FAQ suggestions

I hope I'm not out of line suggesting this (if so, let me know).

Something that gives information about questions which gets the same answers a LOT (How do I get started type questions and questions about Copyright, particularly in regards to music and it's uses in films)
I (and others) see these answered constantly with the same answers, sometimes 2-3 times a day, and wondering if maybe a sticky FAQ in the newbie thread (or elsewhere) might be a reference point?

Maybe sticky it and everyone can put their 2 cents in and keep updating the "first" post. I'm willing to start the thread and keep the first post edited with info.

Or am I WAY out of line....if so, I'll crawl back into my hole....;)

One of the things that attracts me to Indietalk, and one of the things that make me stick around day after day as a volunteer moderator to help keep it this way, is the personal attention these types of questions receive. While you see the question again and again, the person asking does not. It's new to them. And it means a great deal when a guru or premiere member whose opinions you've grown to admire answers your question personally.

In other words, this site is different than most others on the interwebs...it is truly more community than mere research corner.

So if you have the time and know the answer to a question, chime in and offer an answer! If you don't have the time and don't want to read a thread because you've seen it again and again...something new is bound to come along soon enough.

Of course you aren't out of line.

One of the things I like about this forum is the personal
touch new people get. While a commonly asked question
can be handled in a sticky or FAQ, it can also encourage
a lot of "Look at the sticky", "We have a FAQ for that"
replies. Those of us who are here a lot tend to see questions
as the same thing over and over. But to the people asking,
it's the first time. It can be nice to get a personal answer
from one or more people.

I don't mind answering the questions.

Last edited:
Of course you aren't out of line.

One of the things I like about this forum is the personal
touch new people get. While a commonly asked question
can be handled in a sticky or FAQ, it can also encourage
a lot of "Look at the sticky", "We have a FAQ for that"
replies. Those of us who are here a lot tend to see questions
as the same thing over and over. But to the people asking,
it's the first time. It can be nice to get a personal answer
from one or more people.

I don't mind answering the questions.

Yea...I actually see that, now that both of you mention it (it's one of the reasons I love this site).

I hadn't seen it from that angle, but it makes sense. The people do go out of their way to personalize their answers, and sometimes in humerous ways (ROC's response to a recent post of this ilk made me laugh out loud). I do go to other boards where they say "look at the FAQ" complete with :rolleyes: or handpalm( I don't think we have that smiley-I'd have used it for my thread on facepalm moments:lol:), and it makes you feel dumb for showing an interest. People are good about that here(I go to a hockey discussion board for hockey, and being a newbie you're treated with disdain)

I retract my suggestion upon reflection-it does work well the way it is.:)

(I go to a hockey discussion board for hockey, and being a newbie you're treated with disdain)
And I know we all see that same thing on other filmmaking
messageboards.

I love giving the personal touch to newbies. I remember
getting started (long before the internet) and asking the
few pros I encountered questions. I am a very shy person
and walking up to someone was terrifying. I remember
well those who treated me badly. And I remember well
those who took the time. I want to be remembered as
the guy who helped.

Believe it or not, one of my mentors, one who took the
time, was Harlen Ellison.

And I know we all see that same thing on other filmmaking
messageboards.

I love giving the personal touch to newbies. I remember
getting started (long before the internet) and asking the
few pros I encountered questions. I am a very shy person
and walking up to someone was terrifying. I remember
well those who treated me badly. And I remember well
those who took the time. I want to be remembered as
the guy who helped.

I have always wanted to meet that man (him, Neil Gaiman, and Terry Pratchett)-he is quite a visionary, and good to hear he took the time!

I know I(even being a newbie myself) enjoy passing my advice to other new ones, and I spend a lot of time in here (I wouldn't be a moderator I don't think though-I'm horrible at TELLING people what to do:lol:)

Not too long ago I saw a video recording of a live forum featuring a panel of commentators, one of whom was Harlan Ellison. I think they were discussing the future of communication technology, or some such topic. Anyway, H.E. stated that he disapproved of the Internet as a news dissemination medium because it tends to give equal weight to all voices, regardless of their actual qualifications, or lack thereof. The quote I particularly remember from him went something like:

"People argue that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I disagree. Everyone is entitled to his or her informed opinion."

I liked that a lot. My co-worker called it elitism, which it may very well be, but I still think his point is well taken.

Back