Raising money for your film

Hi

Ive just completed my Screenplay, and I want to Direct the Feature Film. Im a first time Screen writer and not directed anything before. I have a Crew already interested in working with me, which includes
Camerman / Cinematographer
Director of Photography
Sound Crew
Editor
Production Assistants

Now, the film is an Irish based comedy, that potentially has big commercial appeal. I have also looked at each scene, what would be required, were I could save cost etc....Could someone advice on the steps THEY would take next, i.e. Investors, Producers etc? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

I'd say start by finding a good producer who has some experience with similar projects. They'll be able to give you some rough ideas of what kind of budget is necessary and realistic based on your script and the market for similar films.

I'd say start by finding a good producer who has some experience with similar projects. They'll be able to give you some rough ideas of what kind of budget is necessary and realistic based on your script and the market for similar films.

thanks for the reply...Because of the theme and background to the story, I want to get involved in raising the money for the budget...If I found a good Producer, would they normally feel like I was outing their nose out of joint, if I wanted to co-produce with them?

pre-production and production possibly upto £50,000...but its the Post production, marketing costs that will shoot the overall cost up...at the minute ive no idea regarding the post production marketing etc...is there any good methods to calculating marketing costs etc???

Is there a way you could cut costs by having people work for experience?

Ok, have a little more time to respond.

The best way is raise finance for a film is to increase the value of your film. Having a named actor, director, producer, writer or production company on your film can all help bring up your value. I'm sure you're not thinking, "chicken and the egg" right? Yep, that's about right too.

Failing that, pre-sales can show your value. Pre sell some territories to distributors and you potentially then have your proof of concept to take to investors, and perhaps even a large chunk of your budget.

Get your business plan and PPM in check and go investor hunting.

Just be aware, most films don't get finance because they're not ready to be funded. One way around it is to crowd fund. It's mostly a painful experience but it can sometimes be just what you need.

Good luck!

thanks again for the replies.....ive started work on my Business Plan. Location wise, I cant see being much of an issue, as the village its going to be set, as I will discuss the tourist potential if the film does well. The 'big event' of the movie takes place in a well known Sports Stadium in Ireland, but once again, I am confident, the people in charge will see this again, as free publicity for the Stadium.

I have two roles I want to fill with Known Actors. Both Actors are well known established Actors, with one, a truly Hollywood Superstar. Now I know you will think ive got no chance attracting this Hollywood star but I am confident, as im close friends with his Nephews and having already spoke to his sister (whos my ex teacher and neighbour), has told me he is very interested in helping local talent, so she will forward the screenplay onto him once my plan is complete. The other Actor, once again, I believe I stand a good chance of getting him interested.
Rest of the roles are going to be filled by unknowns (sorry if that isnt the correct term). I am going to advertise Casting calls at several Colleges etc that have Acting courses. I want to wait until I have received word from my possible two established actors before holding casting auditions, as with them on board, I can sell the idea that this film will be massively benefical on their CV...If successful with securing investment. I plan to gain interest by starting a Facebook page regarding the film, as its about a particular sport as a back drop, I will send a link to all the Sports team to linke the page. I have a few other ideas regarding Marketing as well that wont cost much.

Now you can saying im dreaming big, but why not. The Crew that are interested in making the film, have experience of feature films, although, as Director, I have no experience. But I have went over each scene etc, and know how I want it too look, themes, experessions, etc...

Sweetie, you mentioned Pre-sales, is there any method of coming to a rough figure how much this could be???

Other thing that I know ill need to seriously consider before I start anything, is Contracts and any legal compliance to consider. Are there Solicitors / Lawyers who handle feature films as a speciality?

The 'big event' of the movie takes place in a well known Sports Stadium in Ireland, but once again, I am confident, the people in charge will see this again, as free publicity for the Stadium.

Be prepared for one topic with them. Liability.

Sweetie, you mentioned Pre-sales, is there any method of coming to a rough figure how much this could be???

Yep. Talk to your sales agent, assuming they're reputable. They'll ask you a bunch of questions that will determine the basic value of the film and be able to give you a basic run down of the minimum, medium and maximum expected amount for each territory. Be aware, it's rare that every territory will sell unless it's a blockbuster.

Other thing that I know ill need to seriously consider before I start anything, is Contracts and any legal compliance to consider. Are there Solicitors / Lawyers who handle feature films as a speciality?

Yep, they're called entertainment attorneys. You'll want your legal adviser to be someone with experience in distribution.

Be prepared for one topic with them. Liability.

Yep. Talk to your sales agent, assuming they're reputable. They'll ask you a bunch of questions that will determine the basic value of the film and be able to give you a basic run down of the minimum, medium and maximum expected amount for each territory. Be aware, it's rare that every territory will sell unless it's a blockbuster.

Yep, they're called entertainment attorneys. You'll want your legal adviser to be someone with experience in distribution.

One way I can cut costs with Liability, safety concerns, is my back ground in Health & safety, so have plenty of experience with this, plus some experience organising insurance / safety for festivals and sports events........Excellent reply Sweetie, much appreciated. Just one simple question, what do you mean by Terroirty'...thanks

One way I can cut costs with Liability, safety concerns, is my back ground in Health & safety, so have plenty of experience with this, plus some experience organising insurance / safety for festivals and sports events........

Liability as in, if someone gets hurt, how are you going to avoid them being sued. The usual answer is insurance.

Just one simple question, what do you mean by Terroirty'

A territory is a region. Eg. USA is a region (also somtimes includes Canada), Germany is a region, China is a region, Australia is a Region and so on.

It sounds like you may do well to read a primer book or two on film finance and distribution. It'll lift the fog somewhat... or it will completely confuse you.

Back