using these two mics to start with and buy better ones soon after when I've had to e to save up. Just not sure how soon. Mostly the uni-directional mic, also.
https://www.amazon.com/Edutige-ETM-008-Uni-Directional-Microphone/dp/B00J5GQ7AW
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058MJX4O/?tag=05060701-20

I understand that I'll need a GoPro mic adapter. Will I also need this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6C8PNU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_E2Ljyb50VBQKA

Also, I'll need to get an extension cable for the mics. Can anyone tell me what kind? Like a 20 foot cable. But I'm not sure of the type. Like a male to female? Female to female? Forgive my ignorance.

If you can think of anything else I should know before I begin, I would be most grateful. I have very little experience shooting anything at all. And really none with this type of technology. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have very little experience shooting anything at all. And really none with this type of technology.

I haven't touched the 5, but done a few thing with the 4 and 3.

4K will be more widely used format at that time

Not to nick pick, but 4k is a resolution, not a format.

What's the best frame rate to shoot on in 4K for a documentary? 24 or 30?

It depends on where you're showing this. 30 for NTSC TV, 24 for feature, 25 for PAL based TV.

Would a lower resolution still be acceptable for broadcast sometime after 2020.

It might be. My crystal ball is on the fritz ;) It'll depend on the deliverable requirements of that time. Some select places are requesting 4k deliverables now.

Don't get confused with the resolution of your captured assets and delivery resolution. You might shoot in 4k on your GoPro and still fail QC at 1080p, or capture at 2.5k on an Alexa and easily pass QC when upscaling to 4k.

I've heard that the GoPro can have the fisheye "removed" is post production. Is that right? Will it effect 4K?

Yep, and yes. Any manipulation will effect the image in some way. It'll still be 4k, though there will likely be some data loss.

I'm unfamiliar with any of those microphones. I'm sure it's happened, but I've never heard of anyone plugging a microphone into a GoPro. Not sure if you can get good sound from this plan but for all I know, you're only looking at Youtube broadcasting. Professional level sound might not matter for you. I'd be curious to see how it turns out.

If I were you, and you're looking at TV, I'd put some serious thought into a professional level sound kit. Something like a SD 633 or F4 and a couple of good wireless units with Cos11's or DPA's. It'll cost you way more than you'll want to spend but without it, you're likely to fail audio QC for TV. Even better would be to hire a professional soundie for the job. Even if you have the equipment, you still need to learn how to use it and monitor the output.

If you can think of anything else I should know before I begin, I would be most grateful.

There is boatloads of what you should know before you begin. You need to know way more than I know. There's a reason TV shows like these sometimes have credits featuring dozens, with most over 100 professionals, many with decades of experience.

Good luck with your weight loss. and show.

I haven't touched the 5, but done a few thing with the 4 and 3.

Not to nick pick, but 4k is a resolution, not a format.

It depends on where you're showing this. 30 for NTSC TV, 24 for feature, 25 for PAL based TV.

It might be. My crystal ball is on the fritz ;) It'll depend on the deliverable requirements of that time. Some select places are requesting 4k deliverables now.

Don't get confused with the resolution of your captured assets and delivery resolution. You might shoot in 4k on your GoPro and still fail QC at 1080p, or capture at 2.5k on an Alexa and easily pass QC when upscaling to 4k.

Yep, and yes. Any manipulation will effect the image in some way. It'll still be 4k, though there will likely be some data loss.

I'm unfamiliar with any of those microphones. I'm sure it's happened, but I've never heard of anyone plugging a microphone into a GoPro. Not sure if you can get good sound from this plan but for all I know, you're only looking at Youtube broadcasting. Professional level sound might not matter for you. I'd be curious to see how it turns out.

If I were you, and you're looking at TV, I'd put some serious thought into a professional level sound kit. Something like a SD 633 or F4 and a couple of good wireless units with Cos11's or DPA's. It'll cost you way more than you'll want to spend but without it, you're likely to fail audio QC for TV. Even better would be to hire a professional soundie for the job. Even if you have the equipment, you still need to learn how to use it and monitor the output.

There is boatloads of what you should know before you begin. You need to know way more than I know. There's a reason TV shows like these sometimes have credits featuring dozens, with most over 100 professionals, many with decades of experience.

Good luck with your weight loss. and show.

This is very very helpful. Thank you so much.

Back